Farmall A front wheel trouble

Were the remains of the cotter key in the spindle hole?

I haven't cleaned the spindles up yet. The tractor is sitting on blocks in one of the pastures right now so I left the grease slathered on it while I get the wheels ready to put back on so it wouldn't rust. I'll get the answer when I get ready to put the wheels on. The dust cap is in the shop so if there was a sheared cotter key there should be some small pieces in the grease.

Were the remains of the cotter key in the spindle hole?

While I was feeding the cows I went to look at the spindle to see if there was a sheared cotter pin in it. Sure enough there was. It was hard to find the hole at first since the nut cut threads into the sheared pin. Once located I drove the remnants out with a small punch. At least I know it wasn't running without a cotter pin for the last 16 years.

100_3481-m.JPG100_3482-m.JPG

Finally got back on this small project. Dad wanted some grease fittings put in the hubs and I installed the bearing races. Just need to get the old seals off of the spindles and they will be ready to install.

GOPR0669-m.JPGGOPR0672-m.JPGGOPR0673-m.JPGGOPR0674-m.JPG

Like the videos that old "A" fired right up nice, I'm always amazed at the leap forward IH made going from the "F" series to the A B C H & M's
Thanks for posting Cjet

3 pulls is usually all it takes on cold starts. As long as it has fuel and spark it fires right up. Occasionally when its warm it can take a few more cranks as long as you don't flood it. Then it can be a problem getting it started.

Back