Harbor Freight products

skyrydr2

Tractorologist
Gentlemen and gentlewomen , I must report about this Harbor Freight Vulcan welder, the ProTig 200 that I got 5 years ago! It is still never ceases to amaze me! This little monster just performs like you can't possibly imagine! I have welded just about everything you can imagine with it, from copper to carbide aluminums to all kinds of steels . It performs wonderfully! Even with stick it is the same scenario! I even have brass welding rods that it will lay a bead as if you were welding stainless (of which I find welds the easiest!) !
If your looking for a wicked nice, easy as hell to use total kick ass powerhouse get one of their Vulcan welders! They totally ROCK!
Oh and their Vulcan pro series auto darkening helmet is the most comfy helmet I have ever put on and does it look awesome welding too! Almost true colors are what you see through it I love LUUUUVE IT!
I have a big bad assed Miller too and prefer the Vulcan hands down! It performs soooo smooth!

Attachments

• 16069073690375076570904150017509.jpg
    16069073690375076570904150017509.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 23
I have the Vulcan OmniPro multi process 220 and like yours, the best welder and easiest to use I've ever used! Set the type of process, choose metal thickness, and it automatically chooses heat setting, and for wire welding...the feed speed. It chooses a spot on setting too! I have owned and operated a lot of welders, but this one tops them all! I have an older huge stick/TIG Hobart, but this Vulcan way out performs it. The only edge the Hobart has is it's 300 amp output. I bought my first MIG welder many years ago from HF and it died soon as I struck an arc, so I stayed away from anything electrical that HF sold for years until I read so many good things about the Vulcan line. I'm so happy I bought this Vulcan unit! It really is a superb welder! Sounds like I'm a paid spokesperson, but no, just a VERY happy owner!

I guess I been out of the loop...
Welding copper and brass???

Absolutley, i can stick weld with brass rods and tig copper pipe or what ever it may be easily.
Tig welding brass is a bit challenging as it will blow out at the hint of any contamination!
I use pure copper wire for filler material all the time and it is gorgeous looking and strong too!
Ya just need to have a really good glove because that copper filler rod gets real hot really fast!
Silicon bronze filler rod is a sheetmetal worker's go too rod for tig welding thin stuff as it melts at a fairly low temp compared to steel fillers.

Last edited:
Extra Christmas dollars coming in I say, for olcowhand and skyrydr2. Great write ups guys, if I needed a new welder, that's what I'd be lookin at. I never heard of stick welding with brass rods, but I'm just a backyard welder. Thanks for the information.

Noel

Absolutley, i can stick weld with brass rods and tig copper pipe or what ever it may be easily.
Tig welding brass is a bit challenging as it will blow out at the hint of any contamination!
I use pure copper wire for filler material all the time and it is gorgeous looking and strong too!
Ya just need to have a really good glove because that copper filler rod gets real hot really fast!
Silicon bronze filler rod is a sheetmetal worker's go too rod for tig welding thin stuff as it melts at a fairly low temp compared to steel fillers.
I'd like to see a video of you stick welding brass rod!!

Sounds like a great machine! Thanks for the reports! Probably won't be in the market for a new welder but my old auto-dark helmet may be on the horizon to replace.

DAC

When my welder was bought, it was needed so I could go down inside one of our annealing furnaces at work and repair the broken elements inside. As it was the least expensive unit available and had high frequency start.
We got it and that very first job paid for it 3 times over!
I set the little booger up on a cart and it was all good things from then on. At first it was a bit reluctant to drive a rod on the stick settings it recommended so I just turned it up more, well I'm not sure if a welder would require a run period or not but the more I used it over time the better it got, now it is dead on pushing rod. Tig welding it has been perfect right from the beginning.
Welding aluminum with it at first was wicked tricky(only because I was a rookie on an inverter driven welder using a/c ) I was using the wrong tungsten and didn't have the proper arc balance dialed in . But I did some reading and figured it out, now its fun to weld aluminum!

Back