Harkness single furrow plough home at last

Another step forward in my restoration I am trying to track down an original one is an original Harknes plough hammer and spanner the other 2 will doo until I find a real one they are like hens teeth20230427_140018.jpg plough spanner hammer combination

Attachments

• Harkness hammer 22-4-23.jpg
    Harkness hammer 22-4-23.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Old hammer 22-4-23.jpg
    Old hammer 22-4-23.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 6
Update on landside,End result 25-4-2023.jpg back from the blacksmith now finished ready for fitting and then on to the painting ready for the first rally very happy with end result the plough is so rare you will never find a an original landside

Attachments

• Finished item.jpg
    Finished item.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Nice finish 25-4-2023.jpg
    Nice finish 25-4-2023.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 7
Question Fife as I understand it this was a locally made plow like at a blacksmith shop and they only made a few it that right
Hi John Harness was a blacksmith from Dumfries area of Scotland the smiddy made Harkness horse ploughs Single furrow ploughs I have 1 of 3 that I know of they made 2 furrow ploughs for tractors there is one ,3 furrow plough in existence and they made 2 furrow drag ploughs all the boards were the same.John Harkness had an apprentice who took over the smiddy died in 2022.The smiddy still stands today with all the moulds for the plough parts .The ploughmen in the area are keeping their eyes on things .All over Scotland there were smiddies that made ploughs to suit the the soil in their area .some names Fisker ,Star ,Newlands, Low to name but a few.I am waiting on someone giving the history and number of Harkness ploughs made and how many ploughmen use them today. PS they were made from the 1940 s until 1960

Hi John Harness was a blacksmith from Dumfries area of Scotland the smiddy made Harkness horse ploughs Single furrow ploughs I have 1 of 3 that I know of they made 2 furrow ploughs for tractors there is one ,3 furrow plough in existence and they made 2 furrow drag ploughs all the boards were the same.John Harkness had an apprentice who took over the smiddy died in 2022.The smiddy still stands today with all the moulds for the plough parts .The ploughmen in the area are keeping their eyes on things .All over Scotland there were smiddies that made ploughs to suit the the soil in their area .some names Fisker ,Star ,Newlands, Low to name but a few.I am waiting on someone giving the history and number of Harkness ploughs made and how many ploughmen use them today. PS they were made from the 1940 s until 1960
Hi File thanks for that informative posting very interesting when you get more history let us know, blacksmiths are all but gone here in the Midwest US I remember several of the guys the we had here in my small town was a very voluble asset to our area I still have and use several things he made for me

Another puzzle today .When you took off the skimmer for high cut ploughing you put on this spacer to keep the disc tight and to stop the spindle from wearing .Who would have thought this out ,a very clever man Mr John Harkness was such a man .I have heard there used to be 6 men working full time in the smiddy .The men worked 24 hours a day keeping the furnaces going to pour the moulds as everything was made in the smiddy .It was said that they made 136 ploughs a year not bad for a village smiddy.

Attachments

• close up disc.jpg
    close up disc.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Harkness spacer 2023.jpg
    Harkness spacer 2023.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 6
At last some paint on my Harkness single furrow plough, need to turn it upside down to finish the painting.If it ploughs as well as it looks I will be very happy 5-5-23 nice set up .jpg5-5-23 painted.jpgClean look 5-5-23.jpg

Attachments

• E27N blue 5-5-23.jpg
    E27N blue 5-5-23.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Clean look 5-5-23.jpg
    Clean look 5-5-23.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Nice colour 5-5-23.jpg
    Nice colour 5-5-23.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Looking good 5-5-23.jpg
    Looking good 5-5-23.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 5
Great discovery today.Started to clean up knife skimmer ,discovered the words J Harkness Ruthwell and H L stamped on the parts thi makes it original with makers stamp ,great find.J harkness was the Scottish plough maker and Ruthwell was where the smiddy was ,more historyJ Harkness Ruthhwell 7-5-23.jpg

Attachments

• Harkness Lea knife skimmer 13-4-23.jpg
    Harkness Lea knife skimmer 13-4-23.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Harkness knife and skimmer 7-5-23.jpg
    Harkness knife and skimmer 7-5-23.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 2
Some done to my Harkness single furrow plough some surprises Knife skimmer is stanmped H L could be Harkness Lea skimmer ,Disc skimmer is stamped H D could be Harkness disc skimmer .Some painting done .When I dismantled the disc skimmer I found the twine bearings still intact ,Now that is one for the books If it is original it is from the 1940 era ? not bad for a piece of stringHarkness Lea knife skimmer 13-4-23.jpg

Attachments

• Hammers in place 9-5-23.jpg
    Hammers in place 9-5-23.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Bonnie blue hammer 9-5-23.jpg
    Bonnie blue hammer 9-5-23.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 8
  • close up disc.jpg
    close up disc.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Touch of blue.jpg
    Touch of blue.jpg