Hill Top adventures

Today our calves left. Just shy of 7 weeks JR fed them. The farmer was happy how good they looked. He thought they looked very healthy. So now the chore of forking out the pen. JR said he about threw his back out getting one load. In a couple weeks we will probably get some more. It has given us some quality time together every morning caring for them.

23° this evening, and predicting low teens until morning. The mud of the fields should be solid again for the first time in weeks. Planning to wake up the Gravely from its winter slumber and haul some more firewood. Been too warm and muddy to even dream of getting the wood out.

A nice dead maple tree was found for today's firewood detail. JR was running the Gravely hauling. Wow, did she start hard in the 16° this morning. I had a couple logs in the briars that were waiting for a tug out into the open, so that was done right away and JR learned quick how little traction frozen mud has. A little slip of the wheels and it's ice. By 9:30, a pan of oatmeal was ready to be devoured and that ended the cutting. Then it was off to the Lebanon tractor show.

Bet none of those 'shiny' ones ever have been put to use! Just a trailer queen!

I prefer the "never again" category for the ones I've restored that nicely.

Gotta have a few garage queens around to look pretty and some workers to get dirty

Going over to my parents today for a work day. Their old gutter fell off and the old angled faceboard won't work easy with the new gutter. Going to build it out to give a flat spot then wrap it with aluminum. Nephews are planning to give some help which will be nice. All extension ladder work. Up and down, up and down.

When the neighbor calls and asks if we want a fire in the garden. It seems the wood ashes had enough hot coals to light things up. I knew it was a hot bucket which is why it got dumped right away.
0224201954.jpg

I got the chance to drive the Gravely today. JR didn't like the wind and was in the barn working. So I hauled a couple cart loads of walnut home. That will make a nice fire next winter.

Spent a day at a vacation house remodel. The owner wanted a big open first floor. So we heaved some heavy duty lumber in there. 2 ply, inch and three quarters by 24 in high, 24 foot long. And some long heavy screws to lock every thing together. The kind of screw that lets the smoke out of all our drills and impacts.
0226200814.jpg

This week we started a new project. A 3 story 5 unit townhouse building. 33' × 100', it is all simple production framing. But wow, it feels like a big one with 2 guys. After doing a lot of oddball remodeling this winter, the pace of all new construction is putting a hurting on this guy. Totally realizing that my age is showing. This afternoon I set all the second floor joists. The boss spread them out and cut pieces. And I nailed and nailed. Ready for 3000 square ft of subfloor.

With rain in the forecast today, it seemed like a good day to finish a few odd projects. First was the railings on a deck we did last week. Special custom ordered rails, supposed to be at the lumberyard 3 days ago. But, no, it's not there, still on a truck getting there later today. So that was a bust. On to the next job, a leaky ridge vent. That didn't take long and was home by lunch time on a rainy Friday. A good time to continue the kitchen repaint. But no, the wall I wanted to do today, all patched and ready, had a new hole knocked in it. Life in a house of boys.... Other times I found toy tracks in the patches..... So I patched that and got another wall ready.

Finally some spring tractor time. We plowed the garden today. Definitely not the best plowing, we were struggling with the plow tilt and tracking. Using a sleeve hitch with an a-frame on the 3pt. Somehow with our garden on a slope it doesn't work the best. But we had fun and got some dirt turned.

Pops at home means JR has a taskmaster...... We are still muddling through our kitchen repaint. Working at prepping and priming the cabinets. And JR got forced into helping today. Just about ready for paint which I haven't got yet.... I kind of doubt a paint store would qualify as a life sustaining business.
0323201528a.jpg

Back