Hill Top adventures

After spending the past 10 years traveling 150+ days a year, I am quite content to sleep and eat at home. Eating out three meals a day three and four days a week or more, gets old real fast. Eventually all menus start to look the same.

After spending the past 10 years traveling 150+ days a year, I am quite content to sleep and eat at home. Eating out three meals a day three and four days a week or more, gets old real fast. Eventually all menus start to look the same.

I feel you there. For awhile I lived out of motels. 7 days out. 7 days home for months at a time. At first it was fun. Then it got old and my health suffered from it. Been awhile since I've had to live like that

Finished up a house today. Old school technology, no forklift, there wasn't room on the site for it. Heaved a lot of lumber around. Man was I sore evenings.
0514201427.jpg
This evening we planted 8 rows of potatoes, mostly red and a few white. And have been working with JR on his school work til late every night. Boy can find way too many distractions to get anything done on his own. Very frustrating for pops and we have a couple weeks to go yet.

Last week I spent a couple days on a mini excavator again. Tore out another section of stone wall at the old barn we are trying to save.
0519200932.jpg
A century of dust in that wall. After I pulled the demo out of the way, I took the mini in between the 2 rows of props to dig a footer. Tight squeeze, had about 3" to clear.
0519200937.jpg
Then I loaded up some of stone and hauled it to a neighboring estate to fix up a washed out culvert.
0520201458.jpg

Spent yesterday trying to organize the tools on the new crew truck. Fri it was raining bucketfulls, so instead of working, we pulled all the tools out of the old truck and piled them in the new one. Claustrophobic chaos.
0522201843.jpg
A bit of organizing and shelf building.
0523202033.jpg
0523202033a.jpg

A beautiful Saturday to spend some time in the garden. I cleaned up some of the taters and spread grass clippings to slow the weeds. JR ran the cultivator through the area not planted yet. Hoping to plant this coming week. Planted a short section of red beets today, used the seed tape idea.

Another disgusting scene in my kitchen this morning. Water dripping from the ceiling again. Going to go with all new pipe in the whole house. It was plumbed with copper and brass fittings and they are failing. Plans are to use Pex with plastic fittings and to only use half as many as before. This afternoon I was looking at the pathetic way some lines were run, and JR said, I think you need another pot of coffee.
0605201732.jpg0605201732a.jpg
And a nice positive pic, a deck we built this week.
0603201726.jpg

Never knew there was so many ways to connect pipe. So I called a plumber that works for the same builders we do for advice.

A few late nights and strong coffee. But there is running water to the upstairs bathroom again. All new pipe up from the basement which got interesting to run. Now it is another 2 baths, the kitchen and laundry. The kitchen will be another nightmare and the laundry will be slick n easy access. Trying to get new pipe tied into the old system and fittings kept breaking. Then it was patch that to recharge the old system so I could build the new.

A good feeling to get 2 bathrooms, kitchen and laundry done this week. Some crazy evenings, but it's done. But that feeling was short when the line to the kitchen faucet broke this evening. My wife thought my work looks nicely done compared to how the old lines went every which way.

Plumbing for me starts with fixing one area and before I'm done ive replaced it all.

The plumbing in the back half of my basement goes every where. One tee has a small drip. Drips maybe once an hour...im scared to death to touch it. If im lucky I can make 3 cuts and slip a shark bite tee in. But I'm never lucky. Ill screw up 6 other pieces when I move it around enough to get the new tee in....

Ideally I could eliminate about 10' of pipe that went to the old bathroom in the master bedroom thats now the living room. I need to tackle this before that small drip turns into a full blown leak.

Plumbing for me starts with fixing one area and before I'm done ive replaced it all.

The plumbing in the back half of my basement goes every where. One tee has a small drip. Drips maybe once an hour...im scared to death to touch it. If im lucky I can make 3 cuts and slip a shark bite tee in. But I'm never lucky. Ill screw up 6 other pieces when I move it around enough to get the new tee in....

Ideally I could eliminate about 10' of pipe that went to the old bathroom in the master bedroom thats now the living room. I need to tackle this before that small drip turns into a full blown leak.
That's how my basement looked for awhile, bronze fittings green and drippy. I just didn't know about the ones in the ceiling.

That's how my basement looked for awhile, bronze fittings green and drippy. I just didn't know about the ones in the ceiling.

Fortunately for me all my water pipes are in the basement. No water on the second floor at all. What does run into the first floor is all new that I've put in within the last 3 years. The front half which covers the kitchen and bathroom is new from the water meter inby. The pipes in the back run to the washing machine. Outside spigot. And the old bathroom that is gone.

Fortunately for me all my water pipes are in the basement. No water on the second floor at all. What does run into the first floor is all new that I've put in within the last 3 years. The front half which covers the kitchen and bathroom is new from the water meter inby. The pipes in the back run to the washing machine. Outside spigot. And the old bathroom that is gone.

What pipe did you use? I was recommended Pex. Which I found fairly easy to install.

Back