I acquired a Ford 8n

IHCubCadet147

Tractorologist
I got it from one of my dad’s friends, Joe. He got it from his boss about 2 years ago. It was in his wife’s family since it was new, they had a farm in New Mexico. They brought it with them when they moved here, then he got a promotion and moved to Oklahoma and didn’t want to take it with him, so he gave it to Joe. He was going to get it running but lost interest and got tired of it taking up space in his garage, so he asked if I wanted it. I can’t turn down a free tractor. He said it last ran about 8 years ago. The motor and transmission were supposedly rebuilt and have about 75 hours on them. The hour meter shows just over 1600 if it’s accurate. It needs the carburetor cleaned, but I did put a battery in it and poured some fresh gas in the carb and it started. It only ran for a few seconds but it sounded good. The gas tank is full of rust and varnish, so that will need to be cleaned, and probably coated with sealer. Otherwise it should mostly just need regular maintenance stuff, change the oil, grease everything, etc. I’ll get more pictures soon.

257614A6-82C3-44CF-A6B7-08379D149B76.jpegD706AE67-E6FB-4DEA-85B1-1FBAC5A61736.jpeg5D706A3B-7847-485A-A60D-D1165F39E6D5.jpeg55C273C5-245B-4046-BB4D-F520D3C861AC.jpegF6D780BE-4BB1-4C50-B1A5-6C121E0330CC.jpegA4E38098-3DB8-415A-841E-C8FCC2B51162.jpeg9BE53DF2-C5F8-4948-82FF-8F3247BD7CD3.jpeg

I got it from one of my dad’s friends, Joe. He got it from his boss about 2 years ago. It was in his wife’s family since it was new, they had a farm in New Mexico. They brought it with them when they moved here, then he got a promotion and moved to Oklahoma and didn’t want to take it with him, so he gave it to Joe. He was going to get it running but lost interest and got tired of it taking up space in his garage, so he asked if I wanted it. I can’t turn down a free tractor. He said it last ran about 8 years ago. The motor and transmission were supposedly rebuilt and have about 75 hours on them. The hour meter shows just over 1600 if it’s accurate. It needs the carburetor cleaned, but I did put a battery in it and poured some fresh gas in the carb and it started. It only ran for a few seconds but it sounded good. The gas tank is full of rust and varnish, so that will need to be cleaned, and probably coated with sealer. Otherwise it should mostly just need regular maintenance stuff, change the oil, grease everything, etc. I’ll get more pictures soon.

View attachment 84429View attachment 84430View attachment 84431View attachment 84432View attachment 84433View attachment 84435View attachment 84434
I could offer the repair manuals and OPS manual in PDF for free, but this site only takes tiny files.
:rolleyes:

Dang, Nick what a great score! Industrial radiator shops will boil out rusty gas tanks like that, around here at least. When a freebie starts right up what a good feeling! You are building quite a collection at such a young age!

DAC

Not a bad looking old 8N they are good tractors I've had one going on 40 years, you'll get it going clean the gas tank and carb and away you go
Thanks Gary. I never knew you had one.
Can't beat free. Even looks like the tires are in good shape.
The left rear has a big cut in the sidewall, but they have tubes, so I think it will be ok for a while. The one on the right side looks pretty new, as do the fronts. The left rear rim is rotted pretty bad, and the right one is starting in a few places. I’m guessing they are or were filled with calcium. They will probably need to be sandblasted and painted, hopefully they are not rotted through.
I could offer the repair manuals and OPS manual in PDF for free, but this site only takes tiny files.
:rolleyes:
Thanks for the offer. There is a service manual on GTTalk.
Dang, Nick what a great score! Industrial radiator shops will boil out rusty gas tanks like that, around here at least. When a freebie starts right up what a good feeling! You are building quite a collection at such a young age!

DAC
Thanks DAC. That’s a good idea, but unfortunately I only know of one radiator shop around here, and I have been told by a few people to never take anything there. I may end up just getting a new tank, but if this one doesn’t leak I’ll at least try cleaning it first.

I cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor, rigged up a temporary fuel tank, and took it for a ride yesterday. It runs good, and drives good in all gears, I didn’t notice any obvious issues. After that I washed it and changed the engine oil and filter, and drove it around a little more. Tonight I’m planning on taking the gas tank off so I can determine if it’s worth saving.
26DC3752-2FA0-4BCA-87DC-200F06843ADB.jpeg8AB67890-8036-4C19-ABCB-4B686391B7E0.jpeg0AD8451C-07FA-4060-A824-CCECD1F570FB.jpeg6DFBE67B-2DBF-4AA7-BC08-0C5945E289C5.jpeg

Some reason I think you know a body shop guy...
You showed that hood for a reason .... ;)
Looks like you're having fun Nick..
Yeah, I think I know that guy you’re talking about. ;) I think this one will get restored eventually, possibly over the winter. It doesn’t show much in the pictures, but washing it took a lot of the oxidation off and brought the color back. Now it looks gray and red instead of white and orange. That’s why I posted that.

Those little 8n's are nice utility tractors. I like Ford tractors and you have one of the more desirable years because of the distributor placement. I think just about every aftermarket tractor parts place handles parts for them. Rebuilt engine and transmission, you really fell into a pile of roses with that acquisition.
I think just about any category 1 implement will work with it.

Those little 8n's are nice utility tractors. I like Ford tractors and you have one of the more desirable years because of the distributor placement. I think just about every aftermarket tractor parts place handles parts for them. Rebuilt engine and transmission, you really fell into a pile of roses with that acquisition.
I think just about any category 1 implement will work with it.
Thanks Chris. I was surprised how many parts are available for these. Even Tractor Supply has one side of an isle that’s mostly 8n parts, although I think most of there stuff is way overpriced. I guess that shows how good they were, that there’s still enough around to be worth stocking parts for them 70+ years later.

Thanks Chris. I was surprised how many parts are available for these. Even Tractor Supply has one side of an isle that’s mostly 8n parts, although I think most of there stuff is way overpriced. I guess that shows how good they were, that there’s still enough around to be worth stocking parts for them 70+ years later.
Kind of amazing to think Nick but if you hang on to that 8n long enough you might have a 100 year ago tractor someday.

Kind of amazing to think Nick but if you hang on to that 8n long enough you might have a 100 year ago tractor someday.
2051, 27 years. It doesn’t sound that long when you think about how long the tractor has already been around. My Cub is a 1950, so 26 years for that. I bet most tractors made now won’t be around then, let alone 100 years.

I ended up ordering a new reproduction gas tank, and it came in Thursday. It was the cheapest one I could find. The reviews were mostly good, a few said they had to open up the holes and bend stuff to make it fit. I put it in over the weekend, and it fit perfectly. I also cleaned the oil bath air cleaner, which was filthy. It’s all back together together now. I ordered a new sediment bowl, since the old one leaks, and a new fuel line. They are supposed to be here tomorrow. Next up I am probably going to change the transmission fluid, and grease everything up, then it should be about ready to put it to work when I get some attachments.
DE13F1A5-A338-4D38-8EAE-903F93392439.jpeg13B22A91-AC5B-4EE8-A877-48ACA2AD28B9.jpeg10A98B45-FA6E-4F81-A037-68E4294F5D5D.jpegB109A34C-C560-451C-85E8-B701B3D5BF2F.jpegE9BE5DC3-01E0-47A4-925D-78A67258C44B.jpeg5C3A7E40-3403-4924-9E48-AED7974B7B96.jpeg

Back