JD X304

Got the engine ready to lift out of the frame. Hopefully this goes easily. Talked to the owners SIL, he is happy with what I'm doing. Gave the local JD dealer a 2 out of 10, said they would not go back. I'm finding lots of fasteners on this to be severely over torqued. Just a matter of getting parts here and hoping I don't open a wasp nest when I go in.

Governor setup is very similar to a Onan, but works in the vertical plane. As long as you disassemble it bottom up, you should have no issues with things flying out. Like Daniel said, it looks like maybe one or more of the "fingers" on the governor spider may have broken. There should be no pressure other gravity and/or outside spring pressure from the springs on the outside linkages.

Governor setup is very similar to a Onan, but works in the vertical plane. As long as you disassemble it bottom up, you should have no issues with things flying out. Like Daniel said, it looks like maybe one or more of the "fingers" on the governor spider may have broken. There should be no pressure other gravity and/or outside spring pressure from the springs on the outside linkages.
Thanks, Jake. I was planning to set it on the flywheel to pull the pan. Knowing nothing will come flying out makes me less wary of doing this. Not knowing how things are supposed to look in there is the major hurdle to get past. Don't want to put it together wrong.

Everything I took apart I took pictures and put them in a group then sent them to myself on the desk top for adding folders for that tractor. The thing I get nervous about tearing down an engine are the “play” tolerances. Every manufacturer has different specs.

Was just browsing YT for your engine and seen this. It’s kind of elementary up to the 8 minute mark then gets interesting talking about how hard the indent marks on the crank that aligns up with the camshaft is hard to see. It might be if some interest to you. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Back