John Deere 40 Grille repair

Thanks guys. Its sure taken long enough to get it to this point, but I did tell him that the farm work took priority, and he was fine with it. The goal today is to get the parts sanded and maybe shoot green on the inside of everything. Got the shop warming up now.

As soon as I get more thinner, I have to paint some JD yellow. It's a 18 hp repowered JD316 of an old friend's. Only supposed to paint the deck assembly, but may go on and paint all 4 rims. Once he sees the nice new yellow paint he may decide to get me to shoot new green,. but I hope not. His hood is still pretty good, but fender pan, not so good.

I should have had over half gallon of thinner and 3/4 gallon of pre-cleaner, but both, even though the caps were tight, both cans completely evaporated away! That's several $'s up in the air! Guess being I've not painted in several years I should have expected that though.

As soon as I get more thinner, I have to paint some JD yellow. It's a 18 hp repowered JD316 of an old friend's. Only supposed to paint the deck assembly, but may go on and paint all 4 rims. Once he sees the nice new yellow paint he may decide to get me to shoot new green,. but I hope not. His hood is still pretty good, but fender pan, not so good.
Just doing the wheels can really make a tractor look better.

I should have had over half gallon of thinner and 3/4 gallon of pre-cleaner, but both, even though the caps were tight, both cans completely evaporated away! That's several $'s up in the air! Guess being I've not painted in several years I should have expected that though.
I hate it when I grab a 1/2 to 3/4 full can of hardener and it has hardened. I'm sure I've tossed hundreds if not thousands of dollars in the trash over the years.

Because I have 1/2 the paint booth full of tractor parts and misc. I decided to just spray the D grille on its own. This way I will have plenty of room for the 40 parts on their own. Anyway, the D grille is now painted.

Attachments

• 100_5706-m.jpg
    100_5706-m.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_5707-m.jpg
    100_5707-m.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_5708-m.jpg
    100_5708-m.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_5710-m.jpg
    100_5710-m.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 4
Just curious Cjet how many different shades of JD green were there over the decades ?
There were supposed to be 2 colors starting with the Classic green that all of the 2-cylinder tractor were painted. Then they switched to the Ag green for the New Generation tractor like the 3010/4010 and all Lawn & Garden equipment. I don't know if the newest tractors have another variation or not, but I believe Deere only sells the 2 colors. Now when you talk about aftermarket paint manufacturers the variations are limitless.

Back