John Deere 40 Grille repair

Just doing the wheels can really make a tractor look better.

I hate it when I grab a 1/2 to 3/4 full can of hardener and it has hardened. I'm sure I've tossed hundreds if not thousands of dollars in the trash over the years.
I had a friend give me a couple cans of hardener earlier this year and spun off the caps of both to find it solid clear and rock hard!

Well, had to respray the D grille. I got a run on one side. I used some 600 grit paper to sand it to see if I could buff it out but went through to primer. No biggy, just had to sand it down again. It looks better this time also.

Attachments

• GOPR4269-m.jpg
    GOPR4269-m.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 8
  • GOPR4270-m.jpg
    GOPR4270-m.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 6
  • GOPR4271-m.jpg
    GOPR4271-m.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 7
  • GOPR4272-m.jpg
    GOPR4272-m.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 7
I'd bet before you got rid of the run that your paint job was way beyond in quality than the original factory paint! But I get it... you saw it and HAD to fix it! The older I get, the easier I can live with flaws. That can be good and bad! Lol

I'd bet before you got rid of the run that your paint job was way beyond in quality than the original factory paint! But I get it... you saw it and HAD to fix it! The older I get, the easier I can live with flaws. That can be good and bad! Lol
Pretty much had to do it as this is a show tractor. Also the guys in the tractor club would never let me here the end of it if there was a big run in the club president's tractor grille. :oops: He does work it some on plow days from time to time.

Made some stands to hold the John Deere 40 Hood and Grille. Gave it a final light sanding and masked off the inside. I'll warm the shop up tomorrow and get them sprayed.

Attachments

• 100_5728-m.jpg
    100_5728-m.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_5729-m.jpg
    100_5729-m.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_5733-m.jpg
    100_5733-m.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_5734-m.jpg
    100_5734-m.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 5
Looks great, CJet! I bet that is far better than the factory paint! Csan't wait to see it put together!

DAC
Very nice they all look great the hood the 40 grill and the D grill
Thanks guys.

The Owner of the D grille stopped by to pick it up today. When he asked how much I told him it was no charge. He looked at me funny and said he needed to pay something. I then reminded him that he gave us some John Deere BO parts a couple years ago that included a good crankshaft and flywheel along with some other parts. He said OK as long as I was fine with it. Also, Christmas is getting near.

I just need to put the grille screen back in and the Hood and grille mounting fasteners and I will be freed up to get some of my cr@p done.

Thanks guys.

The Owner of the D grille stopped by to pick it up today. When he asked how much I told him it was no charge. He looked at me funny and said he needed to pay something. I then reminded him that he gave us some John Deere BO parts a couple years ago that included a good crankshaft and flywheel along with some other parts. He said OK as long as I was fine with it. Also, Christmas is getting near.

I just need to put the grille screen back in and the Hood and grille mounting fasteners and I will be freed up to get some of my cr@p done.
Love the fact of, You help me and I help you, even though years have gone by. A good deed does have it's rewards.

I see some large rims in the back of the images. Are those part of the job too?

I see some large rims in the back of the images. Are those part of the job too?
The big 38" ones are for one of our John Deere B's and the smaller 22" ones are for a John Deere L. You can see the Green frame for the L standing up against the wall. The shop is such a mess that the paint booth has become the overflow storage for parts and paints. This is just a little of the stuff I need to work on to get this shop cleaned up

Finished up assembling the grille and installing the mounting fasteners on both hood and grille. Called my cousin and he jetted over in his Gator and picked them up. He is rebuilding the hydraulic pump right now so I will get some picks when he gets the hood and grille back on the tractor.

It's great that your cousin reached out to you for help with the John Deere 40. Your experience in the autobody trade will undoubtedly come in handy for restoring the grille. Taking the time to properly address the issue will likely improve the steering and overall appearance of the tractor. Good luck with the repair!

Back