John Deere AN project

cjet69

Tractorologist
I picked this up in late Oct. last year. I found it had a bad crank. The clutch splines were all wore out. I found a new crank and I am just getting back on this project.

So today I pulled the flywheel cover and then proceeded to the flywheel. I rolled in the engine hoist to pick it off the tractor rather than stress testing my back.

100_9822 (Medium).JPG100_9824 (Medium).JPG100_9825 (Medium).JPG100_9827 (Medium).JPG100_9828 (Medium).JPG100_9830 (Medium).JPG

Got a little more done today. I removed the right brake, first reduction gear cover, and reduction gear. Next up will be pulling the rods loose and pushing them up in the bores to get them out of the way. Then its just removing the oil lines, main bearing webs, and then the crank.

100_9832 (Medium).JPG100_9833 (Medium).JPG100_9834 (Medium).JPG100_9835 (Medium).JPG100_9836 (Medium).JPG100_9837 (Medium).JPG

I pulled the rods off the crank and slid them up in the bores far enough to get the crank out. Then removed the oil lines from the main bearing webs and pulled them off the crank. With a little wiggling the crank slid out the right side of the crankcase. I found the Babbitt bearing in the #1 rod cap has some damage, but the rod side looks OK. Also one main bearing has some pitting. At this point I am going to take inventory before I proceed.

100_9839 (Medium).JPG100_9841 (Medium).JPG100_9842 (Medium).JPG100_9846 (Medium).JPG100_9847 (Medium).JPG100_9848 (Medium).JPG100_9849 (Medium).JPG100_9850 (Medium).JPG

Didn't do much today, but I did Mic the old crank to compare it with the used one. The journals all measure the same between both cranks so it looks like it will work just fine. If I'm lucky I won't even have to pull any shims out of the rods or mains, but we will see once its back in the crankcase.

First off, thanks for sharing what your doing. I've never work on any JD tractor like that before and it is very interesting to see how relatively easy it was to remove the crank compared to any inline six or 4 cylinder engine.
Secondly, my back feels sore just looking at all of that heavy metal! I'm glad you were able to use the engine hoist to assist you.
Thirdly, It's a good thing that you found out that the bearings were bad and didn't run that engine much. It would have been sad to see a broken engine. It looks like the oil pickup is partly responsible for the engine problems.
Keep up the good work and keep taking those pictures!

Thanks for keeping us updated. Although I've listened to, looked at, and drooled over two cylinder JD's, for a good portion of my life, I've never had the privilege of being an owner. Never gave a thought about the crankshaft being removed out the side like that... very interesting!

Spent some time making a list of bearings and gaskets that will need replacing. The bearings I need are no longer supplied by John Deere so I am looking at some other suppliers for the best price. It always amazes me what different places will charge for the same bearing.

I am replacing the clutch roller bearing and the outer first reduction bearing. I ordered them from Amazon $59.66 for the clutch and $16.61 for the first reduction. NAPA had them at $104 and $83. The clutch bearing has the inner race pressed on the end of the crankshaft. Both bearings sounded like they were driving down a gravel road.

100_9917 (Medium).JPG100_9918 (Medium).JPG100_9919 (Medium).JPG100_9920 (Medium).JPG100_9923 (Medium).JPG100_9924 (Medium).JPG100_9925 (Medium).JPG100_9927 (Medium).JPG

Made a road trip to the John Deere dealer this morning and picked up the gasket that I had ordered. The bearings are suppose to arrive by the end of the week. I guess I better get the oil pump dropped out so I can clean the screen and get ready to reinstall the crank.

100_9936 (Medium).JPG100_9937 (Medium).JPG

Back