John Deere X570 Review

First time forum poster here. Yesterday, I took delivery of a new JD X570 with 48in deck and had the electronic mulch control kit installed. I'm coming from a 2008 X300 (425 hrs) that I had for 12 trouble free years and sold it on Craigslist a short time ago (within 24 hrs of listing). The reason for the change was to move towards mulching as opposed to bagging my clippings, filling multiple wagons and hauling the wagon loads to our common HOA dumpsite for yard debris. The other reason was I wanted to more comfortable ride since my sloped property is pretty rutty in spots and my back is tired of taking the pounding. Did my first mow yesterday and what a pleasure! The mulch control and blades did a wonderful job with the cutting and dispersal of clippings and the ride was quite a bit less bumpy due to the larger turf tires. The X570 most definitely feels like a more substantial lawn tractor and handled the slope without any difficulty. I am confident that this new tractor will be more than adequate for my needs (mowing about one acre and towing a wagon on occasion). I have noticed that with the 48 in deck, it is a little more cumbersome getting on and off the tractor compared to the X300 with the 42 in deck. Here in the Pacific NW, the grass is wetter in the Spring and so the side discharge will come on handy.

So I clarified with the salesman that the first oil change occurs at 8 hours even though the operator's manual stated 50 hours. Other than adjusting the overinflated tires from the factory, leveling the deck, adding a bit of transaxle fluid to the reservoir, and checking the engine oil level, the X570 was ready to go. I appreciate the previous reviews in helping me make my decision to buy the X570.

Rick

Glad my review/thoughts helped you.

It is a fantastic tractor. I cut with mine today. Did a beautiful job as always.

Its been completely flawless.

I did disable to reverse lock out and the seat safety. Thats all I have touched.

If things are still good next year (with work and other obligations), I may sell my x570 and upgrade to the x700 series (really don't need it, but why not?). Not for any real reason other than I just want to play with something else. Or maybe not. I am still in love with the x570

Last edited:
Rick, congrats on your new toy!
My 20 hour update.
Here are a few observations, hopefully useful to anyone trying to make their final purchase decision:
Any comparison below is to my now dead Craftsman with the 46 inch deck, [used to have a 42 inch - yes the 46 does fit, just need to transfer one bracket ].
I am no longer concerned about what will break next and what I have to fix/replace before next cut, or if I will finish cutting the grass.

I have 20 hours on the X570. The first 5 hours I could smell a small amount oil being burned, this has now gone away, I had to add oil only once - around 3 ounces. I changed the engine oil at 12 hours, even though the manual recommends 50 hours for the first oil change - I did not like the look/feel of the oil at that time.
I noticed that the tractor uses less gas now then on the first few times I used it.
For the engine break in, I allow the engine to warm up before mowing and I am not running it at full speed, just at the bottom of the green cutting speed. I also let it cool at idle, while I use a leaf blower to clear all clippings and dust.
My mowing time has dropped from 2.75 to 1.5 hours, also the cut is nicer. The overlap needed is just enough not to miss mowing grass, so I am getting close to the full deck width for a cut and I do not need to cut two times in any area.
I find the seat comfortable, the larger tires make for a smoother ride.
The axle lock is a real nice feature, this tractor is too heavy to "manhandle", this feature allows to drive it out of pretty much anything.
Even though the engine starts and runs real nice, my suggestions for JD, is to make the fuel injection standard for all of the X500 series [ cleaner burn, less gas used - be "greener" over all, small price to pay looking at Kawasaki web page]. Also to add a switch to disable the backup mowing lockout - on my property I am constantly reengaging the deck, as I have a lot of instances where I have to back up. I may just disable this on my own.
So far I am very happy with the X570, it feels real solid and I would recommend it to anyone. If the price is a bit high for you for the X500, consider the X300, in my opinion the X300 is also a very good and solid machine. After 20+ years of mowing on various riding mowers/tractors, the X300 is the minimum I would go with.

Last edited:
My dad's x590 is fuel injected. Driving them back to back I noticed zero difference between the two in power and running. 24HP vs 25.5 but it's not really any thing different. The biggest difference in his is the power steering. Pinky finger steers the tractor if you want.

One jumper wire will disable the reverse lock out! I took mine out after the first 5 minutes of operation!

I didn't really do any break in on mine. I let it fully warm up, then set it to full speed and cut grass. I've never been huge on break in procedures.

Off road toys., I let it fully warm up, take it easy for the first hour (no full rpm or heavy loads) then after that I let it eat. Never ran into an issue doing that.

My new motorcycle said keep it below 4k for the first 650 miles then no more than 6k until 1500 miles. 4k rpm in 6th gear is 40mph. I'd get killed! I didn't redline it on the the first 650. Changed oil, now it's on.

Hi Toomanytoys84, since you already did it, what is the best place to jumper disable the backup mowing disable?
At current rate I will wear out the PTO clutch and switch in a year, as I am constantly restarting the mower deck...
I do not have the schematic handy . Thank you in advance.
[ I fully understand the safety implications of this. ]

Hi Toomanytoys84, since you already did it, what is the best place to jumper disable the backup mowing disable?
At current rate I will wear out the PTO clutch and switch in a year, as I am constantly restarting the mower deck...
I do not have the schematic handy . Thank you in advance.
[ I fully understand the safety implications of this. ]

I pulled the plug off the rear switch. It's 1 plug with 2 wires. I just took a 2 male spade connectors and a 4" piece of wire and just inserted it into the plug. Been like that since day 2 I believe.

The ROI switch allows to mow while in reverse, so I do not need to do any mods :)

Last edited:
I am at 38 hours on the tractor, and still enjoying using it :) .

In preparation for shorter days and Winter, I did my first "minor upgrade", replacing the headlight bulbs with Phinlion LED bulb 1156 , 1800 Lumen each. I have a significant increase in illumination and a whiter light.

I hope the LED upgrade will work, as my experience 2 to 3 years ago with the LEDs on the Craftsman tractor failed, all of the bulbs I tried back then failed in a matter of few weeks, I do not know if the LEDs back then were junk, or the electrical system on the Craftsman caused the problem, or the heat from the B&S engine was killing the LEDs.. I had to give up on LEDs and go back to the regular bulbs.

Maybe there is another thread on blades on the JD decks.

1/ The original blade did an extremely nice cut, the only drawback is the pile of clipping piled up, so 2 cuts needed where the grass is dense.
2/ I put on Gator G6 blades, benefit: smaller clippings, so most of them fall into the grass, shortcoming: the cut is not as nice, there are occasional grass blades that are longer. I ensured the G6 blades were sharp and perfectly balanced... On the Craftsman, these were a huge upgrade comparing to the OEM blade.

My next test will be the Predator Blade from JD, hoping to get both, the perfect cut and smaller clippings.

I would appreciate hearing any experience anyone has on the best solution for smallest clipping with the best cut.

Thank you in advance.

Another season done with x570. I think the hour meyer said 165. Zero issues so far. Still does everything as well as it did with zero hours.

Still one of my favorite purchases I've ever made.

Dads x590 he bought this year has been great. He loves it. He is cutting 3 lawns around the neighborhood plus his own. He made quite a bit of cash at 50 dollars a yard. Once a week since March. I think the local lawn service is angry they charged 100

Nothing to report really.

Hit over 200 hours this season. Still no problems or issues. Did a full service (engine and transaxle), waxed and put away till next season.

I'm still very happy with my purchase. I dont think I'll ever need another tractor. I can see this purchase lasting me the rest of the time I need to cut grass. With dad buying his own that took a significant workload off it. I use it maybe 1 hour a week.

Only downfall it's completely killed my enthusiasm for doing another tractor project. Only thing that would convince me to do another tractor is a MF12 or 14.

300 hours and 2 years of warranty left.

Last edited:
The X5's are a pretty decent series, I haven't had to do any major repairs on any at work, just the yearly services and some hood replacements.

The dealer I bought it from said they see the d, e and x3's in for repairs. Rarely get x5's and x7's.

He said if it were up to him he wouldn't even offer those to people and shoot them to the x5's but most people won't spend the money for the upgrade.

He also said so many people come in and say hey I need to cut 5 acres on a hill, want to plow a 1/2 mile driveway and tow a cart around. Oh you need to x5 or even an x7 series to handle that. But they proceed to leave with a x350. 1 or 2 seasons later they are back saying everything is broken on their tractor.

Nothing to report really.

Hit over 200 hours this season. Still no problems or issues. Did a full service (engine and transaxle), waxed and put away till next season.

I'm still very happy with my purchase. I dont think I'll ever need another tractor. I can see this purchase lasting me the rest of the time I need to cut grass. With dad buying his own that took a significant workload off it. I use it maybe 1 hour a week.

Only downfall it's completely killed my enthusiasm for doing another tractor project. Only thing that would convince me to do another tractor is a MF12 or 14.

300 hours and 2 years of warranty left.
Hello TOOMANYTOYS84,
Greatly appreciate this forum. I'm a 57yo JD nut who moved to Tennessee. I have just over a half acre, but kind of hilly. My scope is zeroed in on a 570. Probably overkill, but I had a grandfather who owned a JD store in Kankakee IL in the late 60's through 1990's, so its in my blood and I just love em. Question: right now, they have 1.9% financing good thru end of October '22. Do you thing this special will continue on the 570, and/or would I be better off buying my new machine in JAN/FEB when its the off season? Thanks in advance-MIKE

Hello TOOMANYTOYS84,
Greatly appreciate this forum. I'm a 57yo JD nut who moved to Tennessee. I have just over a half acre, but kind of hilly. My scope is zeroed in on a 570. Probably overkill, but I had a grandfather who owned a JD store in Kankakee IL in the late 60's through 1990's, so its in my blood and I just love em. Question: right now, they have 1.9% financing good thru end of October '22. Do you thing this special will continue on the 570, and/or would I be better off buying my new machine in JAN/FEB when its the off season? Thanks in advance-MIKE

I bought mine on a zero percent for 6 months deal. I’m not sure how their financing programs go.

the price has went way up since I bought mine. 7699 vs the 5700 I paid for mine!

You won’t be disappointed in the tractor but with the 2 grand price increase I probably would hesitate a bit before I bought one now…..my dad paid less for his x590

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I just joined up to learn about these animals. Spent 2 hours this morning at our local JD dealer, driving a X-390 and a x-570. My 2020 Simplicity Broadmoor is about to finish off my surgically repaired shoulder, with it's silly little stub of a deck lever! The 590 would be the closest thing to my Broadmoor (and my old 2000 GT-225) I have to admit though, the Broadmoor is more robust/substantial as far as build and features. The 570 priced out at $ 8700.00!o_O "Might" be able to do a $ 6,000 check + my mower, then add the Mulch Kit, Bumper or Brush Guard buying over the counter. Can't complain about the Broadmoor, it's stout.

Attachments

• Resized_20230822_120138.jpeg
    Resized_20230822_120138.jpeg
    667.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Resized_20230822_120121.jpeg
    Resized_20230822_120121.jpeg
    620.4 KB · Views: 9
Can't complain about the Broadmoor
You just did with the "stubby deck lever" , ha-ha.

I just joined to learn of the X570 we'll be buying from our BIL.

Is there a serial number ID site? We're not certain BIL bought a 2016 or 2017. It has 277.5 hours on it.

My first impression with "JD on the internet" is that there's little to no organization to parts cataloging. Categories are not adhered to, etc.
I am glad to read all the "I love the apparent quality" posts but it's no consolation.

Where are front plows available for these? I read above the X590 has a hydraulic system for lifting the plow.
Is there an electric system for the 570 or is it manual?

Heck, I even tried looking up blades for the 570 and cannot determine the size.

What are the good websites for parts and people?

Sorry to have been away for 2 weeks. There has been a lot going on in my household....nothing bad, just a lot.
There's work to be done on our home so there's a distraction at every turn. Again, nothing bad, just a never ending list of details.

1) X570 update: I'll be going to Virginia to pick up the tractor mid November. Ha-ha, I did install a 2" ball to accommodate the U-Haul trailer.
2) Is there a site where people can look up a John Deere VIN number? The VIN is: 1MOX570AJHM130014
3) Is there an organized parts and accessories site? What I've found is very jumbled compared to automotive parts sites.

Thanks for now.

Last edited:
Back