• 89050-MF1650 parts manual.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • 1450-1650 Operators Manual.pdf
    8.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 78329-Snapper 1600-1650-1855 Service Manual part 2 of 2.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 77886-Snapper 1600-1650-1855 Service Manual part 1 of 2-1-1.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 4
Pretty obvious I've never dealt with Kohler engines before, huh? I googled "14HP Massey Ferguson 1450" and the info I got there was the K341! I figured I better ask! Thanks for the manuals Sarge and Kenny! I was going to head over to the old site and check but this saved me the work! I'll download when I get back on.

That damm old Camry won't start now so I shoved it outside with the MF8E and put it for sale for parts or repair. I'm not going to do the parting though. Someone else can.

I'll put away tools, sweep and then bring in the 1450.

DAC

Pretty obvious I've never dealt with Kohler engines before, huh? I googled "14HP Massey Ferguson 1450" and the info I got there was the K341! I figured I better ask! Thanks for the manuals Sarge and Kenny! I was going to head over to the old site and check but this saved me the work! I'll download when I get back on.

That damm old Camry won't start now so I shoved it outside with the MF8E and put it for sale for parts or repair. I'm not going to do the parting though. Someone else can.

I'll put away tools, sweep and then bring in the 1450.

DAC
According to Tractor Data, that should be a 14 HP.

Doug, you'll love that Kohler k-321 14hp. I think it's the best of the K series engines. Also you said that it was hard to turn over, you may need to take the hydro shaft and pto loose to see if one of them is causing the hard turning over.

Yep, 14 hp. K321.

Noel
Thanks, Noel! I hadn't had a chance to go there yet. I got info for those LTs there!

Doug, you'll love that Kohler k-321 14hp. I think it's the best of the K series engines. Also you said that it was hard to turn over, you may need to take the hydro shaft and pto loose to see if one of them is causing the hard turning over.
Hard to turn over but having good compression makes me think maybe the ACR isn't working.

I worded that all wrong! I meant it was hard to reach to turn over! That front pulley is on a clutch so I couldn't grab it there. Just spins free. Once I got it in the shop this afternoon, it dawned on me to turn the lower drive shaft. Felt good then. Remember, I have never worked on a hydro before!

NOW on a really good note, I set a battery in it, found a couple of battery cables and pushed the starter button. It cranked! Didn't have to jump the solenoid! Then I rounded up a coil wire (good thing I save old junk. Cranked it again, no spark. Looked closer at the coil, and no wires were hooked to the positive side. Clipped a jumper from there to the battery and there was spark! SO then I squirted some ether in the hole where the carb should be and it fired! Sprayed ether in it a couple seconds and it revved up. Figured I better quit right there!

There is someone coming out to look at that Camry pretty soon so I may have to sign off all of a sudden.

DAC

DSCN2960.JPG

The kid that showed up to look at the Camry made an offer and I took it. $300. Seemed like a good kid. From small town Wyoming, going to school here. Paid for but he will have to drag it out of here later. Now that deal is done, I can re-focus on fun stuff!

Just ordered a carb. Going to try to mount the fuel tank from the MF12G on it, but then it looks like no room for a battery. Going to need an air cleaner setup too. Kind of looking like electrical is going to be a bigger problem than getting the engine running.

I don't see a dipstick on the transaxle but there is a pipe plug facing up in a hard to get at spot at the right rear. I better get to reading the mauals you guys supplied!

DAC

Hi DAC, that will make a nice project and a good tractor when your done with it, the Kohler K321 14 is one of the best engines around, that engine looks to be a K321SQ s= electric start and Q= quite and to tell the truth I've never noticed much difference thus the air tube coming from the cooling shroud to the airfilter, finding the Q airfilter assy is harder than just the palin one and generally more money, you could if block off the air shroud hole and use a pain airfilter housing I'll be paying closer attention and following your progress

Hi DAC, that will make a nice project and a good tractor when your done with it, the Kohler K321 14 is one of the best engines around, that engine looks to be a K321SQ s= electric start and Q= quite and to tell the truth I've never noticed much difference thus the air tube coming from the cooling shroud to the airfilter, finding the Q airfilter assy is harder than just the palin one and generally more money, you could if block off the air shroud hole and use a pain airfilter housing I'll be paying closer attention and following your progress

That's some great info, Gary! I was wondering about how that big hole in the blower housing works! One of Kenny's manuals shows a pic of it. Definitely a different shape than I've ever seen on a GT. I know in reading on the site, it seems like everyone really likes the Kohler K-series engines but it's all new to me. Glad you will follow along, as I will need all the help I can get! The advice from all you guys here on the site is priceless!

I just happen to have one of those air filters!
LOL! I just happen to need one too, Kenny! It would be really cool if that uses these 2"x6" air filters too! Both my other MF's use this size! Let me know how much you want, shipped to 57703 in a PM if you would!

DSCN2971.JPG

I took the muffler and cover off as when it fired a moment last night the muffler popped half-way out of it's box. A mounting bolt was gone but I think the muffler can be saved. The cast iron manifold coming out of the head is badly broken though, and the piece is long gone. Gonna have to replace or repair somehow.

DSCN2968.JPG DSCN2969.JPG DSCN2970.JPG

The manual had a picture of the transaxle dipstick tube that is supposed to be there like Daniel said but it ain't there on this tractor. Don't know what's up with that. Would it have screwed into the hole where this plumbing plug is? Can't see that area in the manual.

DSCN2966.JPG DSCN2967.JPG

I went ahead and ordered a new fuel pump and a diaphragm kit to rebuild the old one as well. The old one doesn't pump and there's strings hanging out of the diaphragm.

DSCN2972.JPG

Need to start planning how in the heck to mount a MF12G fuel tank on a 1450! Would it be blasphemy to do some cutting and welding on this old tractor?

Printed a few pages out of the operators manual tonight too, including the electrical diagram. Since it has bo key switch I imagine that's another thing to buy!

DAC

I'm getting more and more mysteries to me anyway about how this thing works! Hope some of you may be able to clear a couple of them up!

I took the 1/2" pipe plug out of the transaxle that I pictured last night. Can't see fluid so I stuck an old engine oil dipstick in the hole. Definitely a red fluid that looks like nice, clean ATF. Without the factory dipstick, I got no clue how much should be in the case.
This will be a little hard to explain clearly. The top of the black area on the stick is the level of the fill plug. The top of the bare metal area is the current fluid level, touching the bottom of the case. Maybe it should be filled clear to the fill hole? Maybe it's a good level right there? Manual just refers to checking the fluid with the factory dipstick.
DSCN2975.JPG

Is the hitch what you guys are calling a cat 0? 14 HP I assume so. Something doesn't look right to me about that top link. Shouldn't it swivel freely? Maybe should be adjustable like bigger top links I've seen?
DSCN2977.JPG

Still more dumb questions---LOL!
Shouldn't this rear pto drive shaft pull out of the pulley when not in use? Seems stuck in there, but I didn't want to force anything. If the lever was hit by accident that thing slinging around could tear up a lot of stuff in a short time.
DSCN2978.JPG

One more for now. Looks like the left front spindle might be bent? The camera lens is making it look even worse than by eye.
DSCN2979.JPG

I'm probably going to get pretty annoying being such a greenhorn on these tractors, sorry.

DAC

Back