Need a Garden Tractor

Im going to check that as well. At this point im pretty sure the guy that had it didnt know much. Like he could do an oil change and spark plugs. But he never had this carburetor off, no way. He said he'd only had the tractor two years, but there was more than two years worth of dirty inside the carburetor.

I could also tell by the spray paint that the carb hadnt been off in a long time either.

Whats the best way to rotate the engine to check the points? Pipe wrench on the front shaft?

Id order the right coil for it instead of using the harley coil but you do you.

I think that will fix your problem. Your spark is there but has to be so weak that it wont properly sustain combustion. Then it gets weaker as the coil gets hotter.

Does the coil feel really light? When I took my old coil off ot felt like nothing. The new coil weighed at least 3 times as much. It was definitely a noticeable difference in weight.

I found this pic from the day i picked it up, this was when it started giving me issues and you can clearly see the coil is like it is now w the gap at the top.

I dunno if its supposed to be like that or not. But im replacing it anyway
20190706_140100.jpg

Id order the right coil for it instead of using the harley coil but you do you.

I think that will fix your problem. Your spark is there but has to be so weak that it wont properly sustain combustion. Then it gets weaker as the coil gets hotter.

Does the coil feel really light? When I took my old coil off ot felt like nothing. The new coil weighed at least 3 times as much. It was definitely a noticeable difference in weight.

This one feels heavy given its size. But it sure was hot fast, and when i noticed it about 5-10 mins had gone by since i quit cranking. But if it were any hotter i woulda needed gloves to handle it.

I ordered it, for 33 bucks and new plug wires it's definitely worth a shot. My only concern is with one of the two reviews in it which said it didn't fire both cylinders. But that's easily tested...

I ordered it, for 33 bucks and new plug wires it's definitely worth a shot. My only concern is with one of the two reviews in it which said it didn't fire both cylinders. But that's easily tested...

I seen that before. Mine worked flawlessly. Amazon has a super easy return policy.

Ive had good luck with amazon parts for my snow blower, weed eater, and old rider i used to have. Its all made in china anyway and has a 60 day return policy.

When i go to the local hardware store or rural king or TS, its like 30 bucks for an air filter. Or i can go on Amazon and get 2 air filters with 2 foam pre filters and 2 new spark plugs and 2 fuel filters for 20 right Here. When something costs more, is it because its better,or because someone marked it up.

I could buy 20 of these 33 dollar coil/wire kits and resell them at 100 on Ebay, and people would buy them and never know.

Last edited:
Im not against the harley coil. In fact ive never had a harley coil fail on me, and ive put down more harley miles than most. But ive now had a failed Kohler coil....

Im not the expert. But I think they are all the same as far as coils, harleys switched out from points but retained the coil. Not saying you want a 2016 coil, but it should be applicable from 60s to late 90s. So long as its a 5 ohm coil...

Yep, funny you ask, I just saw this posted, Halo's or angel eyes.... They look like 4" rounds?

My "Husqie" RestoMod. - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Ya if you go to Amazon or Ebay and type in 4"round foglights, or 4" Round LED theres a decent selection.

I kinda liked the halos that were yellow, might wire em to use em as flashers if needed. The state is broke and doesnt mow along the main highways as much. Its hard to see pulling out if in a car and ive mowed it many times on the pos rider i used to have. Would feel a lil safer with some more visibility. And they seem like they would be more than sufficient for mowing after Dark, or pulling a lil hay ride trailer. I was happy to see a hole already exists for mounting a rear fender light.

Edit: i think my only concern is, would the heat from the muffler cook them??
------
Well the new coil should be here friday, new breather cover monday...

im guessing im ok to run this thing with that umbrella valve missing from the cover?

Also, I didn't pay attention when I unhooked the coil. Does the positive pole of the coil attach to the wire that goes to the point/condenser?

The other wire goes to some block, under the intake manifold, is that some sort of voltage regulator?

Last edited:
Without the breather check valve, you will likely smoke from oil getting pushed into the air filter housing. But if the umbrella wasn't functioning, it may not smoke any more than it was already.

Back