Need a Garden Tractor

Edit: i think my only concern is, would the heat from the muffler cook them??

A cheap, easy way to give you peace of mind on this is to create a radiant barrier. I was thinking, rolled aluminum from your local box store for roof flashing?

(simple explanation for others, if you sit in front of a camp fire, your front is warm, your back is cool. If you place an object or person between you and the fire, you will have a radiant barrier, and they steel your heat :))

Set in place between the muffler and the back of the lights (without touching either). This piece could even be painted with a rubber under coating on the cold side (insulation, poor conductor of heat).

You could bend the edges in a vice, drill some holes, use rivets or bolts to attach it to the hood or inner brackets. If you wanted a clean outer look, use JBWeld after putting sufficient scuffs in the bracket edges and inside hood.

Just a thought, I see many ways to get it done, and I too, would be concerned about the heat on LED's also, your muffler looks to be close to the front of the hood, but the lights would really stand out with a personal touch.

Cheers,

I was kind of thinking along those lines last night, hadn't thought of the rubberized on one side though. I'll probably end up doing something like that

Well the new coil is installed and she fired right up. Died a few times, when put under load would spitter a little, but she moved around under her own power.

One odd thing i didn notice after it died once was it sounded like something was boiling inside the intake.

Seafoam question, ive used it with great success in carbs, but never tried it with the oil. Would it be a good idea to add some to the oil or no?

I would use Marvel Mystery oil in the oil. Rislone is another good product for cleaning sludge and carbon out of an engine. After the first use I would change the oil in a couple hours.
PS
A lot of people swear by Seafoam but I've never used it in the oil. Have had excellent results with the other two.

Marvel Mystery oil in the oil and Sea Foam in the gas is all I ever do. I also dribble Sea Foam down the Carb-intake at high idle not to choke the engine out and it will clean the carbon out of the intake runners, valves, pistons and heads. It will really smoke white smoke like you set a pile of leaves on fire.

Marvel Mystery oil in the oil and Sea Foam in the gas is all I ever do. I also dribble Sea Foam down the Carb-intake at high idle not to choke the engine out and it will clean the carbon out of the intake runners, valves, pistons and heads. It will really smoke white smoke like you set a pile of leaves on fire.
Dribblr it into the carb while at high idle. Increase the flow until enging dies. Shut iff ignition. Allow to sit several hours to overnight. Srart her up and run it at full speed under load. Ie: mow the lawn. You will not believe how much crud will blow out of it.lol

Well i jacked her up to get to the mower deck. Figured that would be easier been dropping the deck. I've got just two holes. The metal around em is not bad. So long as things don't progress shouldn't be too difficult of repair this winter.

Patched the holes with some sheet metal and self tappers. Should be good enough to get me through this year. I'll keep an eye on it and it's going to be in the garage anyway. I took a paintbrush and wiped the metal around it down with used motor oil, aka the original rust preventer. Then screwed the patches on.

Also installed new air filter and adjusted the carb today. Tomorrow will be the test, its time to mow the lawn.
20190719_103703.jpg20190719_110544.jpg
20190719_110554.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds great. I’m sure you got it. I’ll be looking for the update tomorrow evening.

Noel

I would have mowed tonight if i had headlights...

i ask before but its back 200 posts or so lol, but does anyone know the best way to wire headlights into this ole girl. The original headlight harness is gone.

Any ideal wires in the harness or places to tie into for power?

And whats the power output of these things?

New breather cover came in today and i got it installed. Then the 917 Mowed it all without much of a hiccup. Only issue is when going up or down hill oil smoke would roll out. Upon inspection it appears its blowing oil from the breather because i didnt put gaskets in there. But in my defense there werent any on the old one, that i recall. #ImLearning lol

Last edited:
Back