Need a Garden Tractor

So I'm laying here in bed and was thinking I'm missing something, something simple is wrong and I just haven't noticed.

Honestly after doing the carb spray test and it not firing it really kind of started to bother me. I know I have spark Fuel and Air. There's no way I lost compression from the last time it ran.

Sitting here starting to think about timing and point gaps etc...

I Hadn't had many opportunities until tonight to just sit and stare at it, well 1:08am I got out of bed, and went and sat and stared at the tractor some more , cuz now it's keeping me up. Annnnnd....

I feel kinda dumb now, but im missing my governor spring. I'm willing to bet that has something to do with it not wanting to start :oops:.

20190714_010453.jpg

Does anyone have a spec number for these? The last time I went up to the local part place they asked me for a spec number in order to look up the parts for the carburetor.

If i go up there looking for this spring they're prob going to ask for it again. Unless the guy was just being a dick (he kinda was). I took the entire carb with me and he told me he couldnt find the gasket without the spec number. Yet he did figure it out, but they were out of stock.

I looked on the tractor and engine but I'm going to guess it probably got removed or likely spray-painted over

Last edited:
I dont think its so forgone i cant fix it, i once resurrected a K5 blazer from rust, and I think I still have some sheet metal laying around

‐-------------

Yeah but don't you mean while its under power? It looks to me like I would drop the pins from the front then use the lift to lower the deck down and then take the cable off.

------------

Any suggestion on spark plug wires? I can tell that the spark plug wires have spray paint on them, which tells me they probably havent been changed in a very long time, if ever.
View attachment 15352

To tell the truth part of me wants to just put a new coil, points, condenser spark plug wires , spark plugs, and carb on this thing.

Found another hole, looks to me like a battery bled out at some point. Meh, no biggy, ill get to that too.
View attachment 15354
View attachment 15353
View attachment 15356

Waiting for the carb spray to be dropped off some time today....
Better get rid of those wire nuts while you are in there. Trouble looking for a place to happen. They are only for use in buildings. NEVER on a moving vehicle.

Found the spring with my magnet. Got her running, but this doesnt make me feel good at all. Blowing oil and smoke from the crank case vent?

It didnt do that before that i was able to notice, i did add half a quart to it, but the the stick indicated it was a bit low. Maybe too much oil?

I didnt run it w the air filter off before this :-/
Running Again

I can't remember, but if it has a screw in dipstick, you check WITHOUT screwing it down. Just touch threads to threads.

Ok so i changed the oil and put 2 quarts kohler sae30 in.

Came home, fired it up...blow by from crank case tube looked alot better, then it died.

It seems like it keeps doing the same thing now. If I let it sit for a while I could fire it up and it will run for 45 seconds and then it dies and usually wont restart.

And how whipped is this engine? Its blowing oil out that tube just from cranking it over.

Nope.....and its not like i didnt fire it up and drive it around....but i didnt look at the intake after i ran it until i got home....and it wasnt smoking when i ran it, that can be seen in the video clips...

Last edited:
Taking the breather cover off and found a mess under there. I don't even know what it is, looks like some kind of mesh Fabric and a little O ring o-ring or something Breather vid
20190714_121359.jpg20190714_121613.jpg

Here's a better pic of the mesh and ring, its metal.
20190714_123506.jpg20190714_123511.jpg

I took the out cover off further to do some inspection and just barely wiped the bottom with a rag and this little bottom dry rotted piece of rubber that holds in this umbrella valve came off. Anyone know the name/source of this so I can get one ordered. (Edit: I think I found info that the umbrella valve is no longer available, I guess there's an upgraded breather assembly with a reed valve?)
20190714_124550.jpg
20190714_124609.jpg
20190714_125730.jpg

Put 2 quarts back in it, if it's a half too much then this makes some sense
Breather, valves video

Last edited:
The new breather cover for these with part number is Kohler 52-035-02-S and it is the reed style, umbrella style no longer made.
s-l300.jpg

And your right LD, i looked over the manual before the oil change but nowhere in the oil change instructions does it give you the capacity. So I just referred to Google and got incorrect info, its 1.5 for me, but i believe its 2 quarts if equipped w an oil filter, so thats on me again. Down at the very last page of the manual, shows the capacity, 1.5
Screenshot_20190714-133617_Drive.jpg

Well drained some oil out, now I'm going to have to wait for the entire new breather part.

Back to the problem of it starting, running, dying.

Well I'd say you have a fuel problem. Plugged line, plugged gas cap vent, fuel pump. Hook up a temporary gas tank directly to the carb and high enough for gravity feed right to the carb. See if that changes any thing.

Noel

Im still unable to get it to fire with bursts of carb spray again.

I put that breather cover back on. I doubt the engine will implode without that valve for a week.

I noticed while cranking at the coil was getting hot, and I wasn't doing much cranking. But I put my hand in the coil and it was hot enough that I decided to immediately unhook the battery. When i first Pulled the coil off and I ohm it out from negative to positive it was all over the place 7.0 - 35.0. Now that its cooled off it has settled in the 7-8 and is still slowly dropping.

I have to admit, I'm kind of an in the dark here when it comes to testing out ignition coils.
20190714_170602.jpg
20190714_171024.jpg

Last edited:
Me either but I get wacky readings from positive to negative and I can get no readings from positive to high output.

I think I'm going to put a Harley coil on it, I want to change out the spark plugs wires as well. Im guessing harley plug wires would probably work too??

Oh and the oil blow by has been resolved now that it has the right amount of oil... doh :thumbs:

66841586_2056219068007587_4815610726339051520_o.jpg

Well no driving her around any time soon.

Pulled the dash and steering wheel to get at the wiring and inspect some more. Definitely will be pulling all this off to clean up and paint once the season is over.

Eliminated the wire nut and relocated the battery cables to their proper locations. Also cleaned the cables up with mineral spirits, they were covered in black rattle can, smh. I also shop vac'd any debris out.

20190714_204805.jpg20190714_204818.jpg

Cleaned the dash up a bit too. Removed what remnants were left of the original decal piece. Wipe it down w some acetone to get the sticky goo off.
20190714_213343.jpg

Last edited:
Back