New to me Woodburner

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I've been working on this for the last few days. It's a homemade stove but proven to run you out of a 30'X30' area. Big improvement for my little area! I can use larger logs and not feed it so often. Here's some pics. First the wimpy old stove. I have a 6"X24" piece of pipe next to it so you can see the difference.
DSCN4744.JPG

Now for the 'mother-of-all' stoves. Same piece of pipe next to it.
DSCN4745.JPG

Be careful putting those kind of wood burner in your buildings you have insured. Most insurance companies will either make you take it completely out or they cancel coverage on the building AND contents. Company I used to adjust for would not allow ANY kind of wood stove in any structure unless it was UL approved and installed by a certified installer. Don't rely on what they don't know won't hurt them either. IF - there should be a fire, regardless of the origan, they WILL know about that wood burner.

I cut all the pieces today to make a grate for it using 3/4" sucker rod! That'll take some time to clean parts for welding!

That thing looks like it would be good up here in western So. Dak. much less Oklahoma! I have used a lot of weird steel to cobble something together, but you have me on "sucker rod"! Is it that the first "sucker" that asks what it is gives everyone else a big laugh?

DAC

I've been working on this for the last few days. It's a homemade stove but proven to run you out of a 30'X30' area. Big improvement for my little area! I can use larger logs and not feed it so often. Here's some pics. First the wimpy old stove. I have a 6"X24" piece of pipe next to it so you can see the difference.
View attachment 16755

Now for the 'mother-of-all' stoves. Same piece of pipe next to it.
View attachment 16756

Did you use a set of plans to build the stove. Thats a monster of a stove.
New name brand stoves are very efficient compared to "wood box" stoves I see the usual suspects pedalling.
I had a larger homemade stove that was a beast. It roared! and burned 3x as much wood as my current Pacific Energy stove which is the smallest stove they build and no problem keeping garage toasty warm. Also the unit only has to be 12" from the wall so not a lot of space required. Has all proper chimney, WETT certified and the blessing of insurance company

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 7
That thing looks like it would be good up here in western So. Dak. much less Oklahoma! I have used a lot of weird steel to cobble something together, but you have me on "sucker rod"! Is it that the first "sucker" that asks what it is gives everyone else a big laugh?

DAC
That's an oil field term. It's usually the rod used for well pumps. Very hard stuff.

Did you use a set of plans to build the stove. Thats a monster of a stove.
New name brand stoves are very efficient compared to "wood box" stoves I see the usual suspects pedalling.
I had a larger homemade stove that was a beast. It roared! and burned 3x as much wood as my current Pacific Energy stove which is the smallest stove they build and no problem keeping garage toasty warm. Also the unit only has to be 12" from the wall so not a lot of space required. Has all proper chimney, WETT certified and the blessing of insurance company
I didn't build it. My buddy Aaron did about 10 years ago. It will serve my purpose well. I've had wood burners of some sort for most of my life.

Hey Kenny, in the pic, is the loading door on the left side, with the draft on the front?
Yep! Got a grate made up this morning! Aaron says it'll make it burn wood faster. Wonder why every fireplace has a grate in it?

Looks to me like you have it to tall. Got to have the ashes and coals to make it burn hotter, which in turn makes the heat. I made that mistake when I built a grate for the fireplace. Clean the ashes out and took a week of evening fires to get it back to heating right again.

Last edited:
Looks to me like you have it to tall. Got to have the ashes and coals to make it burn hotter, which in turn makes the heat. I made that mistake when I built a grate for the fireplace. Clean the ashes out and took a week of evening fires to get it back to heating right again.
That may be. I can always shorten the legs.

Not much happening due to rain in the forecast. I have to redo the siding on that North side. Got 4 strips to take off to replace 2 that had old exit holes for the removed woodburners. Then I can finish up the siding where the new exit will be. This is all James Hardie siding, so no issues with heat from it.

Back