New to me Woodburner

How's this new heat stove working for you Kenny? Bet it's doing great! You feeling better today? You mentioned feeling puny yesterday.
A lot better today! The stove is working great. Still learning how to get the most from it. I got a PU load of well seasoned wood given to me today. Been in a barn since 2007! Mostly Pecan!

A lot better today! The stove is working great. Still learning how to get the most from it. I got a PU load of well seasoned wood given to me today. Been in a barn since 2007! Mostly Pecan!

Pecan wood, you need to start smoking some meat with. I use Pecan and apple and man it does a great flavor to the meat.

Glad you're feeling better today. I was sick for 4 days starting last Friday and ran a fever for 3 of those.

Pecan wood, you need to start smoking some meat with. I use Pecan and apple and man it does a great flavor to the meat.

Glad you're feeling better today. I was sick for 4 days starting last Friday and ran a fever for 3 of those.
It makes good heat also. I have a bunch here for our little smoker. I'm a bit stiff and sore this morning, but it was a good workout. Used the 316 & fork lift to unload and get it put away. That made it much easier, less walking back and forth with an arm load.

My multi fuel stove in the basement kept the house up to 62 todayeven with the North wind and upper 20's outside. Didn't take long for the fireplace to get it up to 72 in here so backing off on feeding it more wood for a while.

I found an ad for 2 rick of Ash firewood on CL. Went and got it yesterday. Today I spent unloading the trailer and stacking it all. Sorry for the large pics, but have no option to resize them with Linux.
DSCN5030.JPG DSCN5031.JPG

First load with the 316 fork lift. This rack is 5' wide.
DSCN5032.JPG

Here's the second load.
DSCN5033.JPG DSCN5034.JPG

Three loads filled this 5'X5' rack.
DSCN5035.JPG

All done!
DSCN5036.JPG

Including going after the wood, I spent about 7 hr's. total after stacking. Not bad for someone in their 70's. Got wood for the winter now.

I hurt just looking at the pics. I am looking 80 down the barrel. 5 years ago I was still cutting my own firewood but the energy to do that much just isn't there any more.
Ash is a hard wood. A rick actually refers to the way something is stack, usually in a rectangular way, such as a 4X4X8 cord of wood, or a stack of hay.

So that would be a Face Cord. Thats what some people call it , that stack of wood you have there Kenny. In our area.

Noel
Probably so. Different names in different areas. If a cord is 4ft. X 4ft. X 8ft., this would have been 40 inches wide X 53 inches tall X 8ft. long. I found a cord calculator here and entered my dimensions. Came out to 0.92 cord!

No matter what a portion of a cord is called, a cord is kinda like the old saw about pints and pounds: "a pint's a pound the world around". Who remembers the hand pumps in service stations that dispensed 80w90 gear oil by the pound?
Mike
I remember those!

Don’t remember by the pound. Think they charged by the pump or how many turns of the pump. Depending on type of pump.
I didn’t collect the money at that time, I was just the pumper, so I’m not sure how they charged. Could have been by the pound.

Noel

Any way you call it Kenny still has some work to do before he burns that wood.
Just not all at one time! The 316 and forks make it easy to bring in a batch of wood in one load! The 5' rack I loaded first has a twin inside!

Back