"New" trailer!

Here is an idea I used when mounting the winch and it has worked out pretty good over the years. The winch was mounted onto a piece of tube that would slide into a regular hitch receiver. The receiver was welded to the front of the bed. Then another piece like a receiver was welded to the tongue out of the way so the winch can be stored there. Pull one pin and you can move the winch from one receiver to the other.
I did the receiver on my trailer for the winch. Can you do that on the trailer bed?
DSCN5206.JPG

I bolted my winch directly to the front of the trailer to the cross member. Use my booster pack for power. Been there about 3 years now and no issues YET.

Can you do that on the trailer bed?
I'll get a photo when I'm outside. Mine is not going to look as nice as yours as it's been on the road for years. If I recall correctly the receiver is mounted vertically in front of the trailer crossmember. A plate was welded onto the end of the tube that drops into the receiver. The winch is bolted to that plate.

I guess I used a piece of channel iron to mount the winch on. You can see two more sockets for storage.
Just pull the pin at the bottom and remove the winch.

Attachments

• 20201221_112525[1].jpg
    20201221_112525[1].jpg
    337 KB · Views: 8
Very seldom I use it for anything larger than a garden tractor. I use it more for restraining loads.

Since you'll have a battery aboard get the HF electric tongue jack. It works great on my camper. Personally I like the swing up jacks on my flatbeds instead of having to do all that cranking up and down.
Probably not going to have a battery mounted after all if I go with the removable winch. I'm also too cheap to spring for a new jack right now too---LOL! Rick had a great idea how to adapt a cordless drill to a jack like this one in a post a while back but right now I think the hand crank is best route for me. I'm pretty sure I would forget the drill the one time I need to unhook the trailer away from home---LOL!

I guess I used a piece of channel iron to mount the winch on. You can see two more sockets for storage.
Just pull the pin at the bottom and remove the winch.
Yeah a nice, simple setup Chris! I've got one of those "Armstrong" winches (to quote Ol' Stonebreaker---LOL!) laying around here I've never used. It may come to that if I break this electric winch! Tongue space is a little limited with that tilt bed jack mounted in there. Don't want to interfere with that.

I did the receiver on my trailer for the winch. Can you do that on the trailer bed?
View attachment 32548
I'm working on a similar theory after all the great ideas from everyone, Kenny! I can't mount like that one as that's right where the jack for the bed tilt is at, but up on the trailer bed like you are asking looks possible! I'll get to what I'm thinking next.

Thank you all for the helpful comments!

I have this receiver extension I got out of the scrap pile at work probably 10 years ago! Now may be a good time to cut a chunk off of it!
Should be able to weld a piece of it to that round tube across the front. Probably beef it up with some plate in front down to the bed frame. Then since I don't have any 2" tube around here for the male piece, it may be cheaper for me to just buy a 30 dollar pre-made removable mount.
DSCN2876.JPG

Also got the jack removed and cut a piece of plate off the bottom so it will be ready to install the foot that's coming. Also straightened out the mounting flange. Think I better get out the porta power too and straighten the trailer jack mount too. Uncle Jim said he loaned the trailer out and it came back with the jack bent up. The trailer plate has about 1/8" bend but that throws the jack out of plumb by an inch or more. Working on a handle swivel too. Little more progress.
DSCN2877.JPG

DAC

I don’t loan any thing out. If someone needs the trailer, which rarely happens, I go with them and use my truck and do the driving.
As far as wives are concerned, the trouble with them is they loan them selfs out and you have very little control over that.

Keep things simple on the trailer Doug. It will work much better for you in the long run.

Noel

Four things you never loan out, your boat, Chainsaw, trailer, and your wife. Not necessarily in that order.

Add truck to that list.

I’ve stopped loaning things to all but four of my closest friends. Anyone else, I tell them to bring what they want fixed to me and I take care of it. I’d rather take the time to do the work myself then deal with the aftermath later.

Most of my stuff with engines is older and requires a little tinkering at times. I don’t loan those out because it’s just a matter of time before something let’s go and I don’t want my friends feeling responsible for it.

The last time I loaned my trailer, it came back with the recessed lights knocked out and the mounts for the ramps bent. Now I just tell people my trailer is too big for a half ton pickup and I help them haul whatever they want with my truck pulling the trailer.

You don’t want to know or see what happened the last time I let someone borrow my truck. I know it was a painful phone call for them to make. We both had to work hard to keep our friendship. At the end of the day, you don’t throw away 30 years over sheet metal and paint.

For some reason fenders, tongues and lights take a real beating on trailers. People who barrow trailers don't own one and have very little knowledge on how to use one. Once it's hooked up they think it's going to go wherever they want it to so what's to worry about.
I've gotten to where I am very careful about who uses my stuff. If you think a trailer is bad what until you own a small excavator. Everybody and their mother thinks it would be fun to barrow one of those. Sure you can use my excavator but the operator comes with it. When they find out they can't operate it they are not nearly as interested. :)

A good friend and I were going to go South for a fishing trip. Would use his truck with a locking topper and pull my boat. He was used to pulling a 16' single axle boat & trailer. Mine was a 20 foot tandem axle low profile which made it about 16" wider. Long story short, one right side tire went flat from running on the shoulder and had to replace the one tail light and over 80 lights on the back from dropping off a culvert pulling onto the highway. He never hooked up to my trailer again.

For some reason fenders, tongues and lights take a real beating on trailers. People who barrow trailers don't own one and have very little knowledge on how to use one. Once it's hooked up they think it's going to go wherever they want it to so what's to worry about.
I've gotten to where I am very careful about who uses my stuff. If you think a trailer is bad what until you own a small excavator. Everybody and their mother thinks it would be fun to barrow one of those. Sure you can use my excavator but the operator comes with it. When they find out they can't operate it they are not nearly as interested. :)
If they want to operate (run) it that is what rental places are for.

I have always been the borrower or pulling a friends trailer with my truck when the friend is along. Fortunately most everyone I know has a trailer already so there should be no problems. I am worried about theft. Maybe one of these days I may switch the coupler. It's got one of those knob types, I am also thinking that just unscrew the catch and take the knob off when it's sitting outside. If some one takes off with it odds are they will tear up the tow vehicle or decide against it. Trailers are popular targets around here but not necessarily old pile of crap ones---LOL!

I got the handle swivel for the jack built after work today. Welded a pipe nipple inside a piece of tubing the right size to stuff a rubber handgrip over and made the length about 1-1/2" longer so a hand can actually hang on to it. Pressed a piece of conduit into the pipe nipple to act as a "bushing" Too.

DAC

DSCN2879.JPG DSCN2881.JPG

My coupler is of the slide collar type. Only way to lock it is with one of the full hitch enclosures that includes the ball and covers the whole end of the hitch. Pricey but work.

The remote for the winch and the jack foot showed up today. Had a little time after work to scuff up the jack and the mount area on the tongue. Worked on that remote setup while the paint dried. Had no luck with the new remote at all. Probably better get new relays too I suppose! Mounted the jack again after that.

DAC

DSCN2883.JPG DSCN2884.JPG

Hehe. Sooner you get to bed and get to sleep the sooner you get to open it. Hehe.

Roger Miller Xmas song. One of my favourites. Old Toy Trains.

Noel

Back