New work bench for the shipping container

cjet69

Tractorologist
My brother has had this work bench sitting around for years. His plan was to use it as a reloading bench. He came up with something else, so I asked him what he was going to do with it. He said take it. Pulled a plywood shelf unit out that was heaped with cr@p. Put the work bench in its place and cut a couple pieces of press board for the top and upper shelf. This will be a good spot to work on small engines, chainsaw, and whatever else we can think of. I bought a diesel heater to put in the container to take the chill off. I think I can easily block off half of the container to make it easier to heat. The chainsaws were just lined up on the floor before and now they have a home on or under the work bench.

Attachments

• GOPR4339-m.jpg
    GOPR4339-m.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 8
  • GOPR4340-m.jpg
    GOPR4340-m.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 8
  • GOPR4341-m.jpg
    GOPR4341-m.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 7
  • GOPR4342-m.jpg
    GOPR4342-m.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 7
  • GOPR4343-m.jpg
    GOPR4343-m.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 7
  • GOPR4344-m.jpg
    GOPR4344-m.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 8
  • GOPR4345-m.jpg
    GOPR4345-m.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 8
  • GOPR4346-m.jpg
    GOPR4346-m.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 8
  • GOPR4347-m.jpg
    GOPR4347-m.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 10
A helpful brother too, besides cousins! You're livin' the good life, CJet! Those are very handy benches. We had one in one of the work stations at my former job. While working that area I often though I should have one!

DAC

First job for the work bench. Installing the grille screen and mounting hardware on the John Deere 40 Hood and grille that I painted for my cousin. I should finish this up tomorrow and then I can deliver it. This is the only flat spot I have right now.

Attachments

• GOPR4354-m.jpg
    GOPR4354-m.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 5
  • GOPR4355-m.jpg
    GOPR4355-m.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 5
  • GOPR4356-m.jpg
    GOPR4356-m.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 5
First job for the work bench. Installing the grille screen and mounting hardware on the John Deere 40 Hood and grille that I painted for my cousin. I should finish this up tomorrow and then I can deliver it. This is the only flat spot I have right now.
Now no flat spots---LOL! You make efficient use of everything you can CJet!

DAC

Getting the diesel heater set up. Found an old engine cross member from a GT/LT of some kind to mount it to. Added legs to make a stand for a test fire. I think I may turn them over after the test and hang the heater from the ceiling, but plans may change. Installed the fuel tank outlet after revisiting Gary's (MNGB) Kubota heater thread where he used a welding rod to slide the fitting down into the tank. Worked great. Need to mount the fuel pump, hook up the wires, and put some fuel in the tank for a test.

Attachments

• 100_5769-m.jpg
    100_5769-m.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_5770-m.jpg
    100_5770-m.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_5772-m.jpg
    100_5772-m.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_5773-m.jpg
    100_5773-m.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_5774-m.jpg
    100_5774-m.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_5775-m.jpg
    100_5775-m.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_5777-m.jpg
    100_5777-m.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 7
Somehow managed to get the heater primed and fired up. Boy that manual is a tough read. About all it was good for was to get me to recall some of the YouTube videos that I have watched on firing these things up. Let it run for 15 min. or so and it picked the temp up in the 40-foot container 2 or 3 degrees with the roll up door ajar for the exhaust. Now to decide on the permanent mounting location.

Attachments

• 100_5778-m.jpg
    100_5778-m.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_5779-m.jpg
    100_5779-m.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_5780-m.jpg
    100_5780-m.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 2
Let it run for about an hour and checked the temp. Outside was 47°F and the inside was 56°F. Like the above post says the roll up door was open about 8"-10", no insulation, and a 40' long x 8' wide x 9' high aluminum shipping container. I think if I partition it off at 20' it should heat pretty easy. May have to look into insulating also.

Attachments

• 100_5784-m.jpg
    100_5784-m.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_5785-m.jpg
    100_5785-m.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 1
If you think of the walls on that connex as a heat sink then you'll start to get an idea what that little heater is up against. If I figured right you have 864 sq. ft. of wall space. Aluminum transfers heat far more efficiently than steal.
I'm guessing the heat exchanger in that heater might equal 1.5 square feet of area.
Your right some insulation might be in order when it's 20 degs. outside.
I do think your Container is going to make you a nice shop when your done with it and I'm following your progress with much interest. Keep up the good work. :thumbs:

Your right some insulation might be in order when it's 20 degs. outside.
At least the roll up door that we installed is already insulated. With all the stuff already hung/ fastened on the walls I'm not sure how to go about insulating it. I suppose If I put it on the outside, I will need to cover it so I'm not sure about that. I can do the ceiling inside pretty easily. It has a lean-to on one side so that would protect that side some. Things to think about anyway and it will take some time to gather materials.

Somehow managed to get the heater primed and fired up. Boy that manual is a tough read. About all it was good for was to get me to recall some of the YouTube videos that I have watched on firing these things up. Let it run for 15 min. or so and it picked the temp up in the 40-foot container 2 or 3 degrees with the roll up door ajar for the exhaust. Now to decide on the permanent mounting location.
You are right the supplied manual is pretty much worthless, good that you got it fired up and it working, here in MN without insulation the walls & ceiling would frost up and then it would rain. Maybe you could look into spray on foam insulation

here in MN without insulation the walls & ceiling would frost up and then it would rain. Maybe you could look into spray on foam insulation.
Under certain conditions it will get some condensation on the ceiling. I've heard that spray foam is fairly expensive. I've looked at this product before and thought maybe I should give it a try. I think anything that gives me a thermal break will help tremendously.

Under certain conditions it will get some condensation on the ceiling. I've heard that spray foam is fairly expensive. I've looked at this product before and thought maybe I should give it a try. I think anything that gives me a thermal break will help tremendously.

I used something similar to that and I put it up against a metal corrugated roof using construction adhesive. Granted you have to be inventive holding it up till dry.. Stayed put. Never had any come down.. Warn you though chickens love to pick at it....

Back