New work bench for the shipping container

Now might be a good time to quit attaching things to the walls until you decide what to do. Double sided tape might be your friend for awhile.
I was looking at it yesterday and we have a big peg board fastened to the wall on one side and the electrical conduit with outlets on the other. Its mostly shelving and cr@p piled along the walls. It would take a lot of moving stuff but could be done. The peg board frame is bolted in so it can be removed without too much trouble. Might need longer bolts after adding insulation.

Did some research on that insulation I was looking at and most reviews say to stay away from it. If I do something it will probably be foam board of some type. Wouldn't want to go any thicker than 1" on the walls. When you only have 8' wide it narrows quickly when you put shelving and other storage down the sides.

Did some research on that insulation I was looking at and most reviews say to stay away from it. If I do something it will probably be foam board of some type. Wouldn't want to go any thicker than 1" on the walls. When you only have 8' wide it narrows quickly when you put shelving and other storage down the sides.
I think 1" would work just fine, foam board works good

I agree ^. I have 2' wide shelves on both side of our 20' container use primarily for storage. Isle in the middles is wide enough for comfortable walking with an item in your hands. I believe 8' is outside measurements. Be some extra work but I would clean it out to bare walls and glue the 1"foam board on, then put the shelves and work benches on one side only. If your not to tall can utilize some overhead storage also but doubtful.

Started hanging the diesel heater. Figured I would set it up so I could direct the warm air right down on to the workbench when its cold. Just need to drill a couple more mounting holes, hang the fuel tank, and drill the hole for the exhaust.

Attachments

• 100_5796-m.jpg
    100_5796-m.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_5797-m.jpg
    100_5797-m.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_5803-m.jpg
    100_5803-m.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_5805-m.jpg
    100_5805-m.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 9
That looks good Chris, its nice to have warm tools work with and its out of the way, how are you going to power it
We have a big battery that came out of our Case IH 485 that was getting a little weak for the tractor. It still seems to hold a charge good even though it was losing some cranking capacity. Figure this will work for now but may look into an inverter at some point.

I've got it installed and running now. The duct is pointed down at the work bench and warmed the tools I had sitting on it. Need to tidy up the wiring and make some adjustment to the fuel line but then it should be ready to go. Even on the colder day if the container temp is cool, sitting by the work bench with the heat blowing on you should feel good. Today it was 52°F outside so it warmed up the work area to over 60°F in 15-20 min.

Attachments

• 100_5807-m.jpg
    100_5807-m.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_5808-m.jpg
    100_5808-m.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 5
First little job using the diesel heater. The stihl 026 is getting hard to start and wasn't running real good so I'm going to throw a kit in the carb and see if that will fix it. The heater warmed the saw up nicely so it was really comfortable on the hands. The temp outside was about 42°F and the container hit 55°F. Felt much warmer sitting under the heater outlet. The heater controller is hung on the bench but not directly under the outlet and said 16c which is around 60°F I believe. If I wasn't standing up, I may have fallen asleep.... LOL. The carb kit should be here before the end of the week.

Attachments

• 100_5811-m.jpg
    100_5811-m.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_5814-m.jpg
    100_5814-m.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_5816-m.jpg
    100_5816-m.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_5817-m.jpg
    100_5817-m.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 3
It’s nice you have a warm place to work now. Working in the cold can be miserable.
That's for sure never liked it when I was younger really don't like it now
For years I have avoided working in the shop in the winter months on projects that could be put off until warmer weather. Cold tools and numb fingers take the fun out of it. With the main shop having uninsulated walls it takes half of the day for the wood furnace and propane heater to warm it up to where its comfortable not to mention the cost. Hard to justify heating the big shop up for an hour or two of work on a small project. I'm thinking about section off an area in the big shop to work on tractors that I can easily heat with a woodstove. A 20' x 20' area would be plenty big enough.

Back