New year new project doing some work on the 58 CS

MNGB

Tractorologist
Hi all, well with the new year I'm starting a new project, will be refurbishing the 1958 Country squire mainly working on the hood, its beat up been welded in several places and has numerous layers of paint (I think its a 32nds inch thick) anyway started with using a side arm grinder with a sanding flap wheel to remove the paint and the high areas of weld. EPCO used some real steel in these hoods its a heavy thing.

HPIM1224.JPGHPIM1226.JPGHPIM1217.JPGHPIM1218.JPGHPIM1219.JPGHPIM1220.JPGHPIM1221.JPG

Got the paint off the hood cleaned it with lacquer thinner someone must have run into something cause the front of the hood is really dented, welded, has a reinforcing strap welded on. So it will take a fair amount of bondo and I got started on that this afternoon, body work is not one of my favorite things to do, I'm not good at it don't have the skills or patience.

HPIM1227.JPGHPIM1228.JPGHPIM1229.JPG

Got the paint off the hood cleaned it with lacquer thinner someone must have run into something cause the front of the hood is really dented, welded, has a reinforcing strap welded on. So it will take a fair amount of bondo and I got started on that this afternoon, body work is not one of my favorite things to do, I'm not good at it don't have the skills or patience.

View attachment 33027View attachment 33028View attachment 33029
Me neither.

Looks like another cool build especially since your "winter project" barely even lasted into winter, GB,---LOL! That tractor looks like a brute!

If i was retired, I would probably enjoy bodywork, but it is so time consuming and messy! I just let the stuff wear it's history until maybe someday there will be time for it!

DAC

Have been working on the hood some the last few days going slow but am making progress maybe this afternoon it will good enough to prime and see how it looks then, removed the starter / generator will clean the and paint it cleaned up the belt tension bolt had some dinged threads and will paint it, thinking about pulling the engine off and checking it out more may do a ring job as it smokes and uses oil more than I like

Too bad your not closer GB, I could help you out. I have done all of the sheet metal work on our restored tractors and some for few of the tractor club members. I usually pace myself if the sheet metal has a lot of damage and work on it a couple hours at a time that way it doesn't get overwhelming.

Too bad your not closer GB, I could help you out. I have done all of the sheet metal work on our restored tractors and some for few of the tractor club members. I usually pace myself if the sheet metal has a lot of damage and work on it a couple hours at a time that way it doesn't get overwhelming.
Thanks, yea that would be great if I were closer, I have been pacing myself work and hour go home take coffee break eat a couple cookies then its time to check the computer than its dinner time relax after dinner then back to the shop you see a pattern here :p. I am making progress think I'll get the hood primed tomorrow afternoon, did get the starter/gen painted along with the belt tensioner took a couple of pictures of todays work but they didn't turn out very good
HPIM1230.JPGHPIM1231.JPGHPIM1232.JPG

Sanded on the hood this morning and then gave it a shot of primer, after dinner I checked it over did a little more sanding then gave it another coat of primer. Worked on the engine removed the gas tank, flywheel shroud the cooling tins carb and the cylinder head, was easy to see why it smoked and was using oil there was visible oil on the piston top the cylinder walls look good no ridge so I measured the bore it has wear but am going with a std set of rings. Will pull the engine out of the tractor tomorrow (maybe) did get the bolts from the bellhousing removed.

HPIM1233.JPGHPIM1234.JPGHPIM1235.JPGHPIM1237.JPGHPIM1240.JPGHPIM1242.JPGHPIM1243.JPG

Thanks, yea that would be great if I were closer, I have been pacing myself work and hour go home take coffee break eat a couple cookies then its time to check the computer than its dinner time relax after dinner then back to the shop you see a pattern here :p. I am making progress think I'll get the hood primed tomorrow afternoon, did get the starter/gen painted along with the belt tensioner took a couple of pictures of todays work but they didn't turn out very good

Yep, coffee time takes priority around here also, except during hay season. Nice to get the hood to primer stage. Won't be long now.

Got the hood painted Case Flambeau red it not perfect by any means but good enough for this refurbish working on the gas tank now will paint it this afternoon will post pics of the hood and tank this evening. Will install the switches ammeter etc in the hood this afternoon

HPIM1244.JPGHPIM1245.JPGHPIM1246.JPGHPIM1247.JPGHPIM1248.JPGHPIM1249.JPG

Last edited:
Got the switches and ammeter installed in the hood, cleaned up and painted the gas tank and reassembled it then pulled the engine off washed it off and got lots of baked on gunk of I see part of the reason it was so gunky is the breather tube is missing alowing the oil mist to just come out and spread on the engine, also seen the clutch fingers are really worn so will have to weld them up and grind back so that will keep me busy for a while

HPIM1251.JPGHPIM1252.JPGHPIM1253.JPGHPIM1254.JPGHPIM1255.JPG

I apologize if I missed it but what HP B/S is in this tractor? That link-belt must be the starter/generator drive?

Very cool work, GB!

DAC

I apologize if I missed it but what HP B/S is in this tractor? That link-belt must be the starter/generator drive?

Very cool work, GB!

DAC
Hi DAC, its a 10 hp model 243431 a cast iron engine that replaced the Model 23, yea the OEM belt broke one day when I was driving around so installed the link belt will be installing a regular V belt now Actually this tractor"s OEM engine was the model 23 sometime it was replaced with this engine the 23 is 9 hp

Neat project Gary.

How would you replace that link belt if the tractor was all together, with a v belt ?

Must be a lot of those tractors in your area. Or do you have them all. Hehe.

Noel

Neat project Gary.

How would you replace that link belt if the tractor was all together, with a v belt ?

Must be a lot of those tractors in your area. Or do you have them all. Hehe.

Noel
Hi Noel no I don't have all of them but maybe a good amount of them yea the the engine trans has to be separated to install the V belt which it is now checked the clutch out this morning clutch fingers need to be welded up the pressure plate the flywheel and friction disc are all ok but the throwout bearing is badly worn and will be replaced

Last edited:
Worked on the clutch this afternoon got the fingers welded up and ground , cleaned the friction disc and its good to go, cleaned the gunk off the flywheel and the pressure plate and they are good to go, bought a spare throw out bearing off e bay, I have one in the parts bin but wanted to have a spare on hand. Got all the gunk cleaned off the engine and got it primed will paint it in the morning if I get out they are forecasting rain snow and wind 3-5 inches so we will see.

HPIM1256.JPGHPIM1258.JPGHPIM1259.JPGHPIM1260.JPGHPIM1261.JPGHPIM1262.JPG

Last edited:
What part of MN are you in, GB? Right at 5:30 tonight it was like a big blower turned on. Had been still all day. Spitting rain and snow with it. Gusting to 45 right now.

I've got a 1957 Wisconsin TF that would be right at home in a tractor like that! I never see anything even close to a tractor like you're building. Must be the difference between MN-eastern SD farm country and western SD dry land!

DAC

Hey Noel I just might be taking it easy if the weather guessers are right seems now days you don't know what is real and what is hipe.
Dac I'm in west central MN about 65 miles east of the North / South Dakota state line, Yea a few guys have installed the 2 cylinder Wis in these tractors requires stretching the frame, I'm happy with the 10 hp B&S this is just a fun drive around tractor for me

Back