New year new project doing some work on the 58 CS

The engine is now a pretty Rust oleum lobster Red about the same as Case Flambeau red and it looks good (to me anyway) also removed the bellhousing and painted it removed the steel plated that was installed to hold the battery cleaned it ground down some welds that were sticking up and got it primed painted the attaching bolts and nuts.

HPIM1263.JPGHPIM1264.JPGHPIM1265.JPGHPIM1267.JPGHPIM1268.JPGHPIM1269.JPGHPIM1270.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Noel I just might be taking it easy if the weather guessers are right seems now days you don't know what is real and what is hipe.
Dac I'm in west central MN about 65 miles east of the North / South Dakota state line, Yea a few guys have installed the 2 cylinder Wis in these tractors requires stretching the frame, I'm happy with the 10 hp B&S this is just a fun drive around tractor for me
Oh yeah GB, don't get me wrong, wasn't trying to tell you that your engine wasn't enough, Just got me thinking about my engine! That 10 hp B/S will be great on yours! It's looking really nice!

DAC

The engine is now a pretty Rust oleum lobster Red about the same as Case Flambeau red and it looks good (to me anyway) also removed the bellhousing and painted it removed the steel plated that was installed to hold the battery cleaned it ground down some welds that were sticking up and got it primed painted the attaching bolts and nuts.

View attachment 33314

View attachment 33314View attachment 33315View attachment 33316View attachment 33317View attachment 33318View attachment 33319View attachment 33320
OOOOHH, Shiny!!

Attachments

• homer.jpg
    homer.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 0
Oh yeah GB, don't get me wrong, wasn't trying to tell you that your engine wasn't enough, Just got me thinking about my engine! That 10 hp B/S will be great on yours! It's looking really nice!

DAC
No I didn't take it wrong if I were a few year younger and could wrestle tractor parts and engine around like I use to I'd go for it in fact a couple of years ago I was kind of checking CL to see if any were available close to me there have been a number of tractors converted to the 2 cylinder Wis in fact the factory built a proto type in the early 50's

No I didn't take it wrong if I were a few year younger and could wrestle tractor parts and engine around like I use to I'd go for it in fact a couple of years ago I was kind of checking CL to see if any were available close to me there have been a number of tractors converted to the 2 cylinder Wis in fact the factory built a proto type in the early 50's
I understand what you mean, GB! It's pretty crazy how heavy that Wisconsin TF is! Sure don't have a good horsepower to weight ratio---LOL!

DAC

Removed the trans this afternoon to paint it it was only 4 bolts drained the gearlube out was going to save it as I had changed it this past spring but after looking at it I threw it out and will go with new its in the paint room looking mighty shinny will reinstall it Monday

Went in and checked the shop this afternoon and to check out the trans paint it looked good so I quickly installed it and the bellhousing looks good also took a picture of the battery and toolbox plate that was painted and install yesterday

HPIM1271.JPGHPIM1273.JPGHPIM1275.JPGHPIM1276.JPGHPIM1277.JPGHPIM1278.JPG

Got a few more things done on the CS removed the steering tie rod and steering arms got them cleaned and painted cleaned up the ratchet lift assy and painted it painted the toolbox and have the parts all reinstalled, so this afternoon removed the drag link and pitman arm for painting. Installed the starter/generator mount and temp mounted the starter/gen to figure out what belt I needed, the original one broke in 2 last summer so I installed a link belt to get thur till now, I measured the link belt and came up with an A26 looked in the manuals I have and it said an A24 I got to thinking that 24 is was short so I asked another fellow who has replaced these belts and he said he uses a 4L300 and of course I thought that's to long but went to the hardware store got a 4L300 installed it and low and behold perfect fit. The new rings are suppose to be here on Saturday and the new carb on Friday so next week I'll pull the head and oil pan and remove the rod the piston will hone the cylinder and install the new rings

HPIM1279.JPGHPIM1280.JPGHPIM1281.JPGHPIM1282.JPGHPIM1283.JPGHPIM1284.JPGHPIM1285.JPG

Gary. That’s a lot of parts to paint. Do you use rattle cans to spray everything or do you mix paint and use a spray gun for each piece. Or spray everything all at once. A lot of fun cleaning if done at separate times.

Coming a long nicely.

Noel

Gary. That’s a lot of parts to paint. Do you use rattle cans to spray everything or do you mix paint and use a spray gun for each piece. Or spray everything all at once. A lot of fun cleaning if done at separate times.

Coming a long nicely.

Noel
Hi Noel I'm using rattle cans I have top of the line paint guns but I just don't have the ambition to get all the parts cleaned up and then spray the primer and paint on then do the spray gun clean up, so now I remove a few parts clean them shoot them and move on. I have found that rattle can spray has really improved in the past few years if one keeps track rattle can paint cost more but its convenient and you don't end up with a 1/2 gal od very expensive paint that you may never use up so its a trade off

Thanks it will look better than it was

So do you get the store to mix cans for you or get it just of the shelf at the store.? And what is the colour name.

Noel
Hi Noel I buy off the shelf right now I'm buying and using Rust oleum paints, I go to the local Fleet Farm store and that's what they now have they use to have a paint called Old 55 and I liked it but they dropped it. The Rust oleum I'm painting this with is Lobster Red its real close to Case Flambeau Red . I don't I know if ang stores mix rattle can paints around here but then again I've never thought about it. Can you get that done by you?

Yes Gary. For vehicles, if you give them the paint colour code off the vehicle they can mix a rattle can for you. We did it for the 64 rambler. I guess old tractors would be different, if you didn’t have the paint colour code.

Noel

Yes Gary. For vehicles, if you give them the paint colour code off the vehicle they can mix a rattle can for you. We did it for the 64 rambler. I guess old tractors would be different, if you didn’t have the paint colour code.

Noel
Hi Noel most time one can find the paint codes for old tractors so it should work just as well, so how does this can work is it reusable after you use it ?

Well Gary, I’m not sure about it being reusable. Never thought of that. It looks and works the same as any rattle can spray bomb.

Can’t remember what car this was for.

Noel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 5
There used to be a couple of paint suppliers around here that would fill spray bombs like that Noel, but both quit doing it because if "insurance reasons".

Yeah they are just regular old spray cans GB, throw them away when empty like a can of Rustoleum.

DAC

Was kind of like Christmas here this afternoon the piston rings came as did the new Carb, so this afternoon I drained the oil removed the oil pan to remove the rod cap it looked really nice inside clean as can be, removed the rod cap and it the rod loked great as did the crankshaft pushed the piston out the top and got busy and honed the cylinder and its ready for new rings and the piston tomorrow. Just for the fun of it I checked the end gap on the oil rings man what a gap didn't measure it but looks almost to be 1/8" manual says 0.030" on comp and 0.035" for the oil ring sure hope the new ones are closer then the old
HPIM1286.JPGHPIM1287.JPG

Sounds like the rings are for a smaller bore that what you have.
I've been wondering about that and I have no history on this engine have been wondering if someone did a ring job using the wrong rings I really doubt the factory would have, checked the new rings this morning had to file all three some to get the right end gap so that's good will put them in this afternoon

Back