New year new remodel projects.

First layer of mud down....I did everything but the corner beads around the dining room door. I'm going to hang the ceiling next week after I build the pantry on the opposite wall!

Nothing like a 10 hour day at work than almost 5 full hours on the kitchen. It feels good though. I mostly enjoy building things for my family. Ended up hanging more drywall on the right wall. Then did some other things that needed done.
20190107_221712.jpg

Last night I sent that photo to my dad. He looked at it and send back "missed one"

Right hand side below the window, I missed a joint! I ran out and did it real quick! Hard to believe when you start at white material long enough it all looks white and you miss stuff.

It's coming together. One more cabinet to put up. Countertop and sink then move onto the other side. Stuff was out of level. Floor. Back wall. Ceiling. When I modified the bulk head I built it to match the existing bulkhead so it wouldn't look funny. My eyes cant see that it's out of square but if I would of built each end square with the middle off I think it would been noticeable. My gosh what I wouldn't give to work in a house that was completely square.

Need to go to lowes tomorrow and get some sink drain stuff.

I buggered up the floor of my sink base. Miss drilled the holes in the floor by 2 inches. Dont really know what happened. I'll blame my kids and wife....

I'll just cut a piece of thin plywood and cover it. Not that big of a deal I guess.

20190109_195949.jpg

Good progress!

Thanks. I'm in about 17 hours right now...including moving supplies. Hauling out old stuff. Burning it. Cleaning up multiple times so you can walk through without stepping anything.

Another 50 60 hours it will be over.

If I can get my countertop on, sink done, and old fridge back in place Friday night I may just stop for a week and wait till my time frees up a little since next week progress will stop.

I have classes 2 hours away Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. End up with 12 hour days. 8 hour class 4 hours of driving.

It's coming together. I need to touch up a couple spots on my drywall. I have no idea how I missed two spots so badly.

You can see the inside corner of the bulkhead above where the fridge goes. I didnt fill the corner in fully. Hurrying too much...I can admit when I mess up....

20190111_214101.jpg

We always put the upper cabinets in first, can get to them easier and keep them lined up.

That is the way we always did it too, upper cabinets first. Much easier to position them. We never put the cabinets in till after painting. Any reason why your doing the cabinet install, etc. when the ceiling dry wall isn't put up yet ?

Last edited:
That is the way we always did it too, upper cabinets first. Much easier to position them. We never put the cabinets in till after painting. Any reason why your doing the cabinet install, etc. when the ceiling dry wall isn't put up yet ?

Just doing a section at a time. Next building the pantry and ceiling. Then doing the stove area. If my wife and kids would leave for 2 weeks I would of done it all at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand the need to get sections done so you get a square meal every night without going out!

That's the issue. I can eat a pbj or a microwave dinner. But I want my kids to eat as balanced of a meal as I can get them to eat.

The area I just finished was going to be most difficult area in the sense that the drywall was needing redone. The stove area will be easy. Should just be able to take down the cabinets and put new cabinets up with minimal patching and work. Although I could be completely wrong! Wont know till I tear into it.

The pantry build and ceiling wont effect any of the kitchen build. Although I hate spreading drywall dust and crap everywhere. I will drag out some old painters tarps and cover.

I think you are doing this the best way possible considering it all! Good luck with the other areas!

Tough going when you have to use the area your working in. Ever used a wet sponge rather than sanding the joints, etc.? No dust that way. Ever wonder how the old lath & plaster guys did it? They wern't concerned about a smooth finish though.

Tough going when you have to use the area your working in. Ever used a wet sponge rather than sanding the joints, etc.? No dust that way. Ever wonder how the old lath & plaster guys did it? They wern't concerned about a smooth finish though.

I've wondered that myself. I have a "standing sponge" it's like a regular car wash sponge on one side then rough like sand paper on the other. Never tried it. I might try it out this round!

Lathe and plaster had to be a pain to do. I needs it's a horrible pain in the butt to remove!

Back