Not Sure What I Have

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
Maybe a piece of junk. My daughters brother in law told me a couple of months ago he had a tractor he was going to throw away. I volunteered to come and get it. He’s a super nice guy and I hated to say know. He said it quit two years ago. He put a new battery in it and of course that didn’t help so he just parked it. The green hood has a unexplained GT decal. The frame has a Briggs 25 OHV Intek Twin and the fender pan is red lol. Newer tires, battery dated 2019 and is still showing 10 volts after sitting two years. It has a nice deck really in good shape and heavy duty. It does nothing, I jumped the starter and it spun with good compression. I’m not getting any thing out of the solenoid. When I get a chance I’ll try to eliminate an open safety switch and check the solenoid. Right now it has no priority except my curiosity. I read the Inteks can be god or bad. I’m thinking salvaging the wheels and tires for yard trailers, battery, seat isn’t too bad, and maybe the engine. It has no shroud so I’m going to find out if he has that or else if running it might run hot.
E9E00519-75DB-469A-8649-E7C26DD7F2AF.jpegB9C2BBD4-2EBA-4397-90F4-B0B02F8A8D62.jpegBC0DB4A8-A9B3-4EEC-852C-317C0D679437.jpeg8FE630D3-2388-43CB-B816-6CAD110FB439.jpeg

There is only 1 B+S 25Hp with a 48-inch deck for Craftsman made.
TractorData.com Craftsman 917.27226 tractor engine information

All the others afterwards were made by AYP using Kohler engines in the GT Series. The green hood is a GT hood, but the rest is in the link saying it's the DLT 2000. This machine has troubles, mostly non-engine. The hydrostatic trans (peerless 2000) , PTO function switch, eats belts, starting solenoid, and the dreaded deck lift handle that snaps in two requiring a complete tear down of the machine just to re-weld or swap in a new part. errrr. Oh, I forgot, I owned on of these painful machines.

There is only 1 B+S 25Hp with a 48-inch deck for Craftsman made.
TractorData.com Craftsman 917.27226 tractor engine information

All the others afterwards were made by AYP using Kohler engines in the GT Series. The green hood is a GT hood, but the rest is in the link saying it's the DLT 2000. This machine has troubles, mostly non-engine. The hydrostatic trans (peerless 2000) , PTO function switch, eats belts, starting solenoid, and the dreaded deck lift handle that snaps in two requiring a complete tear down of the machine just to re-weld or swap in a new part. errrr. Oh, I forgot, I owned on of these painful machines.
Thanks for the info. I seen the DLT series this afternoon and thought it looked similar. If I can’t find a safety switch problem I’ll check the solenoid out. I would like to see if I can get the engine to start. I seen the deck lift handle design what a mess.

I only went and got it to keep from making the guy feel bad he actually thought he was giving me something. The battery is like new, the tires are in like new condition, and I can use the seat. I have a friend that can use the tranny. If the engine runs I’ll keep that. So it wasn’t a total waste of time.

I noticed that over the weekend Daniel. I haven’t had much time but my curiosity is killing me so I called the PO. He told me it wasn’t the original engine so it has been repowered. I’m hoping he has the engine shroud if I get it running. Good eye Daniel!

I think I have a shroud to fit it. I'm missing the left head cover as I gave it to a friend who has a briggs repowered John Deere 317. If he can't find the shroud, maybe it won't cost too much to ship this one to you. One I have is an 18hp Briggs, but looks just like your engine.

I think I have a shroud to fit it. I'm missing the left head cover as I gave it to a friend who has a briggs repowered John Deere 317. If he can't find the shroud, maybe it won't cost too much to ship this one to you. One I have is an 18hp Briggs, but looks just like your engine.
I’m waiting to see if the PO has the cover. I have both head covers but not the top cover. I know it’s necessary to keep from running hot. So far I have found out the only engine numbers are on the shroud which I don’t have so I’m not sure what size this is. I’ll let you know Daniel about the cover. Thanks

early Cub Loboys had a 14hp 4cyl... and thats still ALOT more tractor than a modern 25hp

btw... I wouldnt even start an L head briggs without the engine tins.... the head will over heat in about 1 minute
I have both head covers but waiting to see if the PO has the top cover.

Back