Picked up these two Sears today....

I always preferred the gear driven cubs over the hydro models. They had more lug and tug to them.

Even the old mf7. 7hp of pure pulling power. I had quite a bit of weight in my little wagon and I had no issue pulling it around. Actually the wagon did because the axle snapped and the little Massey kept pulling it dragging in the dirt. I didn't notice right away as it kept pulling right along.

I agree when it comes to working I would prefer a gear drive. My go to beast is my Sears SS15 with turfs, chains and 55# weights over each rear wheel. I started hauling long logs home last year instead of cutting them first so I could haul more. It’s a bit rough terrain where the trailer wants to push but this Sears is like a mule. This was my first load out it’s about 35 minutes away from the house. Not to brag but it never act like anything was back there. I need to make a front weight bracket to keep the front down sometimes.
0217813B-785E-47DC-95BA-44F03751CBFE.jpeg

thats a nice picture.... there was a local guy here selling some 8" wheel weights last week I might go pickup..... wheel weights or fluid filling the front tires is far easier on the front end than hanging weights of the frame.

Im quite liking my two Sears GTs so far altho I havent really put either of them to work yet... I expect the 19.9 with a gearbox to be a very capable tractor so I plan to put my cultivator on it and test it out in the spring. It will need more weight and some decent tires but I think it will pull very well... at least until the rubber band clutch start to smoke. Lol

back in the day 7hp could pull a good load, oem engine in my RaM was 6.6, these days some self propelled mowers are rated higher.

Seems HP is alot like a dollar..... doesnt go half as far as it used to. Lol

This particular Massey has a 7hp honda clone. Darn thing is a mule! Old tecumseh was just worn out. I have it sat aside for a rebuild at some point.

What model of tractor is this, I saw it at an antique tractor show about 4 years ago here, WHEN we could have events to go to !!!!!

Noel

Attachments

• 8D1079A8-F0B5-4ACA-BE33-CBF982A05566.jpeg
    8D1079A8-F0B5-4ACA-BE33-CBF982A05566.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20DEEC59-3820-4B89-9057-C5B8F69B3E64.png
    20DEEC59-3820-4B89-9057-C5B8F69B3E64.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
Even the old mf7. 7hp of pure pulling power. I had quite a bit of weight in my little wagon and I had no issue pulling it around.

Your right Aaron. They are a beast of a tractor. Pulls our trailer with about 1/2 cord of hardwood in it. All thou this MF 7 has a 8 hp briggs in it. Still.

Noel

Attachments

• B4AB685A-D59D-49A0-91AD-54E59C88A30C.png
    B4AB685A-D59D-49A0-91AD-54E59C88A30C.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • FBC05FC6-64A8-4AC9-AD71-25D5109FED60.png
    FBC05FC6-64A8-4AC9-AD71-25D5109FED60.png
    3 MB · Views: 7
That is the geared version of my hydro 990
View attachment 43457

Ya, nice looking tractor Jim. It just looks like, it can do the job. Looks quite a bit bigger than the picture of the one I posted.
I’d like to get a White version of those some day. GT 1650 or 1655, not sure of the White number. Any way, a Yard Boss is the thing I want. Still see some White farm tractors around which are Field Boss. So I’d like to have a Yard Boss. They look similar. I tend to like collecting garden tractors that are very similar in look and name, as the farm tractors.

Noel

Is this what your talking about. I too like these with the shades of silver, gray, and a chrome front end. My neighbor has one of the farm tractors like this and it’s nice. I would have to have it if I ever came across one. Sorry Lance we’re getting carried away on your thread.
0D00839F-71F9-4BB6-94A2-6EEC575D62D0.jpeg

thats a nice picture.... there was a local guy here selling some 8" wheel weights last week I might go pickup..... wheel weights or fluid filling the front tires is far easier on the front end than hanging weights of the frame.

Im quite liking my two Sears GTs so far altho I havent really put either of them to work yet... I expect the 19.9 with a gearbox to be a very capable tractor so I plan to put my cultivator on it and test it out in the spring. It will need more weight and some decent tires but I think it will pull very well... at least until the rubber band clutch start to smoke. Lol
Lance someone on the other forum told me years ago when I first got into loving these tractors has stuck with me. “You need enough tractors so you don’t have to change implements”. With a little tweaking on a few this winter I think I’m there. It seems like they all have their own personalities and things they do best.

no worries getting off topic in my threads... I do it all the time.Lol

The Yard Boss are the nicest looking of the mtd..... the early ones had similar frames to the 960/990 and the later ones were like the 900 series tractors. I dont consider the 960/990 to be part of the 900 series because of the differance in the engines.... the 960/990 were open sided single cyl and the 900 series had twin cyl engines hidden under side panels.... similar in many ways but they look very differant. The 760/860/960 and 990 are all from what I call the "Hundred" series because they often would have stickers with 'Ten Hundred' thru 'Sixteen Hundred' printed on them. The 992 I think was the first twin with side panels... although they are often missing. That is also when the frames and sheet metal in general started to get thinner.

You may only NEED enough tractors so that you dont have to change attachments... BUT... whats wrong with owning a couple for FUN... I dont NEED a tractor that can send a jd420 home early from the pulls.... but the guy is an a-hole so Somebody needs to do it... rotflmao ;)

Lance someone on the other forum told me years ago when I first got into loving these tractors has stuck with me. “You need enough tractors so you don’t have to change implements”. With a little tweaking on a few this winter I think I’m there. It seems like they all have their own personalities and things they do best.

I’m all most there. I need a White, Cub Cadet and an Allis Chalmers garden tractors. That should do me. I thought the last few years that I’d never get another tractor. Hehe. Then all of a sudden I end up with two Case tractors. So, ya never know, I might get these 3 yet.

Noel

Is this what your talking about. I too like these with the shades of silver, gray, and a chrome front end. My neighbor has one of the farm tractors like this and it’s nice. I would have to have it if I ever came across one. Sorry Lance we’re getting carried away on your thread.
View attachment 43465

Ya that’s the one Jim. Sure do like those. And this one too,

Noel

Attachments

• 5335F497-70C5-4FDD-93AD-114E86A17468.png
    5335F497-70C5-4FDD-93AD-114E86A17468.png
    3 MB · Views: 8
no worries getting off topic in my threads... I do it all the time.Lol

The Yard Boss are the nicest looking of the mtd..... the early ones had similar frames to the 960/990 and the later ones were like the 900 series tractors. I dont consider the 960/990 to be part of the 900 series because of the differance in the engines.... the 960/990 were open sided single cyl and the 900 series had twin cyl engines hidden under side panels.... similar in many ways but they look very differant. The 760/860/960 and 990 are all from what I call the "Hundred" series because they often would have stickers with 'Ten Hundred' thru 'Sixteen Hundred' printed on them. The 992 I think was the first twin with side panels... although they are often missing. That is also when the frames and sheet metal in general started to get thinner.

You may only NEED enough tractors so that you dont have to change attachments... BUT... whats wrong with owning a couple for FUN... I dont NEED a tractor that can send a jd420 home early from the pulls.... but the guy is an a-hole so Somebody needs to do it... rotflmao ;)
Nothing at all wrong with fun tractors. I have a a few with no implements but I love to just ride around checking things out instead of walking. I’ve thought a little about pulling one. I have a neighbor that has several big time pullers fun to look at but I would go stock if I ever did it.

Back