Possible Hydraulic Setup?

I placed an order at Surplus Center for the hoses and some fittings. Once I get that, I can get to figuring out the valve mounting and location. It will be next to the seat on the RH side.

Finally received my order of parts late yesterday. May get to locate the valve today!

EDIT: What fluid would be best here? Power Steering? Low-vis hyd? Give me your thoughts.

Last edited:
This morning I got the hoses and fittings on the valve. It's ready for a test fit.

DSCN5505.JPG DSCN5506.JPG

Winds are gusting above 15 MPH and I have no wind break in that direction. If I don't get this attached to the pump today, tomorrow is supposed to be better.

Looks great, Kenny, hope the weather cooperates! I didn't get to post but I second Daniel's vote on the atf. That is what has always been put in the little hydo system on my MF8E and it's had Dexron, Mopar and Ford mixed through the years. Never knew any better 30 years ago when I got the tractor.

DAC

Last edited:
Looks great, Kenny, hope the weather cooperates! I didn't get to post but I second Daniel's vote on the atf. That is what has always been put in the little hydo system on my MF8E and it's had Dexron, Mopar and Ford mixed through the years. Never knew an better 30 years ago when I got the tractor.

DAC
ATF it will be. The cylinder I am using has a bit of JD Low-vis in it, should mix I would think.

Got the valve mount made up.
DSCN5510.JPG

Test fit:
DSCN5511.JPG DSCN5512.JPG

Painted and installed:
DSCN5513.JPG

Here's what I got for fluid. It was $18 a gallon compared to $5 a quart:
DSCN5514.JPG

Attached the cylinder and my pressure gauge just for giggles:
DSCN5515.JPG

Filling the pump:
DSCN5516.JPG

At rest pressure:
DSCN5517.JPG

Cylinder maxed on stroke:
DSCN5518.JPG

Think it will work just fine. A 3.5 inch stroke cylinder takes 2 seconds or less to work.

Back