Raccoon Box Trap

Would this thing catch a Bobcat too? I came across one today on the ride home about 1/2 mile from the house. It wasn't phased at all as the Ram 2500 approached it along the road. These are worse than a mean old cat Leroy Brown when approached on foot.
They will if I used a different bait. When I first started doing this a bobcat walked by in the distance. I’m only using peanut butter with some mini marshmallows that’s a favorite for coons. We are home to the stray cat Rusty so I can’t use any meat bait. I did shoot a bobcat last Fall that came slowly roaming out of the edge of our woods one evening stalking a rabbit.

Have you tried peanut butter with marshmallows. They can’t resist the PB and they think the MM’s are eggs is what I read. Don’t use any meat.
I put old fruit and carrots in there. I go outside and my favorite cat Richard is sitting in the trap looking at me like “ok. I uh made a mistake and uh yeah can you help me out?” Open the door and he slowly walked out trying to preserve his dignity.

I did that last year too, Aaron! There is one old stray around here that is at least 10 years old. Wife and I just call him "Old Man". I was trapping a bunch of cats and kittens at an abandon trailer house next door to control the population before it got out of hand. We had been giving some food to old Man now and then but just enough for him. He found the trap I set and did the same thing you described---LOL! Not mad or panicky, he was laying in the cage patiently and when I opened it he too just slowly strolled out. He did give me a dirty look as he wandered off into the weeds! Still see him now and then last time was about a month ago.

DAC

I did that last year too, Aaron! There is one old stray around here that is at least 10 years old. Wife and I just call him "Old Man". I was trapping a bunch of cats and kittens at an abandon trailer house next door to control the population before it got out of hand. We had been giving some food to old Man now and then but just enough for him. He found the trap I set and did the same thing you described---LOL! Not mad or panicky, he was laying in the cage patiently and when I opened it he too just slowly strolled out. He did give me a dirty look as he wandered off into the weeds! Still see him now and then last time was about a month ago.

DAC
It was -almost like “you didn’t catch me I came in here because I wanted to come in here”

Never had to deal with raccoons, they generally stay clear of homes where dogs are present.
Live trap was used to catch a lost Whippet that been roaming the ‘hood for 12 days. I was sure it had become part of the food chain but people had been leaving food out for the dog as there had been many sightings.

I got a Opossum last night. Nasty animals, it stunk something awful. Something is riding our corn stalks down but not eating anything, it’s got me puzzled. It’s too late in the year but I’m going to put a electric fence up next year for sure.

In case this thread is offending anyone I’m sorry. If you live in the country you have to protect your farm animals and crops. The bobcat I shot was about 30’ over from our chickens stalking a rabbit. Although the chickens are safe in their coop and run area the commotion or threat of a predator stresses them causing them to not lay as much. A raccoon can destroy more corn in one night than you could eat in a week. They only nibble on each ear then go to the next ruining a large area in one night. We have a lot of deer but they never bother the gardens or the flower beds. They are happy with just grazing in the grassy areas near the woods.

Opossum are good for ticks and sucks and they do not carry rabies or distemper like coons.

I would say your corn getting mowed down is groundhogs. I remember when I was little, dad had a beautiful corn crop of sweet corn, just days from picking. He came home 1 evening and it was all flattened, very little was eaten. He determined it was groundhogs. Just so happened we had a German Long Haired Collie pup that was 6 months old. By the next summer, you couldn't find a groundhog anywhere, that dog was earning his keep.

Most all TC have a delay feature so they don't load up the card on tree movement. Might check your settings and reduce the dely if that is possibly on yours.
Your right Roger. I was out there acting like an idiot in front of it the other night. It’s got a 6 second period of recording followed by about a 7 second delay before it records again. It’s got 3 factory settings along with a custom setting. I think I’ll bring it in the house and play with it now that our corn is finished. Between the heat and bugs I can’t do anything with it outside. I almost have to have a magnifying glass to see the screen settings…not old people friendly.

Opossum are good for ticks and sucks and they do not carry rabies or distemper like coons.

I would say your corn getting mowed down is groundhogs. I remember when I was little, dad had a beautiful corn crop of sweet corn, just days from picking. He came home 1 evening and it was all flattened, very little was eaten. He determined it was groundhogs. Just so happened we had a German Long Haired Collie pup that was 6 months old. By the next summer, you couldn't find a groundhog anywhere, that dog was earning his keep.
I never thought about a groundhog. I bet your right Marty.

#5 stopped by the one way out motel last night about 10:26 pm. I thought it was going to be the biggest but not after watching the trail cam. It brought a friend much bigger and was upset pacing the area for several hours until around 2:45am. It made several trips to the trap checking on the one in the trap. I also seen another opossum after the coon was trapped.
63988641-594E-4D86-8F5E-8D475569A200.jpeg3919EA77-E789-4E9B-9862-DF6AEA4FE73F.jpeg511D7930-4172-4DC5-8A70-74063E5E5D60.jpegA6A369E3-67EE-4E3B-951D-AAC71947A500.jpeg3930C644-8854-4145-B7E8-088594DC67CD.jpeg
I’m glad our corn is done, now I’m seeing more stalks pushed over and leftover cobs eaten. Definitely an electric fence is going up next year.

#6 this morning no pics at all except a few of the corn tassels blowing around during the day. It was a small one but would have been bigger and a threat next year. I’m thinking the big guy that was in the pic moving around the last time has out smarted me. I seen a guy on YouTube placed several marshmallows outside leading to the trap. I’ve only been placing about a teaspoon of peanut butter with 3-4 mini marshmallows on a metal lid inside the trap. I also thought about moving the trap to another location. Stay tuned!

I think I got the big guy this morning. He was the biggest yet. Problem is the trail cam as usual didn’t show the coon going in the trap but I could see the trap door was down and two smaller ones walking around. Strange thing was all this happened at 5:43 this morning. All the other visits have been around midnight or 2am. I told Carol I’m thinking about not setting it anymore now since I got the big one and these are little. From the mouth of a country girl “ them little ones will be big ones next year”. I guess I’ll keep setting it out.

Back