Sawdust’s Garden 2022

I think the ground in the garden may be ready but I am not. Rain moving in later today then off/on shower for a couple more days. Working on sewer line opening today. Tanks are pumped but line is still stopped up. Coming back with the big jetter this afternoon, that will open it up.
I hurt bad Roger before and more afterwards. My cholesterol was high on my annual visit a couple of weeks ago and they put me on some Lipitor which made my whole body ache. I had to stop taking that then he put me on Amplodipine and it’s been good if I remember to take it with a meal.

I have a Simplicity 36" tiller for my dad's Homelite T-16H . I used that for many years. $ years ago we stopped gardening in the ground when I built my wife 4 Raised bed planter boxes. It was time as we age to get up off the ground. I tilled so many garden spots and yards for people over the years with it. I actually bought the tiller in 1996 from a local repair shop. With it came the mule drive new belt, a 42" dozer blade, back blade for a Sears Custom and a couple of small pieces. Paid $125 for it all.
I have been asked to sell it many times and I just can't do it.
Hoping the weather changes here soon so we can get the boxes ready to plant this year. Raining today and supposed to be 40* F . Most all the snow is gone except for the piles from plowing the drives. Have great day everyone and smell the spring in the air.
Roger

We have raised beds for the strawberries, using large tractor tires. Only advantage I see in raised beds is don't have to bed as far to get to the "ground". Takes a lot more manual work to maintain raised beds.

We have raised beds for the strawberries, using large tractor tires. Only advantage I see in raised beds is don't have to bed as far to get to the "ground". Takes a lot more manual work to maintain raised beds.
Raised beds are no labor to maintain at all. I just toss the mini tiller over in them make a few passes while walking along side of the beds to prepare. No weeds, dirt is loose enough I use my fingers to make the furrows and can dig a hole with a small trowel. The ground in between the beds are mulched so no weeds there. If lumber wasn’t so high I would have my whole garden in beds.

Sunday I wasn’t feeling good a real weird feeling with upset stomach, dizzy, and a bad headache. I wanted to get a few things done in the garden because we had rain moving in today. I just laid around most of the day and watched the NASCAR race.

This morning the rain was delayed so I got busy early. I got the garden we plant potatoes and corn all disc. We have a few cool days this week but warm weather is coming back the later part. I’m going to try and get the potatoes planted the end of the week.
6F86B4B2-F471-4ECB-94F6-82C93A2A4644.jpeg5FB2E8DA-CD34-4181-8157-91DBBF61AB50.jpeg
I dug a few green onions for lunch today. I planted two more rows of white and yellow onion sets. I added some more 10-10-10 granulated fertilizer to the beds. I used the little mini tiller and tilled the flower bed next to the garden and fertilized that also. Carol plants a 50’ row of sun flowers, zinnias, and cosmos along the garden.Just as I went to park my tractor it started to rain...perfect! Now for a cup of coffee and some porch time watching it rain.
F5CAA754-1FF1-48FB-8FD6-21C8C8D8C9F9.jpeg
Seedlings are doing well some of the jalapeño peppers are slow for some reason same pack of seeds and starter mix. 44 various pepper plants and 93 various tomato plants.
DF7CF634-26AA-4EE4-A410-0335EA362D5E.jpegA2A17160-0540-4CB6-9344-1497BE52D7F0.jpeg

Roger we probably should sell them. We nurse them to ready to plant then keep what we want and give the rest away to friends and family. Two of our three kids are starting their own this year so we’ll have more leftover. We also have like a produce table at church where you can leave stuff for others to enjoy all season long. We wasn’t going to start our own plants this year but got worried about the availability of garden stuff.

I was at a F&H store Struday and they had just unloaded a bunch of garden plants and flowers. Carolyn was at another one the other direction yesterday and they also had a bunch out side and had all the help moving everything indoors due to freeze warning for last night. We had 27° F and white ground.

We used to cover thing up, flowers and garden plants like the tomatoes.. finally figured out it is much easier to wait till 1st of May to do much along those lines.
All we have in the garden are green onions they will be fine. A young dog wood tree, a lilac bush, long row of creeping phlox, butterfly bush, a couple of heirloom rose bushes, and various other things I can’t think of. All these are perennials some we’ve had for a long time.

Was out buy the garden today and actually thought about getting out the Craftsman and tiller but then I thought again and didn't. This year I'm not going to prep the garden until I'm ready to plant. Hopefully the weeds will be up by then and I can knock them down. The way the weather has been this spring it will be another month before that happens.

Was out buy the garden today and actually thought about getting out the Craftsman and tiller but then I thought again and didn't. This year I'm not going to prep the garden until I'm ready to plant. Hopefully the weeds will be up by then and I can knock them down. The way the weather has been this spring it will be another month before that happens.
Yeah Chris I’ve seen the weather coming across your area all year. I had a sweet spot in the weather the other day so I had to jump on it. We’ve not had much rain considering it being one of our wetter months just the occasional light rain every few days just to make it too wet to do anything.

Haven't done a thing in the garden yet. 2 pair of swallows showed up yesterday so had to open a couple doors to an old storage building for them. Kicked the dry top dirt off the garden and in a another couple days may be ready. Thinking of going to the Amish green house Friday get most of our plants. Always have good luck with their products except the sweet potatoes. To early for them yet anyway by another month.

Noel, when I was a kid on the farm it was a tradition that potatoes were planted on Good Friday as long as the ground was fit. Dad usually bought 100 lbs of seed potatoes, then sit there for a few hours to get them cut.

Roger, I have planted in the third to four week of April. Can’t this year thou. I have planted in the middle of May which is sorta normal for here. But I wait till first week of June or so. I just never found really that I didn’t see much difference in early to later planting, in the end result at harvest time. Less chance of rot if planted later in warm soil. Just my thinking. A few years ago we had three or four days of hard frost in the third week of June. All potatoe plants were up out of the ground 3” to 6”. Plants all turned black. But, still had a good crop.

Noel

I think all the plants adapt to the conditions. I have seen soy bean planted in June that made a crop. May not have been quite as high a yield but it still made a crop. We usually don't plant the Sweet tater plants till around Memorial day or right after.

Haven't done a thing in the garden yet. 2 pair of swallows showed up yesterday so had to open a couple doors to an old storage building for them. Kicked the dry top dirt off the garden and in a another couple days may be ready. Thinking of going to the Amish green house Friday get most of our plants. Always have good luck with their products except the sweet potatoes. To early for them yet anyway by another month.

Noel, when I was a kid on the farm it was a tradition that potatoes were planted on Good Friday as long as the ground was fit. Dad usually bought 100 lbs of seed potatoes, then sit there for a few hours to get them cut.
We have the same tradition here too Roger planting potatoes on Good Friday but seems like that’s never possible anymore.

Roger, I have planted in the third to four week of April. Can’t this year thou. I have planted in the middle of May which is sorta normal for here. But I wait till first week of June or so. I just never found really that I didn’t see much difference in early to later planting, in the end result at harvest time. Less chance of rot if planted later in warm soil. Just my thinking. A few years ago we had three or four days of hard frost in the third week of June. All potatoe plants were up out of the ground 3” to 6”. Plants all turned black. But, still had a good crop.

Noel
Your right Mr. Potato Man them taters don’t like that cold moist soil. Don’t ask me how I know this :D

Back