The Build to "Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors!"

Sears.. no longer a customer either, as a former employee. Even if I happen across a Sears store that hasn't closed yet you won't see me in there. That's the result of a sour exit to my employment back in 2001. I won't get into it but at that point I had worked for them for 13 years between 2 locations.they pizzed me off too bad at that point. They don't need my hard earned money since then, screw them. For about half of those years that I had in there I was part time as my 2nd job// and often spent that weeks paycheck right there and then some. Sears was where I met my wife and she too had 12 years in as a Sears employee.
Them having switched crapsman production largely to China is another huge reason but is an afterthought, in this case.
I still buy older crapsman stuff from garage sales and our local auction house, since 2001 though if I break anything of that brand it goes to the scrap pile. And no I don't buy their crap from Ace hardware or Lowe's either.

Oddly enough our sears is staying open. It's always dead. I dont see it lasting.

A friend of mines dad worked for sears forever at their parts counter. They shut down their in store parts counter and canned him.

I miss Kmart. We used kmart for a ton of the supplies for the little kids. Diapers, wipes, ect were always the cheapest there. Now we go to target.

Yeah I miss the "old" Kmart, anyone remember the SS Kresge? It was like a condensed version of Kmart. Still had the popcorn machine going all the time.
And I miss Sears as it used to be, back when I was a kid and went in there with my dad in the 70s and 80s what Sears has become?
To that I have to say "Good riddance"

UPDATE!

This is my new modification for hauling 7/8 X 8' pressure treated round posts to the site for H-Brace, Corner, and such in the Bekaert non climb horse fence I'm installing.

It was very simple, and has quick connects too.

It has hauled 1 at a time to site all 22. I have 94 hrs on the tractor now.

Also, the flat pad in the background is the finished, level pad I did entirely with the JB jr.

Attachments

• IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1513.JPG
    IMG_1513.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 32
Apex tool group makes the tools for craftsman last time I checked. All in china.

However...the rebuild/training shop is using all harbor freight hand tools.

I watched a guy beat on a harbor freight 1.5" wrench with a 4lb hammer with all he had to break a bolt loose. The wrench held in there like a champ. None of the tools we have bought. Almost 2 grand worth(which is a lot of tools) has broken yet.

I am a firm believer that MOST cheap tools will suffice for the average mechanic. I have done some pretty major projects with an 89 dollar crescent brand set! Built whole dirt track cars. Tore down and rebuilt engines. At that time all I had was a good torque wrench.

I want to add, there are few tools that need that expensive name. I do pay the price for the snap-on swivels and some specialty tools because they don't slip (perfect fit) and they are thin for the tight spaces. I've had a Craftsman socket set (full) for 27 years (ish) without fail, not once.

Having a good torque wrench? for sure, this is one to spend money on and when it counts (putting that head on with time, money, and blood invested in the rebuild) having that wrench tested by a machine shop is also valuable prior to when it counts if it has been awhile.

I like my HF stuff but they are projects, at least I know what I'm getting at HF. The solar battery's work great and have lasted 3 years in my Ariens rider. They work great in my GT also.

Update, (05JUL2019)

This build was shared between 2 forums. As I update between the two I try to keep them both up to speed. So I'll share the same info. I included the professionals that came up with the chassis design and their credentials are numerous, if interested.

I believe I may have the “Newest Fully Restored” Garden Tractor in the US, possibly in North America.

My story of how I got to this build is told in “Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors”. I intentionally told it as it unfolded, not trying to offend anyone, though, understandably, I was very upset. I had been deceived, out right lied too, slandered, accused, and wife too, from the original Dealer, and then Husqvarna.

I found out that many Husqvarna GT owners going back before 2012 have been in the same place, and endured the same or similar Corporate Abuse I had, but with a twist….. many were afraid to be public and endure the ridicule from other owners. This upset me too. I would rather defend the most naive and trusting of people than the most cold and morally bankrupt, even when it’s a Business. So I took this straight on, the good and the bad. I haven't always tackled things that might make me look good (this seemed disingenuous to me) .... I just do my best.

If someone seeks out my original story, I warn you it’s raw. The reason, is how offensive it all became to me over a $150 chassis, and the words “Husqvarna will never warranty their chassis, ever!” “If there is a problem with their tractor it will show up the first day of use” helped contribute also. Yep, from the Dealer, Backed up by Husqvarna, because, according to Husqvarna, those decisions are left to their authorized representatives, so they stand.

This story, “The Build” originally started here,

http://www.floridametalcraft.com/PDF...20Observer.pdf

with seeking out the right kind of expertise to properly assess, guide, confirm, and of course fix my tractor. They know how to keep their word.

My confidence in knowing that Husqvarna miss-represents their Garden Tractor started with engineers and craftsman in the agricultural machinery field, then I had a base of knowledge to study the subject.

Once I understood why the Husqvarna chassis for their GT/ TS is incapable of the stress of “ground engagement work”, and collected the evidence that proves this, the hard part was to communicate the evidence.

An interesting journey and at times running into a possible few Husqvarna Representatives that may have hid behind aliases as this, online,
tango_face_angel.png
but were actually this
tango_face_devil.png
so they could be this
hide.gif
while they were really trying to say this
Stop.gif
and as the evidence would be presented they did this
nohear.gif
, Some might say "dog-piling or gas-lighting" too, not willing to discuss in the open the evidence as I have routinely requested. I guess when you don’t have any actual evidence to defend a specific position, a person is left with the choice to,

1) Slander
2) Intimidate
3) Deflect
4) Minimize
5) Call a truce
6) Ignore

My ideal, let’s talk.

In Conclusion;

The project has turned out well. The tractor works well. I really like it, and it's a real pleasure to operate. If you are buying one for mowing, and want a tough mower, it's a bargain and comfortable, Kawasaki is a plus.

If contemplating a Garden Tractor, let's face it the cheapest fully capable Garden Tractor in our market I can find does not come with a mower deck for $9K, making this look very appealing.

I would say if looking at it as a $3,700 project, there are some good used projects out there that may be better.

If you just want to do it because you want to prove it can be done, with modifications, why stop there, I haven't seen one plow a farm yet (a real farm 100 acres +), that would be interesting. Also full set of tracks would be great too!

If you find yourself already owning one and concerned of it's limitations or worse, the best advice I can give you is this;

The biggest difference was adding the extra 1/4" hard steel and extending all the way to the back of the rear sleeve plate.

One continuous welded piece on each side from the very front to the very back (the extra 3" beyond the original chassis, the TS chassis is 57" long). The rear sleeve plate on the Husqvarna TS354D (GT), as an example has a lot of stress placed on it, but does not have full support of the chassis because the chassis doesn't go all the way to the back.

It's crazy to think now, that Husqvarna would actually try and make people believe that their top of the line tractor at $3,700. (now),

Husq scoop displayed on GT-TS ad.png

Even the rest of the world, as an example,

Husq TS354 in Australia is a Garden Tractor.png

Being structurally "capable" of Ground Engaging work.

It's the Chassis (like a house foundation),
The Transmission,
The Motor,
That make a tractor "capable" of ground engagement work, not colorful marketing and empty promises.

The difference in pan chassis between this tractor;

new ts348xd-4.png

And this one ???

IMG_0578.jpeg

The pan chassis in this tractor,

IMG_0578.jpeg

Is identical in gauge, and dimension except is 1" shorter overall, has extra steel in it (weighs more), and has less holes punched out.

Cheers,
Beware of Husqvarna Garden Tractors! (and TS354, TS348, etc).
tango_face_smile.png

Time to update this build as promised, the highlights;

This build's clock as of 27NOV2019.

00066.JPG

2 Tuff Torq K66 oil changes, the first done during this build, the last one is covered in "7-Stages, Complete K66 Oil-Change Guide GT/TS" done at 190 hrs.

Picked up a Brinly-Hardy Box Blade, did some small modifications to it,

02491.JPG

02553.JPG

Ordered a Johnny Power Sleeve,

02723.JPG

Added HD Roller Bearings to the front wheel hubs, covered in "Heavy Duty Bearing Conversion for 3/4 Axles".

HD Bearing.JPG

Turned the mower deck into an actual quick disconnect deck, covered in "You don't need a welder for this Modification".

Deck Mod.JPG

The Johnny Power Sleeve was in the way of my weight bracket, so.... I made my own that won't require the removal of the actuator to use weights,

00054.JPG

00052.JPG

How the hood hinges have always been flimsy, livable, but flimsy. The Johnny Bucket front support brackets get in the way of the hood being fully opened. This made it necessary to remove the hood fully every time I needed to open it. I decided to fix this too,

00047.JPG

00048.JPG

It's a convenience to be able to open the hood to access underneath without having to remove it.

The extra steel plate is 3/8". I payed $7.00 (I will buy plate when it's available like this way in advance, just to valuable) for a clean recycled piece of steel plate that was 3/8" X 8" X 48" and with some 1/4" angle I've had, reinforced the nose to a total of 3/4", and enclosed the front nose support for support on all 4 sides, going back to the front of the front axle support plates.

When installing the extra support plate in the front, I had many fittings to make sure the muffler had proper clearance and noticed that the bottom metal exhaust director and spark arrestor piece that is bolted to the muffler was missing 1 of 6 total sheet metal screws. I removed it, cut some gasket material to fit and used high heat copper gasket spray with 6 more additional screws to bolt it back together and give proper support in the corners.

After adding the new plating, I was able to bring the JBJR into a complete solid alignment that gave the actuators more support, giving me more lift and work out of them reliably. Thomson only allows for in their specs on these actuators .010" of side deflection. In order to get this aligned to spec, it calls for the removal of as much play in the front nose as possible.

This bucket can now make ground cuts with precision, I've already made one for a retaining wall.

This is a working GT.

It won't visit a car salon (the detailers) for a coat of wax and Armour All, It will refuse to be parked on carpet, and if someone baby talks to it, I'm quite sure it will put them in the ground. It is put to the challenges of it's larger cousin's regularly, and has a reputation to uphold.

Here it is after moving 22 cubic yards of fill, finished packing it, and grading it while in a very light rain most of the time. Sand fill+water= Heavy! This GT can do it.

00056.JPG

00057.JPG

00058.JPG

00059.JPG

00060.JPG

That is a mean looking machine! And dirty!!!

Love those front tires

Thanks, admittedly I had some fun with the post.

It was one of those days, I was getting a lot accomplished in spite of the weather. I was wet, a bit chilled, the sand was everywhere and before I started that day, the GT was clean. I ran out of light and was forced to be done for the day. A good day.

Thanks, admittedly I had some fun with the post.

It was one of those days, I was getting a lot accomplished in spite of the weather. I was wet, a bit chilled, the sand was everywhere and before I started that day, the GT was clean. I ran out of light and was forced to be done for the day. A good day.
Husqvarna is soon going to start cutting you royalties checks for reviewing their tractor so highly.

:thumbs: ;)

Let the checks come my way!

Realistically....... ish.....

At this point the most it could be, is brand name endorsement such as if "Mobile" wanted to pay me for putting their corporate name on the side too, since, as a reminder for those that haven't been following, this GT has an engineered custom chassis that allows it to do what it does. :)

Back