Well , the 446 Case is broke again.

It’s a fuel problem I’d say Doug, and it’s a b43m Onan 16 hp twin engine.

Gary, I don’t know what’s on it. It never gave any trouble, so I never realy looked at the carb or fuel pump. I’ll look at it some day soon. Sounds like son wants to use his garage and hoist. So maybe Saturday. Or next week before I can look at it again. What pressure of electric pump did you use.
?

Noel

Get mine at NAPA. 1-2 psi with a check valve, a little pricey but have performed well.
I found the 1-2 psi pumps worked the best, I also recommend diosabling the pulse pump, I removed the pulse hose capped off the p;orts on the engine and pump, now all this is if Noel has the Marvel S carb with the built in pump if his engine has the Nikki carb which is an excellent carb it could be clogged filter or the pulse pump malfunctioning

Hope you get it figured out Noel, that was to be my next guess to the problem, the fuel pump. I couldn't remember if this tractor had a fuel pump!

DAC

Hopefully look at it tomorrow Doug, depending on what son is doing. He want to get his mustang out of storage and put it in the garage where the two garden tractors were all winter. He wants to do a few things to it. So, we will see what happens.

Noel

Hi Noel just looked at the data I have from the Case 446 I had the Onan B43m will have a Nikki carb so I'd first check that the gas hose to the tank isn't clogged I'd remove it from the pulse pump, pump is mounted on the upper right forward side of the firewall and blow air threw it I think there is a screen in the tank it maybe plugged, if I remember right its easy to kinck the hose coming out of the tank but since you haven't messed with the hose that should not be the problem, you can check the pump by disconnecting the out hose and cranking the engine if the hose from the tank is good and the pump is working it will shot gas out(I'd remove the hose from the carb) or add a piece of hose so it does pump gas all over

This is what it has for a carb.

Noel

Attachments

• E8708CAC-C089-4AF6-A818-3B00ADE6C4E9.jpeg
    E8708CAC-C089-4AF6-A818-3B00ADE6C4E9.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 8
The block on right side of carb is the pulse fuel pump. You can add an electric pump and leave pulse pump in place. The fuel will go right through the old pulse pump. But often the old pump will be full of crap, so clean it while cleaning carb.

Would you have to take out the little Reed valves, in the pump, to open it up so fuel will run through it Daniel. ?

Noel

Oh my was I wrong but that is the dreaded MS carb, as posted I'd add an electic pump 1-3 PSI, removed the pulse hose on the built in carb, these carbs have several problems one being thayt pump is very weak they could not handle an inline fuel filter but rather depended on an in tank screen, the carbs originally had a foam float that over time would swell and contact the sides of the float bowl cause it to stick

So took hose off pump and blew back thru into the tank. Took a bit, but I could finally blow back thru. Looks like a stone type filter in the tank by looking in with a flash light. Put the hose back on pump and she started and ran good. But the second time we tryed it it acted up again. But with the choke on a bit it ran good. Took it out and finally was able to blow some snow and it kept running. And no other break downs. Thrower worked good. Had about 1/2 hour or so of fun. But needs tanks cleaned hose cleaned carb clean I’d say. Because it will only get worse.

Noel

So, today. Started it, fired right up and idled good, but seemed to be hunting at full throttle. Was looking at the carb. Had fuel pump and top of carb off. No dirt to speak of. Blew out idle circuit and looked at what ever. Put it back together. Installed a gas filter. Started up after getting fuel. Ran the same as it did when I first started before taking things apart. Idled good but still hunting at full throttle. So tryed adjusting the high speed screw. I must have went in to far and starved it of fuel. Bang out the exhaust and quit. Ok so turn screw back out ! Tryed again to start. Turn over, no go. Tried a few things. No start. Power to coil, but no spark at wire to plug. Screw driver in plug wire and hold close to the plug trick and no spark. And no start. Broke again. :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder why I try to fix things, was working great until I moved the gas line a 1/4” one day a couple of weeks ago. Nothin but trouble since.o_O

Noel

Makes me wonder why I try to fix things, was working great until I moved the gas line a 1/4” one day a couple of weeks ago. Nothin but trouble since.o_O

Noel
[/QUOTE]
When I do that the first thing that goes through my mind is “it was working fine, why did I mess with it?” I’m slowly learning to leave well enough alone.

Old equipment comes with old problems. I finally figured that out about 3 years ago and got rid of a lot of headaches.
You'll get it fixed and you'll have to determine if it's worth keeping around.

Hi Noel does the engine have the 2 in 1 coil? They do fail more than a single coil, also have you checked is the 12 V going to the coil? Maybe a switch or wire problem

Back