Well , the 446 Case is broke again.

Propane1

Tractorologist
My son had it out this afternoon and off comes the belt for the snowthrower again.! Three separate times now. Thought we had it fixed, the first repair, then the second repair, but I guess not. Any way. That’s the way it is. Son says, sell all the garden tractors and buy a compact tractor with heated cab. Hehe.

He had the 1951 Ferguson and pull behind V snowblower out today too. Worked great he said.

Noel.

Yea it gets disgusting when somethings just don't want to work right, anyway a spring isn't to serious and easy enough to install, I read a post on one of the Case forums that when the proper belt was used and the spring installed the right tension would be if you can slip a dime between the coils works for me

Hi Noel have you tried it since you put the spring back in place? Have you guys been getting any snow, we have had a few 1-2-3 in dry fluffy snows was out with the PK and snowcaster yesterday afternoon it was fun about 3" of fluff a sunny clear sky day about 28*F just blowing snow then when I was just about done I ren the blower into an angle iron that was buried in the snow next to my fuel barrel was not happy. Drove back to shop got off the tractor to check for damage found notheing looked and discovered the belt was gone looked further and could see it up inside the grill and it was not broken so this morning I got it back on and did a quick test and all seems good

No Gary I have not got to try it. We had a few small snows, but it was either to cold out or my son had stuff in the garage so couldn’t get it out.

That’s good that you didn’t have any damage. Did the spring come off too. ? Nasty when ya run into something, on your on place. Normally the angle iron wins. Hehe.

Put my new front tires on the nicely painted wheels, now nicely all scratched from putting the tires on. I’ll never do that again. Those 4 ply 8” tires are a nightmare to put on. And get the tubes into. Need about a thousand arms. !!!!!! Tire shop the next time. And if I ever, and hopefully I never do, paint wheels again, it will be with a brush after the tire is mounted. Just takes all the so called fun out of the hobby. For a few minutes I was feeling like GLgrumpy today. Time to get out of the hobbie !

There now, rant over.
Have a good day Gary.

Noel

Attachments

• 86F7F571-71FB-4BE1-A29D-65DE134CEEB0.jpeg
    86F7F571-71FB-4BE1-A29D-65DE134CEEB0.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 7
  • C2ACA323-E36A-4E95-869B-DACFE114054F.jpeg
    C2ACA323-E36A-4E95-869B-DACFE114054F.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 501D6AFE-8F3B-4DF5-B74B-6EF810EF8B01.jpeg
    501D6AFE-8F3B-4DF5-B74B-6EF810EF8B01.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 8CF84C2E-9E4D-4BA2-B836-A4060AB61EBB.jpeg
    8CF84C2E-9E4D-4BA2-B836-A4060AB61EBB.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 9
  • FCF8B2E9-3E58-4663-9EF8-58FC04B044D9.jpeg
    FCF8B2E9-3E58-4663-9EF8-58FC04B044D9.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 7ECB2350-1113-40DE-ABC6-F312EAB1F6A8.jpeg
    7ECB2350-1113-40DE-ABC6-F312EAB1F6A8.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 9
They look nice Noel I find 8" not to bad 6" hard 4" forget I can't get them anymore, I have a Harbor Freight small wheel tire changer it works pretty good, but more and more I end up going to the tire shop now

Last edited:
Wheels look fine, Noel! Just touch up the edges now! Don't look like the insides are scratched up at all. The fresh tires might pop off the bead easy still so that would make the touch up easier yet, then just air them back up.

DAC

No Gary I have not got to try it. We had a few small snows, but it was either to cold out or my son had stuff in the garage so couldn’t get it out.

That’s good that you didn’t have any damage. Did the spring come off too. ? Nasty when ya run into something, on your on place. Normally the angle iron wins. Hehe.

Put my new front tires on the nicely painted wheels, now nicely all scratched from putting the tires on. I’ll never do that again. Those 4 ply 8” tires are a nightmare to put on. And get the tubes into. Need about a thousand arms. !!!!!! Tire shop the next time. And if I ever, and hopefully I never do, paint wheels again, it will be with a brush after the tire is mounted. Just takes all the so called fun out of the hobby. For a few minutes I was feeling like GLgrumpy today. Time to get out of the hobbie !

There now, rant over.
Have a good day Gary.

Noel
I wait to paint the outside of the wheels until the tires are on.

Well I spent 45 minutes touching them up with a painters brush. They look ok. I’m not gunna pop the tires off Doug because they were miserable to get the tube to stay inside the tire while putting air in. And as soon as air was put in, the stems of the tube tryed to pull back inside, because the stem was in the middle of the tube, not offset to match the wheel. So I had troubles keeping them out. If they had of pulled in, that would mean taking 1/2 the tire off to get the stem back in. Ain’t gunna happen.

So when and if I get to put the rear tires on,,,,,, my son works at a Ford dealership and they have a tire machine. So I’ll get him to put the tires on. The new tires are 6 ply, I’m not fighting with them to get them on, once on, then I’ll paint the wheels with a brush.

Noel

Last edited:
I am not looking forward to changing 8 tires & tubes on the recently acquired rake, based on this thread! :oops:
Never changed these sort of small tires, and it doesn't sound like fun! :(

Thanks for the 'warning'.

Well it seems pig, that the smaller the diameter of the tires, the harder it is. Extra set of hands will help a lot, thick mix of dish soap and water in a spray bottle, and a way to secure the wheel. That will help.

Best way, take them to a tire shop !

Noel

Back