Whats hidden in the Blackberries?

We would really like to restore it. My brother made some repair parts for the shaker pans years ago and we can fab up anything else we need so it gets down to time , money, and a place to put it while its worked on. The combine engine would be used on a tractor until we get the original rebuilt.
That will be an adventure in itself, much less getting it uncovered again!

Do you think the blackberry brush preserved it, or caused it to deteriorate faster? Kind of looks like it may have protected the old maching somewhat!
Pretty cool adventure!

DAC

I don't think it does it any good being in the blackberries. It tend to keep moisture in and all the dead material stacks up on the surfaces and makes for a wet carpet of crud.

Pulled the engine off the combine and hauled it to the shop in the back of the Gator. After blowing all of the crud off it I started checking it over to see what needs to be fixed. It felt kinda low on compression so I pulled the plugs and the valve/lifter cover. Three of the valves were sticking open, but with a little tap on them thru the spark plug hole and they snapped shut. I shot some oil on the stems and worked them a few time and they are all working now. Next I checked for spark and got zip. I figured the points needed to be cleaned up so after failing to get the screws out of the point cover I pulled the mag out where I could get at it. Sure enough I touched up the points and got good spark so I reinstalled the mag. Now I need to check the carb which shouldn't be too bad since the fuel was drained.

100_2186 (Medium).JPG100_2187 (Medium).JPG100_2190 (Medium).JPG100_2191 (Medium).JPG100_2197 (Medium).JPG100_2198 (Medium).JPG100_2199 (Medium).JPG

Put a starter on it today and cranked it over several times and suddenly it locked up. I pulled the starter to see if that was is but it wasn't. I put a pry bar on the ring gear and it backed up and turned 180* and locked again. I figured I should pull the head and look to see if something got in one of the cylinders. All I found were carbon chucks mainly on #3 cylinder and the engine rotated freely without the head on. Must have loosened it up while cranking. I'll get the carbon cleaned up and get the head bolted back on. I suppose this would be a good time to make sure the valves are working and sealing properly.

100_2200 (Medium).JPG100_2201 (Medium).JPG100_2202 (Medium).JPG100_2203 (Medium).JPG100_2204 (Medium).JPG

Back