Whats hidden in the Blackberries?

What's the HP rating of this engine? Would make for a good garden tractor power plant in a "retro" home brew tractor.
The early ones were 9.25hp at 1600 rpm and slowly worked there way up to 18hp in the very last of them in the 184 & 185 LoBoys. I always thought they'd make a good repower for a custom gt build too

That engine sounds great! The gas tank was still clean too? Looks like you have it hooked up!

DAC

That engine sounds great! The gas tank was still clean too? Looks like you have it hooked up!

DAC

The tank has some rust in the bottom so I had an auxiliary tank clamped to it. You can just barely see the tank at the top of the video held by the vice grips.

Did a compression check today. They were 20, 45,40, and 60. After shooting oil in the cylinders they were 100, 80, 85, and 90. Its still tough to start and I think the low compression is the problem. I think it could use a re-ring and touch up the valves.

Might be stuck rings. Soak the cylinders with some MMO, put a little in the oil. May loosen things up for you!

How many years has it been sitting? Some times the heat/cool cycles from running will pop rings back out!

Today I pulled the Some pieces off the power unit so I could mount it up on an engine stand and used the Yanmar to pick it up. The plan is to re-ring it and check the rod and main bearings. We will see if there is anything else needed when it gets opened up.

100_2838 (Medium).JPG100_2846 (Medium).JPG100_2847 (Medium).JPG100_2848 (Medium).JPG

Today I pulled the Some pieces off the power unit so I could mount it up on an engine stand and used the Yanmar to pick it up. The plan is to re-ring it and check the rod and main bearings. We will see if there is anything else needed when it gets opened up.

View attachment 24108View attachment 24109View attachment 24110View attachment 24111
Good you're giving it the love it needs.
Video.soinded sweet, amazing it ran at all on 25psi.

Did any of the rings ever loosen up?

Drained the oil, rolled the engine over, and pulled the pan. It looks pretty clean inside. Then pulled all of the piston/rod assy's. All had stuck top rings, 2 had both compression rings stuck, and 1 had compression and oil rings stuck. Got the micrometer out and the rod journals measure right on the money, no wear.

100_2849 (Medium).JPG100_2850 (Medium).JPG100_2853 (Medium).JPG100_2854 (Medium).JPG

Had to break 3 rings to get them off the pistons, but they are off. Then went on to ring grove cleaning. This is one of Dads tools from his mechanic days. It cleans the rust and crud right out. I found some standard rod bearings in our stack of cub parts along with a couple full gasket sets. I'll get some new rings and a ball hone ordered this week. Hope to be able to put this back together by next weekend.

100_2855 (Medium).JPG100_2856 (Medium).JPG100_2857 (Medium).JPG100_2859 (Medium).JPG100_2860 (Medium).JPG100_2861 (Medium).JPG100_2862 (Medium).JPG

Back