Winter project

jdcrawler

Tractorologist
When we moved down to Madison, Indiana, I hadn't planned on building any more tractors and I have actually sold some of my tractors since we moved here.
However .. under the circumstances .. I'm glad that this tractor became available to me now because it gives me an interesting and challenging project to work on and it helps take my mind off other things.

.......................................................................................................................................................................

So ... for those of you that may have missed my previous post looking for information .. I'll start here at the beginning.
This is what is left of a small tractor that I picked up at the last show I was at.

I had no idea of what it was when I got it and I have since learned that it was originally a Centaur, 2-wheel, walk-behind garden tractor that was built from 1923 thru 1925.
This is how the design of the tractor looked from the factory.

Some one had converted it into a riding tractor a long time ago and I'm going to rebuild it as a riding tractor.
My son gave me this 9HP Briggs & Stratton engine that was built in 1957 and I'm going to use it to power this tractor.

The input shaft on the transmission is in the front and it had a clutch between the engine and the transmission.

I want to put the Briggs engine inline like the original engine was and I need to make a clutch system for it so I picked up this flywheel and clutch parts off a Farmall Cub to put on the Briggs engine.

I'm using a piece of 3" diameter steel to make the flywheel adapter out of.
This is chucked up in my lathe and both ends have been squared off.

Then I bored it out to fit on the Briggs crankshaft.

It fits snugly onto the crankshaft.

And it also fits snugly into the back of the flywheel.
The Briggs engine has a starter/generator on it already so I removed the starter ring gear from the flywheel.

The crankshaft sticking out the back of this engine does not have a keyway in it so I need to come up with a good way to lock this flywheel adapter so it won't spin on the crankshaft.

I have four 3/8-24 setscrews that have a pin boss machined on the end of them and three regular setscrews and I'm going to use them to lock the flywheel onto the crankshaft.

First I drill and tap three holes on the end of the adapter that goes toward the engine.

Then I turn the adapter around and drill four holes that are .002 larger then the diameter of the pin boss on the set screws.

The adapter is slid onto the crankshaft and tightened down with the three setscrews.
Then the four locating holes are drilled into the crankshaft.
I'm using spacers on the drill so all of the holes are drilled to the same depth.

The pin boss on the ends of the setscrews will set down into these holes and keep the adapter from rotating on the crankshaft.
When I tighten the seven set screws in the adapter down onto the crankshaft, I will then screw another set screw down on top of those first setscrews to lock them in place.

The adapter is set back up in the drill press and the four holes are then drilled out and tapped.

Always ready for new ideas ... what do you have in mind ?

A steam pile driver . . . The one I am posting is installed at the Rock River Thresheree in Edgerton, Wisconsin. The display board said that these were installed on RR flatbeds and barges to build bridges and docks. This one originally had wooden guides and was shortened from 80' to 40'.

Yep me too. This should be interesting to watch.
Do you think it ever reached completion back in the day?

Yes I do.
It definitely had an engine mounted on it because the frame rails are cut out for clearance for a bell housing and the bracket is still there for the throw out bearing.
There is also old grease caked on the frame from oil leakage from a running engine.

A steam pile driver . . . The one I am posting is installed at the Rock River Thresheree in Edgerton, Wisconsin. The display board said that these were installed on RR flatbeds and barges to build bridges and docks. This one originally had wooden guides and was shortened from 80' to 40'.

That is an interesting piece of old railroad equipment ... thanks for the video.

Not nearly the quality of JDs work, but I refurbed one of ours at work.

Attachments

• 321FF0D0-F88D-4AA8-8048-EEDBECEF26B1.jpeg
    321FF0D0-F88D-4AA8-8048-EEDBECEF26B1.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 13
  • AACA96E4-80B3-47AB-B74C-15E05025B855.jpeg
    AACA96E4-80B3-47AB-B74C-15E05025B855.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 08D3AA5B-3BEA-4FAF-AF36-5569445A1287.jpeg
    08D3AA5B-3BEA-4FAF-AF36-5569445A1287.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 12
Going to be another interesting build from you, Ray! Your machinist skills are amazing! I would dig finding something like this 2 wheeler converted to 4 tractor for a 1957 Wisconsin TF engine I have, except I would need rubber tires! Those iron wheelers would kick my butt!

DAC

With the flywheel sitting on the adapter, I use a center punch to mark the location of the dowel pin.

This hole is then drilled out and finished to size with a reamer.

Then the dowel pin is pressed into it.

With the dowel pin installed, the four bolt holes can then be center punched.

Then those holes are drilled out and tapped for the mounting bolts.

The only thing left to finish this part of the project is to make a pilot bearing.
Here I have turned down a piece of brass to fit into the hole in the end of the adapter.

The brass is cut to length and then I turn it around and face off the end.
Then the hole is drilled in the center and finished to size with a reamer.

The pilot bearing is then pressed into the end of the adapter.

The flywheel is finally bolted onto the adapter.

The transmission shaft is set in place to line up the clutch disk and the pressure plate is bolted down to the flywheel.

The finished flywheel is slid onto the end of the crankshaft and all of the setscrews are tightened down.

This flywheel felt kind of heavy as I was working with it and I thought about putting it on my son's bigger lathe and turning the back side of it down to lighten it up some.
I set the flywheel on my digital weight scale and was surprised to see that it only weighs 20 pounds.

...... 20 pounds didn't use to feel this heavy when I was younger ...... anyway .. with it only weighing 20 pounds, I don't feel that I need to cut it down any.

It is now time to start taking the tractor apart.
This has been sitting outside for longer then some of you have been alive and it is all rusted up tight.

Now I know that there have been a lot of discussions on the best way to loosen up rusted bolts an such by using all sorts of penetrating oils and even electrolysis.
By far though, my favorite way to loosen rusted bolts is with a ' hot wrench '.
Granted, a hot wrench may not always be available and it can even be dangerous to use it in some areas .... but if you can use it, then it is much more effective in loosing up rusted parts then anything else that I have tried.

From left to right .. here are the necessary tools to disassemble this tractor:
My hot wrench ( a acetylene torch ).
A special tool for removing the ball & socket type tie-rod ends.
Punches for removing cotter pins and drift pins.
A brass punch for putting pressure on things without damaging them.
An adjustable crescent wrench because these old square nuts and bolts aren't always a standard size.
A vice-grip to hold a nut or bolt that is rounded off or rusted really bad.
Pliers to pick up the hot items.
Regular hammer to persuade the stubborn items to move.
A bigger hammer to persuade the really stubborn ones.

Heating the rusted end up on one of the tie-rod ends.

And using the special tool to unscrew the end cap.

I had to cut the mounting brackets off with the torch to get the front axle off.
Here I'm using the brass punch to force the axle out of the wheel.

Whoever built this tractor has rotated the rear axle 90 degrees from the way it was original mounted.
By doing this, the cup on the grease fitting can't be removed because it is sitting right under the transmission.

After about two hours of work today, I have managed to remove these parts from the tractor.

Only the rear axle is left to remove from the frame.

Once I get it off, then I'll need to work on getting this differential with its open spider and ring gears apart.

Back