Yazoo PTO-B Mower

Steve is recovering well. He'll be in there possibly through the weekend. His small intestine was blocked right at the appendix. Had to take a small amount out. Not sure yet whether it is a tumor or what. No food or water for a few days until his bowels start working again. But he can suck on hard candy!

I put a different coil on it. I also had to wire in the solenoid and switch so the starter would work. The first spark was rather weak looking, but it fired right up when I got fuel in the carb. No leaks showing there as yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad It's Running And Moving At last.

Junk in the gas or shellac in the carb ?

If shellac, Might let it run with some acetone in it to help clean it up?

I took the carb off and cleaned it with carb cleaner. It does fine until I go to engage the deck, then falls on it's nose!

Best check the timing.  Amazing what troubles that can cause.

i think that's done with points gap on this one?

I have the points set at .018". Think that could be an issue?

What's the manual say?

I would try 15, then 20 and see

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the carb off and cleaned it with carb cleaner. It does fine until I go to engage the deck, then falls on it's nose!

I'd double check to make sure all the crap/bad gas is out of it and that all the small passage ways in the carb are clean first.

I think you got the points set close enough. from what I know.

If timing is retarted it will have less power and run hot.

If too far advanced it's harder to start / kick back,  will have more power, BUT will knock or ping under heavy load, not good.

I'd double check to make sure all the crap/bad gas is out of it and that all the small passage ways in the carb are clean first.

I think you got the points set close enough. from what I know.

If timing is retarted it will have less power and run hot.

If too far advanced it's harder to start / kick back,  will have more power, BUT will knock or ping under heavy load, not good.

The carb and tank were removed and cleaned very thoroughly. But the carb is now showing a flooding condition and the soft plug is very loose!

Loose soft plug would allow air.

Could really mess up mixture

I have jb welded them in before.  Hate to, but sometimes, ya gotta

Fired it up a while ago and it is running much smoother with that soft plug glued in place. I also made a new catch for the raise/lower handle. Got Rust reformer on it right now or I'd have a pic.

To save some of my sanity with all that is going on, I played with the Yazoo some more. Sealing the soft plug did wonders. Runs much smother, but is still searching a bit. Had an issue with the deck not setting on the ground properly and looked things over. Seems the driveshaft was bottomed out holding the deck at an angle. So I lengthened the tie rods. That gave an issue with the front not coming down. HMMMMMMM? A bit of thinking and I swapped the mounting for the lift and helper springs. That fixed that. The driveshaft has about a half inch before closing solid. Here's some pics.

Tie rod extension.

DSCN2034.JPG

Here's the swap.

DSCN2033.JPG

The driveshaft clearance.

DSCN2035.JPG

And some of what I mowed with it. First pic doesn't show much. Second is where I made 3 rounds for & aft.

DSCN2036.JPGDSCN2037.JPG

Back