1947 Farmall Cub

I'm going to try out the disc plow this weekend if it don't rain no more to clean out my drainage ditch in the garden

The guy point out what wrong with my lift. The old one was chopped and added too late so I went in the pile of parts and founded a better one.

Attachments

• IMG_20190130_164938740.jpg
    IMG_20190130_164938740.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20190130_164928150.jpg
    IMG_20190130_164928150.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 13
Might not get to disc the garden before putting the tractor down for repairs. The hydraulic leak got worse and is pouring the fluid out now.

When you're going through the touch control block pay close attention to the pressure regulator valve piston. I believe wear/damage to mine caused the valve to stick open thus no hydraulics. Mine is an early block, and they did change it later.

The stem on the piston pushes a ball in what they call the check valve. Later blocks used a plunger instead of the ball. On mine the ball wore the end of the stem:
1.jpg
2.jpg

That wear was causing the piston to **** (<- that is another word for a male bird, apparently unacceptable here) in the bore, it had wear on one side at the front and the opposite side behind the o-ring:
3.jpg

I suspect maybe it also picked up a piece of grit and stuck in the open position, although I believe it was closed on disassembly. Perhaps it got shook loose in handling.

I repaired by putting a spot of weld on the end and squaring everything up. I also added a healthy divot to the end to try and keep the stem centered on the ball.

Unfortunately it's not back on the tractor yet so I cannot give you a final status.

I need new ramps. I got one I just need to make a second one for it. Anyways I got the cub loaded to taken to Temple tomorrow so it can be fixed.

Attachments

• 53665481_2247460175310974_7097469435581038592_n.jpg
    53665481_2247460175310974_7097469435581038592_n.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 6
Very nice Farmall Cub haul. You will fall in love with the belly disc plow, as have I. I leave the disc plow on my cub year round, even when I put the front snow blade on, as there is zero interference, and all you have to do is hang the plow off the torque tube with a chain holding bracket. By the way, the video on post 15 of this thread was taken at the FCVAEC plow day the first year I had my disc plow. If you need setup advise let me know, as there is a special lift clevis for the plow.

Very nice Farmall Cub haul. You will fall in love with the belly disc plow, as have I. I leave the disc plow on my cub year round, even when I put the front snow blade on, as there is zero interference, and all you have to do is hang the plow off the torque tube with a chain holding bracket. By the way, the video on post 15 of this thread was taken at the FCVAEC plow day the first year I had my disc plow. If you need setup advise let me know, as there is a special lift clevis for the plow.
I do love the belly disc plow it turns hard ground like butter.

I do love the belly disc plow it turns hard ground like butter.
Ya, I absolutely fell in love with the belly disc plow. At the plow day events some people hate to follow me because of the bowl furrow it makes, some because I dig deep with it. There are others that enjoy following my furrows because I actually leave a decent furrow.

On another note, being belly mounted, if you have a fenced in garden large enough you can plow most of it with the cub and disc without taking down fence. Oh, and at the end of a long day plowing your neck isnt sore from looking behind you!

Was a quart low in oil so either the front seal is starting leak worse or maybe where my dad didn't have the dipstick all the way one there. I did a oil change since it was low.

Starting to see a lot smoke out of the dipstick area when running. The oil pressure is great on it.

Starting to see a lot smoke out of the dipstick area when running.
There should be a crankcase breather on that engine someplace. The oil filler cap, valve cover or breather tube. Make sure it's clean and and functioning properly.

Back