1969 Ford Falcon Futura wagon

The rear axle bearings were sounding terrible, so tonight I removed the right rear axle..... man, was that bearing shot!!!! Working on the left rear, there is one nut on the wheel spacer that doesn’t want to come off like the others..... looks like I will need to get an impact wrench to get it loose.
33E1EAD0-92FF-4193-A739-74506531B5A6.jpeg30C2C3AD-DC2B-4BA7-A796-CDBF1E545A5A.jpeg

Got the left axle shaft out today. That one nut finally loosened with a breaker bar and a hammer to tunk it while putting pressure on it. What a booger that one was. Went to the parts store and got a set of 4 lug nuts.... one to replace the rounded one. (I really need to get an impact gun.)
Also rented a slide hammer and an axle seal remover to get the grease seals out.

Ordered my bearings and seals from Green Sales Company, a Ford parts place that I just learned of. Nice folks, original Ford parts, and they will look up the parts info for you! I gave them the year, model, and the axle type (WDW-U1) and they have my parts on the way.

Spent the evening under the car brushing rusty metal primer on the rear axle and the leaf springs. Tomorrow I will paint that stuff black. Also brushed on some undercoat on a lot of the belly. Still a lot left to do.

I want a 1/2 drive cord less impact wrench. Thinking I want the Lowe's Kobalt 40V model. But price wise the Habor Frieght one is the best price. Is on sale latest flyer for less than $100.00.
Gets decent you tube reviews too.

:D Al

The rear axle in this Falcon is a Ford 8”, and it does not have a drain hole..... just a fill hole in the left side of the “pumpkin”. Tonight, I got my little manual pump (I think it is something I picked up that said it was for outboard boat motors) and pumped all I could out of the differential.... maybe a quart?? Ugly-looking stuff....
B506AC5A-5BAD-4EE2-A3D5-FEF86A26D91D.jpeg

Makes me think it would be a good time to drop the drive shaft and remove the front cover of the differential and give it a good cleaning before I add new oil....... I can do that while I am waiting for the bearings and seals to show up.

Looks like some moisture got in that oil over the years. Probably want a new input shaft seal for the pumpkin also. I picked up an Earthquake air impact at a pawn shop for $60. If the 18V dewalt won't do the job I grab it. Has 2 or 3 torque settings. Good gun. Have an old 120V AC impact gun I haven't used in many years - needs a new cord. Another project.

Big job done! Now I just have to wait for axle bearings and seals to arrive this week, then have them pressed on. Will have this back together in short order. Everything inside the differential looked good! I took the time to clean up the differential.... Wire brushed with a drill motor and wheel, brushed on some rusty-metal primer, then sprayed it flat black. New gasket, gasket sealer, puckered up and reinstalled. Added new 80w-90 oil3A1AE3C8-2524-403A-A19F-46E1526BA95D.jpeg8253200F-B205-4D5C-8352-4B41A8310B20.jpeg82C0BDDC-C21E-4125-92FD-2DCF825ADD91.jpeg. Now, a little rest before I start cleaning up tools, etc.

LOVE IT!!!!
Much better looking that the crap built today.

When I saw it listed on CL, my first thought was, “You sure don’t see those every day!”........ then I started the task of convincing my wife why we “needed” it. The best argument I could come up with: “We drive older vehicles.... 1981 Ford Bronco.... 1995 Ford F-250 PowerStroke..... we need a 3rd vehicle so that if one breaks, I won’t be so under the gun to get it fixed.” (Now, here’s where I play to her “cheap” tendencies....) “If I don’t have to fix one so fast, that means I can order parts online, cheaper!” :thumbs::cool:

You DID notice the picture of it sitting in our garage, right??

Gonna get the windows tinted, along with a tint strip at the top of the windshield...... all of that will look cool... :cool:

Some day, maybe some Cragar classic 5-spoke chrome wheels???

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Gonna get the windows tinted, along with a tint strip at the top of the windshield...... all of that will look cool... :cool:

Some day, maybe some Cragar classic 5-spoke chrome wheels???[/QUOTE]

Now your starting to ruin it. Keep it as original as possibly and your will have nice vintage ride.

Back