1969 Ford Falcon Futura wagon

A friend of mine did the work. Here are a few of the vehicles in the building.....

Attachments

• FFC4B0CF-1963-4464-B97D-7A133BF9B02C.jpeg
    FFC4B0CF-1963-4464-B97D-7A133BF9B02C.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 4328FA3D-EDDB-4DD5-8A43-563705B2FCD5.jpeg
    4328FA3D-EDDB-4DD5-8A43-563705B2FCD5.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 88B3F43A-120B-4069-9BE7-5987D8C83677.jpeg
    88B3F43A-120B-4069-9BE7-5987D8C83677.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 11
Nice Falcon & a good thread to follow. I always was a fan of station wagons. In my younger days they were always used as tow cars for the racers on open trailers. I agree about the large wheel & small tire combo especially on trucks. Imo your friends red caddy in the pic is an example of a bad tire & wheel choice for a classic.

Nice Falcon & a good thread to follow. I always was a fan of station wagons. In my younger days they were always used as tow cars for the racers on open trailers. I agree about the large wheel & small tire combo especially on trucks. Imo your friends red caddy in the pic is an example of a bad tire & wheel choice for a classic.

Razorback has a cool ride going here for sure. Been fun following his thread so far.

I agree with that wheel combo being a bad choice too Jim! Some of the younger guys I know have a saying-"Big wheels means big brakes". Well 99.9% of the big wheels I see has mostly air visible through the spokes. A thousand dollar wheel with a little bitty drum brake behind it! The cost of the wheels total out the car's value---LOL! Even late model vehicles can be rediculous. There's a guy that lives behind us that has a mid-20 teens Escalade that probably has at least 22" wheels with spokes like a wagon wheel. Cant even tell there's a tire on the rim. Lot's of daylight through the spokes and lots of distraction from the actual vehicle.

DAC

The wiper motor on this thing would quit occasionally. A little tunk or twist on the motor case would wake it up for a bit, but it wasn’t reliable. The other day I had some time to look at it (it had been raining and it quit while I was driving.... o_O)
The problem was a bad ground to the body of the car. Basically cleaned some metal washers that were at the rubber mounts for the 3 little bolts that fastened it to the firewall. Works like a champ now!

I get a LOT of “thumbs-up”, smiles, and even saw a younger guy that was inside a bay of a Valvoline quick-lube place taking a picture of the car as I was stopped at a light earlier today. Another guy was amazed at the condition of the car, amazed that it was even still around, and marveled that the electric rear window still worked. We commented that we both wondered how many of today’s vehicles will have anything still working in 50 years! :thumbs:

Spent part of today changing the AOD transmission fluid and filter. Glad to know that's been done! The shift from 1st to 2nd is still really strong unless you mash the pedal to the floor, which I don't like doing all the time. I have a transmission shop down the street that I want to take it to and see what they can tell me. I am not a transmission guy, but I am wondering if it's a valve body that is made for more of a high-performance setup? I don't like it...... at least for every-day driving.

This thing is a real hoot to drive and has become my daily driver. Does great even on the coldest days. Eventually want to replace all of the seals on the doors....... still want to replace the wheels and the rear tires (rears are oversized). Other than that, it's doing great!

I bought new door rubbers for our LeSabre from a place on the internet. I had ordered a set thru the local Auto Zone but when I got home I did some research on them and found out they were for a 4 door not a 2 door so called and cancled the order. guy on the phone told me about the place on the internet that had to ones for a 2 door.

They are OK but not as soft as thre orginals. All the nails and 90degree bends
were in the right places too.

:D Al

I went over to friends house to see this '67 Mustang fresh out of 45 years storage. It will be freshened up but solid car. Really had the wheels driven off it in the few years it was on the road

One of the projects I want to do on this Falcon is to install a 3-row aluminum radiator, and eventually add a Flex-a-Lite thermostatically controlled fan, as I have done in our 1981 Bronco.

I knew that the existing radiator that is in the Falcon is not the originally-installed size, which was about 21” square..... it is 20” tall and 30” wide overall.

I spent the last day or so trying to track down a new radiator that fit those dimensions, had fittings for transmission lines, and had inlet and outlet in the correct location.

Finally found this:
Holly Frostbite FB169
fb169_01_v21829.jpg

This is the fan I want to install. Might wait on this until I convert the alternator from 2G to 3G for more output.
Flex-a-Lite 180

180_6.jpg

Last edited:
Ran a large 3 core radiator in my 1963 Ford pickup with what I was told was a 257 engine built for a van. The engine had no fan on the water pump and required a stand off fan which i didn't have. I drove that truck in to Seattle to work in a shipyard. No fan, rush hour traffic, some times stopped in the middle of the freeway due to traffic, Never had a problem with heat. With a good 3 core radiator the fan may seldom come on unless you are using air conditioning. Don

Back