And more junk.

If you are like me you will enjoy retirement. Do something when you feel like iy and do nothing too. I was unemployed when I was 50 and it was no fun and I was going to be unemployed when I hit 62 so went in and told them "I quit".

I have the time but no funds to come out to the party.

If I remember right, Aaron, your Dad is younger than me? I can't blame him for wishing he could work again when he couldn't retire on his own terms. What did your Dad do for a living if I might ask? Sounds like you have a great plan for your own retirement!

DAC
He turns 63 this year but he had to retire in 2012 due to health, back and neck issues. Fortunately for he was incredibly smart with his money! He had zero debt when he had to stop working.

He worked for a company that repaired mine lighting systems, and sold industrial supplies. He started as a truck driver, then did repairs, then ran the warehouse, and his last 10 years he was inside sales. He started there in 1984 3 months after I was born.

I have a solid plan but way too much of it depends on way too much that is out of my control! My 401k hasn’t been doing very well. I’ve put 10% to 15% of my pay check into it since 2003 with a dollar for dollar match from my employer up to 10%. It’s up and down. I’ve never truly lost money that I put in. But there for awhile it was growing; that growth comes and goes though.

If you are like me you will enjoy retirement. Do something when you feel like iy and do nothing too. I was unemployed when I was 50 and it was no fun and I was going to be unemployed when I hit 62 so went in and told them "I quit".

I have the time but no funds to come out to the party.
Be great to meet you someday, Rad, but western South Dakota is so far away from everyone on this forum! I've never met any of the folks face to face so it isn't like we really know each other. I appreciate the thought very much though! I waited until I am 66 to call it quits. Should have done it sooner.

He turns 63 this year but he had to retire in 2012 due to health, back and neck issues. Fortunately for he was incredibly smart with his money! He had zero debt when he had to stop working.

He worked for a company that repaired mine lighting systems, and sold industrial supplies. He started as a truck driver, then did repairs, then ran the warehouse, and his last 10 years he was inside sales. He started there in 1984 3 months after I was born.

I have a solid plan but way too much of it depends on way too much that is out of my control! My 401k hasn’t been doing very well. I’ve put 10% to 15% of my pay check into it since 2003 with a dollar for dollar match from my employer up to 10%. It’s up and down. I’ve never truly lost money that I put in. But there for awhile it was growing; that growth comes and goes though.
He's 3 years younger. Pretty much opposite here, never made very good money and was never good with handling it---LOL! Main thing is, maybe he can't work, but you said he still mows and does chores, so he should not feel useless! He did his duty by being so responsible and prepared for such a thing as forced retirement, even being so young when it happened to him! You are only 2 years older than our eldest kid and we waited 8 years after marriage to have kids!

Your plan will work out, Aaron, way better than you might think right now. I know the future looks insane but you and yours will be all right!

The plant had a retirement lunch for me today. I didn't know anything about it until an hour before lunch. Everybody always gives me grief because I bring a sandwich to work every day. So the theme was sandwiches---Jimmy John's and Oreo sandwich cookies. They had a cake and ice cream too.
IMG_0883.jpg IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg
That picture printed on the cake was when I was first hired in 2004! Heck of a lot more grey now! the cards from management staff (green) and the work crew (yellow) had cash in them. Much more in the crew card. No I never put the dumb hat on---LOL!

Then after the meal expenses a couple of co-workers said there was 250 bucks left in the "retirement fund" so they told them to go get some stuff for my shop. The parts man was told to get a 75' 3/8" retractable hose reel to replace my 25 year old hand crank one, a set of Knipex pliers and a set of orange dead blow hammers. This is what I ended up with---LOL! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of these great gifts, but this is a running problem with the parts man at work. Very rarely do we get what we actually need! The hammers were the only thing close to what they told him to get. 3 sizes and the color really didn't matter. All the ones at work are orange so that's how they were ordered.
DSCN5151.JPG DSCN5150.JPG DSCN5152.JPG

This is my old hose reel.
DSCN5153.JPG

Guess it really is setting in that I'm darn near done! Definitely looking forward to it! Gonna take off at noon Friday.

Thanks for the support here folks!

DAC

Doug I’ve been involved in mens ministry for many years. Statistics show that a man that’s retiring is one of the biggest transitions in his life. Some take it hard some take it good. I use to suggest if you enjoy your job, your healthy, you haven’t too many things else to do then keep working. There’s nothing worse than retiring like that then go back to work at something you hate.

On the other hand if your excited about retiring, and you have plenty of things to occupy yourself then retire.

I’ve known guys that their jobs were their life some worked to get out of the house or away from their spouse, this is sad.

I’m 68 and retired 8 years ago and it’s one of the best things I’ve done. I still wake up in the middle of the night and realize I don’t have to get up as early as before, if it’s nasty out I don’t go anywhere, I can do what I want today etc.

The only cons I had was at first I had all these projects and so much more time I found myself getting stressed out thinking I had to stay busy all the time. I actually felt I had to be constructive every day. That changed quick. I learned to plan a little, consider the weather for outdoor projects, plan indoor projects when the weather is bad, if I worked hard one day and got really tired I would do nothing the next day. I think you will really enjoy yourself.

Congratulations on your retirement Doug. Your shop is shaping up very nice. I’d be so excited wouldn’t be able to sleep.

jhn9840
John
Definitely excited, but I still get tired enough from the job that sleeping isn't to hard. A little trouble getting to sleep then that's it. I'm down for the count. Thank you, John!
On the other hand if your excited about retiring, and you have plenty of things to occupy yourself then retire.
I fit into this sentence, Jim! I'm not the best at time management, never have been, but I'm going to try to have a loose daily plan. Work on this one day, another the next day, and so forth. Some things, including a truck I'm working on and feel some urgency to make it drivable again might overrule some of that plan. Better ease into it though. May not have many DND's as you call them until Loree retires or has time off though!

DAC

Some things, including a truck I'm working on and feel some urgency to make it drivable again might overrule some of that plan.
This is where I'm at right now with June Bug and it was starting to get to me. The other day I realized that if I let things just flow at their own pace instead of pushing, things seem to go a lot smoother with this car project.

This is where I'm at right now with June Bug and it was starting to get to me. The other day I realized that if I let things just flow at their own pace instead of pushing, things seem to go a lot smoother with this car project.
I understand completely, Chris! I haven't driven the Jimmy since 2005. Way too long. I love that truck and it holds a lot of memories going back to my first drivers license.

6 more hours and I'm free!

DAC

Congratulations Doug on your retirement! I still have a few more years before I retire. I need to make plans to get back to Rapid city area to go sight seeing more and meet up with you.
Thank-you Ted. I would like to meet you some time! Evidently you have been in the area before? Hope your time until retirement go smoothly and your health is still good when you do!

DAC

Thank-you Ted. I would like to meet you some time! Evidently you have been in the area before? Hope your time until retirement go smoothly and your health is still good when you do!

DAC
Myself and daughter spent a day around Rapid city a few years ago on our way out west. I had been through on the interstate but that was the first time in the black hills

Been offline for a couple of days. No, I wasn't hung over for two days---LOL! I left work at 11:55 Friday. Hung this on my locker after I cleaned it out.
IMG_0884.jpg

Had a great retirement party Friday night! Way more folks showed up than I ever dreamed of. Loree was guessing at least 50. Most of the crew at work, and many old friends from the racing days. Also a couple of relatives. There was so much going on I never got any pictures, but our daughter took a selfie of the four of us.
4-14-23.jpg

The guys from work gave me this cool hat/coat hanger. One of the guys built it from something he saw online. More cool junk for the shop! That is nice enough to hang in the house.
DSCN5162.JPG

Got many cards and well wishes. Wish there would have been some way to get a group picture, but there was no way.

Yesterday was Loree's birthday and she wanted to go to Hot Springs, SD to visit her Mom and stepdad. The mail came just before we left so we grabbed it out of the mailbox on the way out. Got a wonderful card from Rick @CRF6179 and his wife Edy! Thank you so much!!!
DSCN5161.JPG

We didn't get home until late so no computer time last night either. Loree had to leave for Sioux Falls this afternoon for a work training she and a co-worker are giving. Our daughter is going back home to Aberdeen tomorrow but went to visit friends. She took the Denali and left her car here for me to work on. Her boyfriend ran into their garage with it and scraped paint but it didn't bend anything. Told her I would do the best I could to clean it up. It was a good project to do while the race was on.
DSCN5155.JPG

I was hoping it was mostly paint from the garage and not the car's paint ground off. I tried a couple different solvents to clean and nothing worked. Then I got out some denatured alcohol. It worked great! Wiped off the white paint then buffed it out with some Mirror Glaze. The red paint is scraped through in a couple of places but I will order some touch up paint to have on hand the next time she is out here.
DSCN5156.JPG

DSCN5157.JPG

The reality of being unemployed (retired) will set in tomorrow night when I don't have to make a lunch and set the alarm for 5am!

DAC

The not setting an alarm and doing the before work routine would be amazing….and a shock!

Tonight I laid out my uniform, socks, undershirt, and packed my lunch. Just laid down and set the alarm for 540am…!

I’m jealous. Enjoy your retirement. You deserve it!

Back