And more junk.

Good to here the cat is still around. :thumbs:

Whats the redline on RPM for that thing? Those blades would be like Ninja throwing stars if they came loose.;)
I'm afraid this thing didn't come with a spec sheet, CJet---LOL! We're gonna let 'er buck! I can always flatten the pitch to slow it down If it looks to be life threatening! With the 40 and 50 mph wind around here that thing should buzz tighter than an Indy engine!

Yeah the cat being spotted took some stress off me because the girls are hopeful now. I do miss the old critter too.

DAC

I'm afraid it's frozen by 9 pm or so around here, John! I actually put a can of tuna in the trap last night at probably 1am after Loree determined the cat was till around here. Temp was 24F. Hoped she would sniff it out before it froze. She ate some more out of her food puzzle toy instead.

DAC

If she will eat some dry food, put some of the tuna juice on the dry food. Should still be plateable for her and have the odor she likes maybe??
She is a dry food cat almost 100%. She never gets canned food, just some occasional tuna.

No cat last night so with the weather going downhill I rebuilt the trap to look more inviting to a cold critter.

I cut the rings and rolled the wire back to straighten and lubricate linkage. It was kind of stiff. For some reason the cat had taken a liking to an old laptop bag. looks like it will fit without causing problems to the door mechanism.

trap.jpg DSCN5962.JPG

DSCN5963.JPG

Decided to try a new scent to attract her plus it doubled as the lubricant for the stiff linkage---good old bacon grease! That's in the jar in the first pic.

Wrapped it with a small HF moving blanket, using Gorilla tape. Hope fully the tape holds. Seems like real good stuff.

DSCN5964.JPG

took it outside and used the BBQ grill as a windbreak. Put the food puzzle toy on the trip panel carefully! The bacon grease has this thing sliding easily now!

DSCN5967.JPG

Can see from inside the house if it has tripped.
DSCN5965.JPG

Now what kind of a dumb cat wouldn't want to crawl into this luxury? Ours probably---LOL!

DSCN5966.JPG

I do think that it's just a waiting game. If she survives she will come back when she's hungry and tired. My sister and daughter want the neighborhood searched like a forensic team would do! I think we have done what we can do without wasting too much time. Our son also came over today and did "rounds" on the property every hour or two and helped with the trap. His day off work. The cat seemed to like him when he lived here for awhile.

DAC

Its like Willey E. Coyote trying to catch the Road Runner, gotta keep improving the trap. ;) Hope it works this time.
If the wind would back off some light s-word might be helpful tracking, CJet, but it is blowing horizontally so no help there! I have been keeping the trap in the vicinity of the two times she made an appearance. If that goes dry will move it further.

DAC

Caught the wrong cat last night. Neighbors old critter I call Old Man. He is at least 13 years old like our escapee. He is partly feral but sure seems to be a survivor. His Right front leg was badly broken 7 or 8 years ago and healed crooked. Still has a limp but didn't seem to slow him down for long. Didn't take a pic last night when I freed him, but I took a pic when I was feeding him for the neighbor while she was gone for awhile a couple years ago. Problem with him is he runs off other cats, and may have done that with ours.
old man 8-21-21-2.JPG

No trace of our cat yet. Spent today doing the rest of the Christmas decorating and watched a movie with Loree and Chris, our son. A guy came and looked at the Heep. I told him $900 bucks. He seems very interested, but is doing some research on why it may be shutting off after a few minutes. Been told by several folks it's the crank position sensor, including an engineer I've known since he was a kid. He works for Chrysler Corp in Detroit now as a customer troubleshooter. I don't want to work on it though.

DAC

More and more I'm getting to know that feeling and it makes me unhappy with myself.
I still have the desire to work on the old ones, like you are doing on Junebug, Chris, but not too interested in the computer era. I'll work on the Denali if needed but that's it. My hands don't fit into a lot of places any more.

I look at that this way - It was sure fun while it lasted.
Time for less strenuous activities.
I understand what you mean, Roger! It sounds like when you need to get after some major labor you still handle it, even with the pain associated afterward! I hope I'm in as good of shape when I reach your age!

We had moved north about 5 miles back then. Always crawled up and laid beside me in the chair.
That's quite a distance for a cat to find it's way without even being there before Rad! It's amazing what animals can do sometimes!

Speaking of amazing things, I decided to look in the trap at Loree's suggestion. Some "cat burglar" had gotten in there, slid the can of tuna off of the trip mechanism and ate it all without being caught! I had it on a rubber coaster so it had traction on the steel trip panel. The critter slid the can off and somehow shoved the rubber coaster over the top of the trip panel without setting it off! It doesn't take much of a push to set it off but something managed to do it. Daughter is sure it was Marge. Loree talked to a couple of neighbors today that had seen the cat so maybe she is still around. Daughter messaged me today that a couple of security cameras will be here tomorrow. Looks like I have some work to do this week putting them up and figuring out how they operate.

Made a verbal agreement with the guy to buy the Heep. I went down to $800. Loree got it free but we did put about $1000 into it when she got it. I think transferring the title and license was nearly 300 bucks of that. It sounds like his daughter likes it. She won't be legal to drive for over a year yet and in the meantime he is going to rebuild the engine and just go over it to make the kid a good school car. I have to drive it around the yard on Tuesday as it's in the way of getting the septic tank pumped. Got that scheduled for Wednesday.

Wrapped Christmas presents and ordered one more for Loree today.

DAC

Our drain field has been partially destroyed by tree roots. I get it pumped at least annually.

Had running around to do in town this morning and a doc appointment. Got home and the security cameras our daughter ordered were here. My hands and fingers are sore from being cramped up in the phone holding position to get them working on wifi then sharing the links to Loree and both kids so they can look if they want to. I can't look at them on the PC without paying 40 bucks a year though for 2 cameras. Both cameras are inside. No outlet near the back yard camera location I want and it was windy enough messing with outside locations was a PIA.

Back yard cam. Faces north.
D03F27A5D75C_1702338151.JPG

D03F27A5D75C_1702339527.JPG

Living room cam. Faces south.

D03F27A5D794_1702337549.JPG

D03F27A5D794_1702338791.JPG

Motion detecting will be kind of a nuisance when it's windy, which it normally is here! It caught me once already.
IMG_1160.jpg

The glass has a lot of glare at night with inside lights on but will be better after lights out.

No cats in the trap today. Flying rats (Blackbirds) eat the food we have out quite a bit, including tuna.

Didn't get any shop time besides sitting here at the PC right now with the security camera adventure. Muddled my way though it somehow.

DAC

Last edited:
Back