And more junk.

Yeah he's pretty good (Mustie1) , it's amazing what he pics up on the road side with little wrong them, mostly carb issues, firing etc. Most people don't bother trying, they just chuck them. That one was a go cart sitting under a tree for years.

I need professional help! Drug home a roto tiller from the scrap at work today. 8 HP Briggs has a big hole in the block and parts robbed off it. including the wheels. I liked the hi-lo-reverse transaxle though. Tines look real good too. No, I have no plans on busting sod for a garden. Maybe after I retire, if I'm in good enough shape. Probably not in good enough shape now!

DAC

View attachment 51603 View attachment 51604 View attachment 51605

View attachment 51606 View attachment 51607 View attachment 51608

View attachment 51609 View attachment 51610

If you are up-to-it, you can take that old tiller and rebuilt it into a PTO driven tiller from a real garden tractor. How? Replace the engine with a gearbox or a beveled gear transfer box. run a shaft out of the box to the garden tractor PTO. Make arm attachments on the tiller. The machine is good to go!

If you are up-to-it, you can take that old tiller and rebuilt it into a PTO driven tiller from a real garden tractor. How? Replace the engine with a gearbox or a beveled gear transfer box. run a shaft out of the box to the garden tractor PTO. Make arm attachments on the tiller. The machine is good to go!
It probably could be adapted to the 3 point and rear pto on my MF1450. Maybe some day in the future, Brett!

DAC

Well, more junk! Aaron @Toomanytoys84 may know something about this thing I got out of the scrap trailer at work today. It is too puny for a old fat man to ride by far, but I thought the wheels and tires might be useful along with the little band brake. Sticker looks like it says "Razor". Looks like maybe a chain saw engine might be able to fit in this thing but that's about it---LOL!

DAC

Razor1.JPG

Razor2.JPG

Well, more junk! Aaron @Toomanytoys84 may know something about this thing I got out of the scrap trailer at work today. It is too puny for a old fat man to ride by far, but I thought the wheels and tires might be useful along with the little band brake. Sticker looks like it says "Razor". Looks like maybe a chain saw engine might be able to fit in this thing but that's about it---LOL!

DAC

View attachment 54426

View attachment 54427

might’ve been electric or one of the 49cc 2 stroke bikes. Not much value in it besides what you said. Wheels and tires are the best part. I took one apart a few months ago just to get the alloy wheels and nice tires off it.

I figured you would know something about it, Aaron! I can build something out of the pieces I rob from it then scrap the rest. Those are just steel wheels. I am guessing it was probably the two stroke, although there is a wire hanging off of it. Looks more like a fuel tank mount on it rather than a battery mount.

Thanks for the reply!---DAC

Last edited:
And even more junk, and the story of this old LT goes back to 2010, so it might get looong---LOL!

A guy at work gave me this Murray non-running back in 2010. I got it running and put some belts and spindle bushings in it. It had a stuck valve which I got freed up and the B/S 12 hp I.C. ran great! I used it to mow for a year but had a bout with cancer and a long recovery . Fortunately it was during the winter so no mowing was needed. It mowed great But I got a very good deal in July of 2011 to buy the MF12G. The 12G had a few bugs to work out so I kept the Murray for back-up mowing. I think it was in September of 2011 when I discovered GTT and got a lot of help with the 12G. The Murray was seldom used until 2014 when my in-laws moved to Oelrichs, SD where they had enough space for a rider. I gave the Murray to them.

Terry1.jpg Murray for Terry.jpg

Loaded it up in the '55 and hauled it down to them, 75 miles south of here in 2014
Murray tractor in '55 004.jpg Murray tractor in '55 006.jpg

The in-laws planted trees and made flower beds so the yard got smaller to the point that the tractor was hard to use in the tight confines of the yard. The tractor became a "loaner" and did the mowing in the alley behind their house. It was out on the ranch on the Rez for a while, and it got loaned out around town a lot. One time they let their niece who lives next door borrow it. All I know is they took this cap literally---LOL!
DSCN4407.JPG
Yup, they filled the oil clear to the top of that tube---LOL! It wouldn't even crank over after about a quarter turn! FIL went over there and drained the oil and put in the proper amount.

Earlier this spring, when FIL was out on the east coast helping to care for his ailing brother, folks were helping take care of some yard work for MIL. Her brother fired up this old Murray and did what he could but it was easier to use a push mower they said. The deck belt kept falling off, then it wouldn't start. They had asked me to come haul it away clear back last summer, but I never got around to it.

Yesterday we went to go see FIL for Father's Day and we took the trailer to bring it back home. Figured I would end up scrapping it.
IMG_0567.jpg IMG_0568.jpg

Got it home last night and rolled it into the shop this afternoon. Starter was locked up. Robbed a starter off an old Craftsman 11hp sitting out back, topped off the oil, and it fired right up and ran smooth, and no smoke! I figured the seat was junk since that old sweatshirt was tied around it but it is still nice!

DSCN4401.JPG DSCN4403.JPG

This may be another back up mower or maybe see if I can get a hundred bucks or so out of it. The battery was still charged. I'm pretty sure this is why the belt is falling off the deck too! I will bolt that back up and see if it mows.
DSCN4402.JPG

Probably better pull the deck and see what kind of condition it is in before I make a decision on selling it or not. That may be a winter project. Long as it runs and the tires still hold air, I'll put it back outside and work on it more later.

Sorry about the long history of a POS lawn tractor but you gotta admit that this thing seems to be a survivor!

DAC

Ahhh, but it’s not a POS lawnmower Doug. They are a great tractor and cut nice. My uncle had one of those exactly the same. It was a nice looking tractor. He would wax it up. Nice colour. My cousin and I were very sad when our uncle died and cousin wanted the tractor. Sentimental reasons. So he drove from Ottawa to get it. And he took it home with him. So he used it, only a very small yard he had but that didn’t matter. My son and I sorta wanted the tractor too. Any way cousin got it and that was fine. I didn’t need it any way. So my cousin said, that when he was through with it, it would come back to PEI. So cousin dies and the tractor sat. Sadly I never did get it back. Cousins family members were not attached to the tractor like my cousin was. From what I heard the engine blew up and tractor went to scrap.
Any way, they are a very good tractor. I have a model that’s called a Yard King. Exactly the same tractor, just different colours. I bought it new in 1993. Have not used it in a couple of years.

Noel

Attachments

• 78771E24-E24F-423E-8293-C1F940BAFCFB.png
    78771E24-E24F-423E-8293-C1F940BAFCFB.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
I enjoyed the story Doug they do have a good reputation and I too like Noel mentioned like the colors. I actually was looking at one last night but too far away. Since I gave my son my dads Craftsman LTS1500 I miss a little tractor. It got into places I can’t no more then I have to go back and weed eat. I think a lot of these little tractors get a bad rap. Hope you keep it and get back up to par again.

Ahhh, but it’s not a POS lawnmower Doug. They are a great tractor and cut nice. My uncle had one of those exactly the same. It was a nice looking tractor. He would wax it up. Nice colour. My cousin and I were very sad when our uncle died and cousin wanted the tractor. Sentimental reasons. So he drove from Ottawa to get it. And he took it home with him. So he used it, only a very small yard he had but that didn’t matter. My son and I sorta wanted the tractor too. Any way cousin got it and that was fine. I didn’t need it any way. So my cousin said, that when he was through with it, it would come back to PEI. So cousin dies and the tractor sat. Sadly I never did get it back. Cousins family members were not attached to the tractor like my cousin was. From what I heard the engine blew up and tractor went to scrap.
Any way, they are a very good tractor. I have a model that’s called a Yard King. Exactly the same tractor, just different colours. I bought it new in 1993. Have not used it in a couple of years.

Noel
Nice looking tractor, Noel! Get it out and give it some exercise one of these days!

My grandfather had a Murray just like that. He mowed with that thing for year! It wasn’t a bad tractor at all.
Glad it worked well for your grandpa, Aaron! I can see where I simple tractor like this may be useful.

I enjoyed the story Doug they do have a good reputation and I too like Noel mentioned like the colors. I actually was looking at one last night but too far away. Since I gave my son my dads Craftsman LTS1500 I miss a little tractor. It got into places I can’t no more then I have to go back and weed eat. I think a lot of these little tractors get a bad rap. Hope you keep it and get back up to par again.
Hope you are able to run across another smaller mower one of these days, Jim. I bet your son is loving having Grandpa's mower!

Thanks for the encouraging replies, guys! I didn't get to look it over any closer today, but I did add some gas and drive it around a little bit. All gears work. Deck does not engage at all. Carb was dripping some gas, I banged on it and it quit. Will bring it back in for a better look soon. My wife mentioned that she wouldn't mind trying this one to see if she likes it better than the Bolens/MTD that she was using last year. I need to put a solenoid and a variable drive belt on the MTD still. Not enough time in the day!

DAC

Last edited:
Had to haul some more junk home from the scrap pile at work again! And no, don't have any idea what I will do with them---LOL!

That's an 8' box to give an idea of how long these railings are. They are too short to have been a handrail, so not sure what they were used for.
DSCN4440.JPG

Hopefully I will think of something to use them for! Anyone have some ideas? I couldn't see them going to scrap.

DAC

Had to haul some more junk home from the scrap pile at work again! And no, don't have any idea what I will do with them---LOL!

That's an 8' box to give an idea of how long these railings are. They are too short to have been a handrail, so not sure what they were used for.
View attachment 56027

Hopefully I will think of something to use them for! Anyone have some ideas? I couldn't see them going to scrap.

DAC
That’s a nice find. If that’s the old wrought iron it will bring a good price especially matching rails. I’ve seen the short stuff at the edge of older homes on the roof or on top of a retaining wall between the sidewalk and yard. Back in the day it was just to separate the yard and a little security.

I was building a porch one time and the HO was throwing away a WI gate with the company badge on it. I brought it home and Carol loved it. We took a trip to Cincinnati and found the company. It was a small shop that was vacant but had several relics of WI rails and fencing still near the shop with the same badge.
EC674E8B-723A-4AC2-AD64-376ADFD2F532.jpeg3B6CFEE0-528A-4A3D-9083-3FC789F28D72.jpeg

That’s a nice find. If that’s the old wrought iron it will bring a good price especially matching rails. I’ve seen the short stuff at the edge of older homes on the roof or on top of a retaining wall between the sidewalk and yard. Back in the day it was just to separate the yard and a little security.

I was building a porch one time and the HO was throwing away a WI gate with the company badge on it. I brought it home and Carol loved it. We took a trip to Cincinnati and found the company. It was a small shop that was vacant but had several relics of WI rails and fencing still near the shop with the same badge.
View attachment 56046View attachment 56047
Yes, Jim, these rails are the real deal but the vertical square posts may be tubing. The twisted square stock is solid iron along with the round scroll work. The channel top and bottom is probably 1/4" thick. It's all heavy stuff. No company ID that I've seen but it's so hot I didn't get to look them over real close. May have been built by a private individual but if it was it's nice work. I'll try to get more pics later. I was out spraying weeds for awhile today and that was enough!

That's a really nice gate, and it was cool you actually found the shop that made it years ago!

DAC

I figured that putting an update on the JD 110 here would be appropriate since I did buy it. Plus, the lady at the house also said that the Craftsman GT 5000 was free if I wanted to take it too! I figured since it is a GT that I better haul it home too.

The JD is almost complete. Missing the key and fuel tank. Engine feels free.

The Craftsman has a fuel line problem that sounds like it may need a new fuel tank and line. The lady said the belts fall off too. My wfe will claim that one as soon as she sees it's a Dale Earnhardt Jr. tractor. He is her favorite. Hope I can get them running. I needed these like a hole in my head but for a hundred bucks it was hard not to take them.

Now the real bad---they can't come in the shop until they get washed. They smell like dog pi$$---LOL! They were sitting where the dogs chain could reach them!

I had not gotten lunch before I had to leave to get them so I figured I'd give an update while I was eating a sandwich.

DAC

DSCN4457.JPG DSCN4458.JPG

DSCN4459.JPG DSCN4460.JPG

Square fender 110 is a great machine!

worst part for me in grabbing them is the decks seem to ROT worse than any machine I’ve messed with.

i have the one from when I was a kid in boxes waiting for me to one day start restoring it. It’s sandblasted and sprayed with red primer. Problem with it is the deck rotted in two. Can’t find a solid one.

I don’t know anything about the newer sears. I wasn’t a fan of any after the suburban lines ended. Price certainly was right.

Last edited:
I figured that putting an update on the JD 110 here would be appropriate since I did buy it. Plus, the lady at the house also said that the Craftsman GT 5000 was free if I wanted to take it too! I figured since it is a GT that I better haul it home too.

The JD is almost complete. Missing the key and fuel tank. Engine feels free.

The Craftsman has a fuel line problem that sounds like it may need a new fuel tank and line. The lady said the belts fall off too. My wfe will claim that one as soon as she sees it's a Dale Earnhardt Jr. tractor. He is her favorite. Hope I can get them running. I needed these like a hole in my head but for a hundred bucks it was hard not to take them.

Now the real bad---they can't come in the shop until they get washed. They smell like dog pi$$---LOL! They were sitting where the dogs chain could reach them!

I had not gotten lunch before I had to leave to get them so I figured I'd give an update while I was eating a sandwich.

DAC

View attachment 57566 View attachment 57567

View attachment 57568 View attachment 57569
The only problem with the GT5000 is the dumb arm to raise and lower the deck. It will in time snap and break in the worse possible location to require a near full body tear down to just get in there. AND, the solenoid atop the frame is a real bugger to get to. Other than that, it works super. I had the model below it, DYT4000 and when the engine B+S 18Hp died, I swapped in the GT5000 Kohler V-twin M18 Magnum.

Back