And more junk.

Also, you might want to check and see if the previous owners of that 110 have the mule drive for that tiller, Doug. There's a set of two pulleys that go under he middle of the tractor, one belt comes off the engine and goes to the mule drive, a second belt goes from the mule drive, then gets twisted going to the tiller. The twist allows the tiller to spin in the forward direction. Deere set it up that way so the tiller would "walk" over any rocks, and not "dig" under them.
Does this look correct @JDJake? I thought I would send him a picture so he knows what I am asking about.img_rGIp9b2EvwIoImj_r.jpg

John-Deere-31-Tiller-Mule-Drive-110-112.jpg

Thanks in advance!

DAC

I appreciate the comment, Jake, but you are talking over my head---LOL! No idea what a dingle clutch is. The blade measures 42" wide. I think a number on the blade tag may say uno43 though or something similar. Hard to read.

DAC
I meant single clutch, some 110's and 112's have a single clutch/brake pedal, others have one clutch pedal and a brake pedal on the other side.. With the tractor having a blade and a tiller coming with it, which means you got both the front and rear lift linkages. Both were extra parts that had to be ordered when the 110 came out. There are three different mule drives for your tiller,Doug, the one in your picture is the best. As far as the blade number, Deere is a little goofy in the numbering of their older attachments. There's a 42 and 43 blade, but both are 42", it's just the 42 is for the round fender 110 and 112, the 43 is for the later square fenders and 200 series. Same goes for mower decks and tillers, one number goes with gear drives, the other goes with hydro's, it can get confusing at times.

Last edited:
I meant single clutch, some 110's and 112's have a single clutch/brake pedal, others have one clutch pedal and a brake pedal on the other side.. With the tractor having a blade and a tiller coming with it, which means you got both the front and rear lift linkages. Both were extra parts that had to be ordered when the 110 came out. There are three different mule drives for your tiller,Doug, the one in your picture is the best. As far as the blade number, Deere is a little goofy in the numbering of their older attachments. There's a 42 and 43 blade, but both are 42", it's just the 42 is for the round fender 110 and 112, the 43 is for the later square fenders and 200 series. Same goes for mower decks and tillers, one number goes with gear drives, the other goes with hydro's, it can get confusing at times.
Great info, Jake, I appreciate your knowledge! I'll probably have plenty more dumb questions since I'm a greenhorn on green tractors---LOL!

Don't know how either lift works yet, but I'm sure that number on the blade is 43 as you said. The letters with it are pretty hard to read.

DAC

All your lift linkages are attached to the lift handle, and speaking of, you might want to check underneath the tractor if you take the deck off. Deere came out with a helper spring for the hand lift. If your tractor has it, you'll appreciate it with that tiller. When the time comes and you need belts let me know, I can get you the JD numbers for them.

All your lift linkages are attached to the lift handle, and speaking of, you might want to check underneath the tractor if you take the deck off. Deere came out with a helper spring for the hand lift. If your tractor has it, you'll appreciate it with that tiller. When the time comes and you need belts let me know, I can get you the JD numbers for them.
The p.o. said he doesn't remember having that mule drive but will look around. Don't know if that tiller will ever bust any sod again if one doesn't turn up.

It was too hot this afternoon and I was too tired from work to do much outside. Nothing accomplished. I did do some searching for a air cleaner cover for the GT5000 engine. It's a discontinued part with B/S. The PO doesn't know what happened to it either.

I did find one which would have been just under a hundred bucks shipped. Thought I would look more.

Briggs PN 698075 replaced with PN 790096. Both discontinued. I think it looks like these pictures.
790096.jpg medium.png

It fits over the hole where the air filter element is.
DSCN4468.JPG DSCN4471.JPG DSCN4476.JPG

Anyone have one or know where to find one please let me know!

DAC

The p.o. said he doesn't remember having that mule drive but will look around. Don't know if that tiller will ever bust any sod again if one doesn't turn up.

It was too hot this afternoon and I was too tired from work to do much outside. Nothing accomplished. I did do some searching for a air cleaner cover for the GT5000 engine. It's a discontinued part with B/S. The PO doesn't know what happened to it either.

I did find one which would have been just under a hundred bucks shipped. Thought I would look more.

Briggs PN 698075 replaced with PN 790096. Both discontinued. I think it looks like these pictures.
View attachment 57702 View attachment 57703

It fits over the hole where the air filter element is.
View attachment 57704 View attachment 57705 View attachment 57706

Anyone have one or know where to find one please let me know!

DAC
I'd almost think as long as you can keep the air filter held down with something (wire, tie rap,ect) it would probably be ok till you found the right cover...with maybe a little piece of screen on top for added protection..

I'd almost think as long as you can keep the air filter held down with something (wire, tie rap,ect) it would probably be ok till you found the right cover...with maybe a little piece of screen on top for added protection..
That's what I thought at first too, Bill, but the air comes in through the bottom.
DSCN4480.JPG DSCN4481.JPG
The filtered air goes through the rectangle hole with rounded corners at the top to reach the carb. That is where I poured some gas to fire the engine briefly.

I thought I might have one of those covers, but it's different. Bolts on.
I saw the ones with thumbscrews holding on the cover too. They were the ones that kept coming up in the search until I went to the parts list from the PDF you supplied. Got that part number and one with a cheaper price came up. On back order it said though, and since B/S has discontinued both part numbers, it is probably a permanent back order. I'm sure that's why such high prices are put on used ones I saw on epay.

We had a nice little rain this afternoon so I mustered up some energy after work thinking it was going to stay nice and cool outside. Well it really felt like an oven with what must have been 99% humidity! Stayed outside long enough to hook a battery to the JD 110 and try to crank it. A random key will turn the ignition switch even though it had no key when I got the tractor. No crank using the switch. I jumped to the starter and it cranked over very well. No spark to the plug so far.

The lift lever on the JD110 does operate the rear front and center lifts like Jake said above. I just had to spot where the mechanism was for the front. At least that seems complete.

Worked up a sweat fast so called it a day outside.

The rain woke up the dog pi$$ smell on them too---LOL! Gotta get them washed!

DAC

I have no way of knowing if that cover you have would bolt on to this engine either, Kenny. Buying the whole housing in the link you posted is the best deal so far. Thanks for posting it. I might just break down and order it!

Light rain outside after work so I didn't do anything except take the seat off of the GT5000. These seats don't move back far enough!

DAC

I went ahead and ordered that cover from the link you provided, Kenny. Too bad I only need part of it---LOL! I also ordered an air filter, oil filter, and spark plug kit, along with tubes for the front tires. LF leaks air pretty fast. Then I also ordered several fuel filters and shutoff valves in a package too.

I was working on signs this weekend so still didn't get them washed, and tomorrow we have to go to the in-laws. They are moving and we will give them a hand.

The PO of the JD and GT5000 messaged me on FB this afternoon and said he couldn't find anything that looked like the missing mule drive for the JD. Guess I will have to keep an eye on epay but that will have to wait for awhile. I'd like the be sure it will run and move before I start soaking money into it. I have kind of jumped the gun on the GT5000 as I know it runs and charges, but I don't know if it will move! Just gas poured in the carb so far.

DAC

I went ahead and ordered that cover from the link you provided, Kenny. Too bad I only need part of it---LOL! I also ordered an air filter, oil filter, and spark plug kit, along with tubes for the front tires. LF leaks air pretty fast. Then I also ordered several fuel filters and shutoff valves in a package too.

I was working on signs this weekend so still didn't get them washed, and tomorrow we have to go to the in-laws. They are moving and we will give them a hand.

The PO of the JD and GT5000 messaged me on FB this afternoon and said he couldn't find anything that looked like the missing mule drive for the JD. Guess I will have to keep an eye on epay but that will have to wait for awhile. I'd like the be sure it will run and move before I start soaking money into it. I have kind of jumped the gun on the GT5000 as I know it runs and charges, but I don't know if it will move! Just gas poured in the carb so far.

DAC
I got a feeling your ok for putting some money in your Craftsman. You really need that air cleaner set up right. I recently ordered me a pack of filters both kinds for gravity flow and fuel pump. That’s funny about your Craftsman when I got Hoopdy I was just interested in salvaging the engine. It sit out all winter with just the hood covered. After my curiosity got the best of me early this year it’s a dependable grass cutter now. I search for a hood almost every day. I found out some of these Craftsman’s and others like them have egg shells for hoods. I did find one that was in very good shape but I lost interest in it for $90. plus shipping. Keep us posted Dac.

I got a feeling your ok for putting some money in your Craftsman. You really need that air cleaner set up right. I recently ordered me a pack of filters both kinds for gravity flow and fuel pump. That’s funny about your Craftsman when I got Hoopdy I was just interested in salvaging the engine. It sit out all winter with just the hood covered. After my curiosity got the best of me early this year it’s a dependable grass cutter now. I search for a hood almost every day. I found out some of these Craftsman’s and others like them have egg shells for hoods. I did find one that was in very good shape but I lost interest in it for $90. plus shipping. Keep us posted Dac.
If you painted the hood or fender pan to match one or the other, 99% of folks would never know it's the wrong hood, Jim---LOL! It looks pretty much like it belongs there so save some bucks and use what you have.

One thing that will be a concern about the GT5000 is that it is so big! The deck is a foot wider than my normal mowing tractor, the MF12G. I know it won't fit between a couple of the trees and it's too big to keep in the shop. I will even have to re-think a tractor shed down the road here that has been in the planning and materials gathering stage for several years. I was just going to put a 4' door in it, which I have. This one obviously won't go through that---LOL! Oh well just got to see if it will run, move and mow first---LOL! Guess it will have to live under a tarp.

DAC

Got 3 packages today for the GT5000. Front inner tubes, air filter, pre-filter, oil filter, spark plugs and a fuel filter. Also the engine shroud Kenny found the link on arrived. Even though it is 100 degrees, and I'm beat from 10 hours out in it, I had to go outside and test fit the air cleaner cover. It fit great! Didn't take time for a pic of that!

DSCN4488.JPG DSCN4489.JPG DSCN4490.JPG

Will the paper element type of fuel filter work on the feed side of the fuel pump? I've never really had to use fuel filters before as I have always known the conditions of the fuel tanks on my other GT's. I have used a couple of those fine screen filters but didn't like them. It seemed like they restricted flow pretty badly.

Thanks again, Kenny for that engine shroud link. It was still a better price than some cover-only sales I saw.

DAC

Got 3 packages today for the GT5000. Front inner tubes, air filter, pre-filter, oil filter, spark plugs and a fuel filter. Also the engine shroud Kenny found the link on arrived. Even though it is 100 degrees, and I'm beat from 10 hours out in it, I had to go outside and test fit the air cleaner cover. It fit great! Didn't take time for a pic of that!

View attachment 58064 View attachment 58065 View attachment 58066

Will the paper element type of fuel filter work on the feed side of the fuel pump? I've never really had to use fuel filters before as I have always known the conditions of the fuel tanks on my other GT's. I have used a couple of those fine screen filters but didn't like them. It seemed like they restricted flow pretty badly.

Thanks again, Kenny for that engine shroud link. It was still a better price than some cover-only sales I saw.

DAC
Glad you got all your stuff wow that must have been like Christmas. I’ve always installed them between the tank and feed side of the pump with no problems.

Glad you got all your stuff wow that must have been like Christmas. I’ve always installed them between the tank and feed side of the pump with no problems.
Thanks for the info, Jim! I know on my old trucks I usually put the inline filter between the pump and the carb, so wasn't sure about these. I think you guys have called this type of pump a "pulse pump"?

It would have felt a little more like Christmas if I wasn't so damm tired after work!

DSCN4479.JPG

Still don't know if it works!

DAC

Doug I’ve used the paper type your using for everything for years but recently had some trouble with one filling up with enough fuel for the gravity fed to work. An old guy told me to only use that type with a pump. This is the type of filter he suggested I use on all gravity feds. I ordered them from Amazon.
AUTOKAY Lawn Mower 1/4" Inline Gas Fuel Filter Replacement for Briggs Stratton 298090 298090S Toro 42-5240 56-6360 John Deere AM107314 LG298090 LG298090S PT4265 Pack of 10 https://a.co/d/f422Mxp

Back