And more junk.

That's ok Kenny, don't worry about trying to find it. I ordered a new one. It's a chinese knock off but I've never had a bad one yet. Yeah what a "Beepin" mess to use Noel's quote---LOL!

Tonight I was still pretty beat from work but there was a truck race on and I figured I could shop vac the GT5000 deck sitting on my butt in front of the TV. I turned the 16 year old 42" on and it came on normal. I walked away and heard a loud sizzle and pop! The TV was blank. Then I could smell burnt electronics! I knew it was done. Little sad in a way as it was my inheritance when Dad died. He bought it to watch his baseball new in 2006 but died before it was a year old. His wife sent it to me a couple months after we buried him.

Anyway, back up TV I had stored somehow got the screen broken so that was out, 2 junk TV's to get rid of now! It was in a garbage bag so I didn't see the damage right away. Last resort. Our daughter left a 32" here when she moved to Aberdeen. Brought it out to the shop and set it up. Guess it's mine now---LOL!
DSCN4516.JPG DSCN4519.JPG DSCN4518.JPG

Got back to working on the tractor after that adventure. The cutting deck had a lot of debris on it so I was concerned about rust holes. The right side is missing the belt guard, so cleaned that up first. Looks ok.
DSCN4535.JPG

Decided to pull this guard off and it was nasty under it.
DSCN4520.JPG DSCN4521.JPG DSCN4524.JPG

Cleaned that out and don't see any rust holes at least. The deck spindles seem free and the belt wasn't rusted into the pulleys.
DSCN4527.JPG

I would like to leave that guard off, but it is designed to be a step also. This tractor is easy to get on but tough for me to get back off of. That step there is helpful. It's kind of a cramped tractor driver comfort wise especially considering it's size.

The lady that was home when I picked up these tractors told me the GT5000 had been running last year but the belts fall off. I'm thinking it was several years since it had run mainly judging by the carb. She was recently widowed so I think that time had probably gotten by her, caring for her dying husband.

Going to mow tomorrow but there is a far outside chance I might be able to get the pressure washer out and clean some tractors!

DAC

Wow Doug hkk look ad you got a tv going. I have my dads tv also 42” in my shop. It’s funny dad always wore out two remotes before the tv went bad.

I think that’s the worse carb I’ve ever seen. I too like running decks without the belt guards but some you can’t because of the way you need to get off. Don’t get discouraged on your GT5000 I’m sure your going to have a nice rig once you get the bugs out.

Wow Doug hkk look ad you got a tv going. I have my dads tv also 42” in my shop. It’s funny dad always wore out two remotes before the tv went bad.

I think that’s the worse carb I’ve ever seen. I too like running decks without the belt guards but some you can’t because of the way you need to get off. Don’t get discouraged on your GT5000 I’m sure your going to have a nice rig once you get the bugs out.
I will keep plugging away at it Jim! My wife would be really bummed if I scrapped this idea now too. This deck is so wide from what I'm used to that those pulleys are fully exposed and like I mentioned, stepping on that left guard will help getting on and off. That means at least the left one will go back on, but I probably won't try to hard to find the right one.

Your carb is about the nastiest I've ever seen! I never try cleaning a carb that is half as dirty as that one!
Yeah Daniel, I don't remember ever seeing one that ugly before either. Even in automotive ones that have sat out in the weather for decades! I did suck the thick stuff out of it with the shop vac last night but it helped very little!

That’s a pretty good run for a newer TV. I seem to go through a TV every 10 years. Last TV was 9 but my son was 3 and it took a hit from a rubber bouncy ball and smashed the screen.
I don't even know what I did with the remote that came with Dad's TV or even if she sent it, Aaron. The cable we have has it's own remotes that program to the TV. They must be pretty fragile if a rubber ball can break the screen!

View attachment 58479
Ethanol will do it every time. Looks like about 2 gallons worth of damage. :eek:;)

That was my thoughts too, Chris, sure glad we have ethanol free around here!

Thanks for the encouragement and comments, guys! I went out to the po's place to get the JD110 gas tank this morning and the son and mom were both there. They did say that they don't even remember how long the GT5000 had been sitting. Told them the carb was shot but it will run and they seemed genuinely happy that it may be a useable tractor again. He said he would still keep looking for the tiller mule drive as he cleans his dad's shop out.

That tank looks very solid on the outside,
DSCN4538.JPG DSCN4540.JPG

but pretty bad in the inside unfortunately.
IMG_0662.jpg IMG_0663.jpg

It's got a baffle just to the left in the pictures too and I got no clue how that part of the tank could be cleaned. Missing the shut off valve and cap.
I'm sure no rust pinholes are in this tank but it still is probably not salvageable. Only have one mounting bracket but I think I could build one of them.
DSCN4539.JPG

DAC

I'd be surprised if the baffle goes all the way to the bottom. Fill it about a 1/4 full of pea gravel and somehow attach it to the wheel on a tractor, four wheeler or something like that and drive it around for awhile. Do you have an agitator or something at work that rotates slow that you can attach it too?
Course sandblasting material might work also.

I know you did Chris. Not sure what would have to be in that carb to mess it up that bad. My comment was for the benefit of those that may not be aware that ethanol can be successfully run in anything with stabilizer. No non-ethanol gas available any more locally. One station had an above ground 500 gal tank but didn't sell enough to warrant it so took it out.

I'd be surprised if the baffle goes all the way to the bottom. Fill it about a 1/4 full of pea gravel and somehow attach it to the wheel on a tractor, four wheeler or something like that and drive it around for awhile. Do you have an agitator or something at work that rotates slow that you can attach it too?
Course sandblasting material might work also.
The circled area is the bottom of the baffle Chris, and the top of the baffle feels exactly the same with my finger. Maybe there is a small hole underneath that tab in the center of the circle?
Baffle bottom.jpg

Hand full of 5/16" nuts works too.

I run nothing but ethanol in everything BUT I use a stabilizer all the time. No issues for 20+ years.
I'm glad it works so well for you, Roger! Obviously the PO didn't use any stabilizer in that tractor.

My remark about ethanol was done in humor. I run ethanol in the vehicles that are designed for it but that's it.
Same here.

I had a bunch of computer work to do this morning, then sprayed weeds, missing part of the race. Have to take advantage of great weather!
Came in the shop and decided to work on the GT5000 some. I could see gas seeping from the fuel line repair the PO did on the underside of the tank. I googled the part number for the grommet and fitting that should be there and it easily turned up results. Got that coming as well as some 1/4" fuel line. I'm hoping that it can be installed without removing the fender pan and tank. I drained the tank so there won't be any more leaking.

Went ahead and made a paper pattern of the seat bottom and positioned it on the seat mount to see if I could get four holes on the mount as far back as I guess would be comfortable for the seat position. It was kind of a wild guess.

Drilled the holes and put a bolt in the see if I will like it. My wife usually likes the same seat positions I do. Feels good so it got bolted on permanent!
DSCN4543.JPG DSCN4542.JPG
The four allen heads with washers are the seat bolts.

With the seat on it is quite a bit easier to get off of the tractor now, but it will be hard on the seat I suppose.

DAC

Maybe there is a small hole underneath that tab in the center of the circle?
Has to be a hole or the gas wouldn't be able to get on the other side of the baffle. Trying to think of something that would cut that rust better than pea gravel. Like Roger said maybe a handful of small nuts. The ones with the star type lock washers attached would work the best.
Muriatic acid will remove the rust. You can buy it at Menards. Follow all safety precautions when using.
This taken from the net.
You can treat rusting metal with muriatic acid, and it will dissolve the rust, which is why steel pickling, a process that removes tarnish from steel prior to marketing, makes use of it.

Has to be a hole or the gas wouldn't be able to get on the other side of the baffle. Trying to think of something that would cut that rust better than pea gravel. Like Roger said maybe a handful of small nuts. The ones with the star type lock washers attached would work the best.
Muriatic acid will remove the rust. You can buy it at Menards. Follow all safety precautions when using.
This taken from the net.

I’ve cleaned a few tanks with pea gravel, nuts, and also my preference lock washers. I’ve never coated the insides before but have read some successful methods.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I would use the nuts, lockwashers, pea gravel or whatever if there was a large enough hole in the baffle. I used BB's before with good results years ago once on a tank smaller than this.

I'm thinking the muriatic acid is about the only way. Since it appears the hole to the discharge side of the baffle is pretty small, it sure looks like a liquid of some kind is all that will work. I might have some around here but it would be pretty old.

DAC

I ate the pickles first. Took a year to save up enough vinegar ! ;)
Thanks for that tip, Roger! I'm sure I've heard you guys talk about using vinegar before but completely forgot! The tank is full of vinegar right now!

We had a bunch of running around to do in town today, and I had some more computer work to do. I blew compressed air into the tank form both ways, blasting a a lot of rusty dirt out of it. Repeated until most of the loose dirt and rust was gone. Got a plumbing cap screwed on that tank fuel outlet so it will soak for a week or two.
DSCN4546.JPG DSCN4548.JPG DSCN4547.JPG
That cap is the only one around here that screws on this tank. It is off of one of my gas cans. A 5 hp B/S is too small and the cap from the original tank from the MF12G is too big. That tank is now on the MF1450. I have no clue what to order if this tank cleans up to a usable condition.

Then on a junk note, my wife got back from her folk's "moving sale" last night. She hauled home more junk for me! She's a good wife!

DSCN4544.JPG
A lot of that is just shelving material, but there is some tools and supply type junk too.

DSCN4549.JPG
Brand new wheelbarrow tire and wheel.

DSCN4550.JPG
A brand new pair of hole tweezers. I've never had a pair but you never know when they might be needed. I hope they stay brand new though---LOL!

DSCN4553.JPG
Couple of those light duty sheet metal fold-up saw horses. I already have two and used them quite a bit. Need to cut and screw 2x4's to the top of them.

DSCN4552.JPG
A little bit of misc. hardware.

DSCN4551.JPG
And a jar of glass marbles. When I was a kid, I had a collection of antique marbles that dated back into the 1800's. Lost them in a flood. Some of these are pretty old looking, probably dating back to the 1930's. I suppose nowadays there are reproductions that look like those old styles.
Still reminds me of being a kid though!

DAC

Last edited:
Thanks for that tip, Roger! I'm sure I've heard you guys talk about using vinegar before but completely forgot! The tank is full of vinegar right now!

We had a bunch of running around to do in town today, and I had some more computer work to do. I blew compressed air into the tank form both ways, blasting a a lot of rusty dirt out of it. Repeated until most of the loose dirt and rust was gone. Got a plumbing cap screwed on that tank fuel outlet so it will soak for a week or two.
View attachment 58637 View attachment 58639 View attachment 58638
That cap is the only one around here that screws on this tank. It is off of one of my gas cans. A 5 hp B/S is too small and the cap from the original tank from the MF12G is too big. That tank is now on the MF1450. I have no clue what to order if this tank cleans up to a usable condition.

Then on a junk note, my wife got back from her folk's "moving sale" last night. She hauled home more junk for me! She's a good wife!

View attachment 58636
A lot of that is just shelving material, but there is some tools and supply type junk too.

View attachment 58640
Brand new wheelbarrow tire and wheel.

View attachment 58641
A brand new pair of hole tweezers. I've never had a pair but you never know when they might be needed. I hope they stay brand new though---LOL!

View attachment 58644
Couple of those light duty sheet metal fold-up saw horses. I already have two and used them quite a bit. Need to cut and screw 2x4's to the top of them.

View attachment 58643
A little bit of misc. hardware.

View attachment 58642
And a jar of glass marbles. When I was a kid, I had a collection of antique marbles that dated back into the 1800's. Lost them in a flood. Some of these are pretty old looking, probably dating back to the 1930's. I suppose nowadays there are reproductions that look like those old styles.
Still reminds me of being a kid though!

DAC
I’ve got two sets of those metal fold up saw horses that are well over 30 years old and still use them. I was building log homes back in the mid 80’s and a guy had a pair that we were putting logs on to. I couldn’t believe the weight they held so I bought two sets. I hope yours are as good.

I’ve got two sets of those metal fold up saw horses that are well over 30 years old and still use them. I was building log homes back in the mid 80’s and a guy had a pair that we were putting logs on to. I couldn’t believe the weight they held so I bought two sets. I hope yours are as good.
I've had some pretty heavy stuff on mine too, Jim. I don't remember how long I've had the first pair. Probably around 18-20 years. These new to me ones look identical. Once those legs are locked in they are real stout!

DAC

Back