Another Craftsman?, Yup. Slightly Different Than My Others........

Looks more like a Fury rather than a Charger, Eric---LOL! I need to get a couple of batteries pulled and on maintainers for the winter too.

DAC

Good eye Dac, and pun too. Yep its a Fury, a '67 VIP with a 383 in dark turquoise. I PROBABLY should but I normally don't put my batteries on maintainers, I charge them after I take them out of the tractors then put them in a milk crate downstairs in the basement.

I remember pics of some of the MOPARs you folks have but can't place this dark turquoise Fury. Eric. Pics please! Love the bigger cars! I have maintainers around here so just as well use them on the off season batteries. Got 6 year old GT batteries that keep holding on so maybe it helps.

DAC

I remember pics of some of the MOPARs you folks have but can't place this dark turquoise Fury. Eric. Pics please! Love the bigger cars! I have maintainers around here so just as well use them on the off season batteries. Got 6 year old GT batteries that keep holding on so maybe it helps.

DAC

We actually have 3 turquoise Furys, 2 in light color turquoise and 1 in dark turquoise. My stepdad bought it from his long time friend who had the car sitting in his garage for about 20 years and the car was a true garage find. It was a 383 2 barrel but my stepdad is upgrading to a 4 barrel.

1701019175088.png

1701019763019.png

1701019787362.png

1701019844102.png

1701019890047.png

We actually have 3 turquoise Furys, 2 in light color turquoise and 1 in dark turquoise. My stepdad bought it from his long time friend who had the car sitting in his garage for about 20 years and the car was a true garage find. It was a 383 2 barrel but my stepdad is upgrading to a 4 barrel.

View attachment 75936

View attachment 75937

View attachment 75938

View attachment 75939

View attachment 75940
I bet that car is a beauty cleaned up and out in the sun, Eric! Thanks for the pics!

DAC

Hi All,

I have an update. Today I went to my fabrication shop to have them make a battery box and a belt guard for me for the tractor. Upon the suggestion of a member on MyTractorForum (or MTF), I brought the original “lawn and garden pro” battery I got with the tractor to Advance Auto to have them test it even though I let it charge for 2 days and it started in my yellow Craftsman even though it didn’t in the hydro. Well uh, that maybe the problem because when the guy tested it he said it was rated at 340 and it measured at 17 and that these types of batteries normally last 3 years anyway depending on how much it’s used. I also tested my tractor supply Traveller battery I got with my yellow Craftsman too, and that one is slightly better than the other one but not by much and will need to be replaced too in the spring. That one is rated at 250 and measured at 114. Right now my stepdad is working on my grandfathers tractor and it needs a battery, so I’m thinking when he buys the battery I’ll test it in the hydro first before he puts it in my grandfathers unless someone has any other ideas. This is all for now though.

Thanks

Hi All,

I have an update. Today I went to my fabrication shop to have them make a battery box and a belt guard for me for the tractor. Upon the suggestion of a member on MyTractorForum (or MTF), I brought the original “lawn and garden pro” battery I got with the tractor to Advance Auto to have them test it even though I let it charge for 2 days and it started in my yellow Craftsman even though it didn’t in the hydro. Well uh, that maybe the problem because when the guy tested it he said it was rated at 340 and it measured at 17 and that these types of batteries normally last 3 years anyway depending on how much it’s used. I also tested my tractor supply Traveller battery I got with my yellow Craftsman too, and that one is slightly better than the other one but not by much and will need to be replaced too in the spring. That one is rated at 250 and measured at 114. Right now my stepdad is working on my grandfathers tractor and it needs a battery, so I’m thinking when he buys the battery I’ll test it in the hydro first before he puts it in my grandfathers unless someone has any other ideas. This is all for now though.

Thanks
Hey Eric. See you're having battery issues. I'll say first is probably don't buy a now if you're not needing it (over winter) just because most only offer a 90 day warranty. And some wont last much longer.

A question I have is how Advance Auto tests a battery or better yet with what tool. keep in mine the tool they use is used to sell batteries. I'm curious how they came up with those numbers they gave you. Just never seen one that actually told you the cca rating of the battery and also the lower (load tested assuming) side. I always seen volt readings not cca readings. Then again there's lots I haven't seen.

Hey Eric. See you're having battery issues. I'll say first is probably don't buy a now if you're not needing it (over winter) just because most only offer a 90 day warranty. And some wont last much longer.

A question I have is how Advance Auto tests a battery or better yet with what tool. keep in mine the tool they use is used to sell batteries. I'm curious how they came up with those numbers they gave you. Just never seen one that actually told you the cca rating of the battery and also the lower (load tested assuming) side. I always seen volt readings not cca readings. Then again there's lots I haven't seen.
I agree, Bill. Never heard of measuring batteries that way. Of course I have never taken a battery in for testing, so that may have something to do with it!

DAC

Bill and Dac, I honestly have no idea what the tool was or what it was even called. I just brought the batteries in to get tested thinking nothing of the machine, I had no idea you guys would be interested in it. I can’t describe what the machine looked like besides that it had clamps exactly like a regular charger to put on the terminals. I brought the batteries to one store, so I may bring them to another to get a 2nd a opinion before I heev hoo. They will likely get the same reading but I will go get them tested again at some point to make sure and ask about the machine.

Replying to my post 71 on this page and also replying to Bill and Dac, I went to another Advance Auto and got the original battery that came with the hydro tested and asked about their testing machine. The first picture is one of the machines.

44CA4CB7-EF03-42CF-9E48-6EB87BB792B1.jpeg

I also had the original battery that I got with the yellow Craftsman tested while I was there, and I took a picture of what the machine read but it came out real blurry so we can move on. Long story short is the guy said it’s dead, dead not even worth charging. IF anyone wants to see just how bad the picture is, let me know and I’ll post it. The next pictures are of the original battery that came with the hydro getting tested and what it read.

4E47E672-E102-4A9C-835F-18BD5D5928A7.jpeg

4F2CEF45-64C2-42DF-AA3B-609EC645543A.jpeg

After this machine tested the battery, the guy said it could still possibly hold a charge so he put it in this machine below for 18 minutes to see what it could do.

1CECEE2F-2EAC-49FF-BBA8-CC012BE717F1.jpeg

After the 18 minutes was up, our suspicions were confirmed and the battery like the one that came with the yellow Craftsman was no good. So the plan (like before) is to get new batteries in the spring and see if the hydro starts.

7043C9A7-3357-4BAB-8590-3F8F10D5FD10.jpeg

That's all stuff I've never dealt with, Eric! Generally, I hang on and use batteries until they lose a cell---LOL! Won't charge past 10ish volts with a dead cell! 204 CCA would probably still start an engine. Just won't crank very long. One would have to hope the engine fires right away and the charging circuit of the tractor works right. Would probably need to be on a maintainer or started frequently.

DAC

Hi Everybody,

No update on the hydro since last time but I figured I would tell y’all that I got 2 harbor freight battery maintainers this past Friday for the 2 new batteries I plan to buy this coming spring. I got them on sale for $10.00 each. My stepdad has them on all his old Mopar car batteries and they seem to work good for him because the cars start up every year without having to be jump started, so hopefully they work just as good for me at the end of this year. This is all for now, until spring….

517DD980-85F0-4ADE-BDDF-7164D033039D.jpeg

E47442B2-6444-40C8-ADF3-E91B3A8466A7.jpeg

Hi Everybody,

No update on the hydro since last time but I figured I would tell y’all that I got 2 harbor freight battery maintainers this past Friday for the 2 new batteries I plan to buy this coming spring. I got them on sale for $10.00 each. My stepdad has them on all his old Mopar car batteries and they seem to work good for him because the cars start up every year without having to be jump started, so hopefully they work just as good for me at the end of this year. This is all for now, until spring….

View attachment 77659

View attachment 77660
" Most" of those do work good but I've had a couple that over charged to 15-16 volt and will boil water away.
Just check them with a voltage meter after they been on awhile and see what the voltage is. Ideally 13-13.5 volt is good.
But for the most part the are decent inexpensive maintainers for the money.
I personally don't trust them anymore.

I've got several of them all going at once. Haven't had Bill's problem ---YET! Usually check the voltage at least monthly, but it could be too late by that time. Better start checking them more often.

DAC
Yea Doug just keep an eye on them. Also mine were from 5-10 years ago that I had those issues so maybe the newer ones are better..
Ironically I'm I still have one on a generator and holds perfectly at 13.1 volt for a number of years now. But do keep an eye on it..

Back