Bolens 1886 Kwik-Way loader install

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
Friend bought a Kwik-Way loader and I am tasked to install it on his 1886. Gonna be a challenge. but I love that work. Here's some pics. First two are the pump which is being replaced.
DSCN0201.JPG DSCN0202.JPG

I brought the lower mount home as it would not work as he received it. It was only 15" wide, need 17.25". I got it ready for the new configuration.
DSCN0203.JPG

As of this evening.
DSCN0206.JPG

This will take a while to be accomplished. Stay tuned!

Brought the 1886 home today. Started looking over real estate for the lower frame work and found an issue right off. Right where the cross piece goes, the steering hangs down 1-3/4"~. Rethinking the lower mount now.
DSCN0215.JPG DSCN0216.JPG

Here's the uprights.
DSCN0217.JPG

Got and idea in my head, just gotta think a bit.

Brought the 1886 home today. Started looking over real estate for the lower frame work and found an issue right off. Right where the cross piece goes, the steering hangs down 1-3/4"~. Rethinking the lower mount now.
View attachment 51880 View attachment 51881

Here's the uprights.
View attachment 51882

Got and idea in my head, just gotta think a bit.
You'll over come that a little think a bit of fabricating and it will be like factory

A tad chilly this morning with the North winds, so I dwelt on an issue with the uprights. Where the angle brace to the front bolts on, they had tightened the bolt tight enough to start collapsing the upright square tube.
DSCN0218.JPG

These used 1/2" bolts so I found 2 short 3/8" iron pipe sections. Had to bore the inside out .05 +/- for the bolt to go through. Then drill the side that was flat out to accept this bushing.Once all that was done, stuck it in the 20-ton press and brought it back to near normal.
DSCN0219.JPG

Drilled through and set the bushing up for welding. Protrusion/welded side is opposite the angle bracket mount.
DSCN0220.JPG DSCN0221.JPG

Then got the measurements for the 2 X 3 mount and drilled some holes.
DSCN0222.JPG

Got the L/H side on.
DSCN0223.JPG

Then the R/H.
DSCN0224.JPG

And spotted the steering arm very close to where I want to put the loader mount out from under.
DSCN0225.JPG

May work out okay, I'll noodle it tomorrow.

Owner brought a new pump yesterday for this. We went over a few things. Happy with the progress thus far. So I can continue on with this direction. Lots of parts to cut out, drill holes and weld up. Hopefully today will see some more done.

A bit of progress today. I mocked up the R/H upright for the owner. He liked the location.

DSCN0226.JPG

So I went to work on the upright mounts. R/H side first. Don't pay attention to my markings!
DSCN0227.JPG DSCN0228.JPG
Here's the L/H side:
DSCN0229.JPG DSCN0230.JPG

Got those bolted back under the tractor and here's the side view.
DSCN0231.JPG

Stuck a 3/4 bar through the eyes and it's gonna work great.
DSCN0232.JPG

Think it'll work!

Back