Bought my first Predator engine.....

Are the outside tiller ends original?

By this I am referring to the ends of the tiller tine shaft. Looks like there is a flat iron that come across the front of the shield and down to the ends of the tine shaft to support the outside end. I need this on mine as it would save a lot of side pressure on the gear case seals.

Hopefully these pictures will help.

20190324_184827.jpg
20190324_184839.jpg
20190324_184816.jpg

Nice find Marty. Is that hard to lift. I passed on one last year for my SS15. It was in bad shape. Glad you were able to till. I was wanting to this weekend but still too wet.

Thanks for posting that Tahoe. That does look like it is a factory setup. Without the outside end supported there is a lot of side pressure on the seals and gear case. Going to look into re-working mine.

Pretty sure you might have an earlier model rotospader. This one is probably a late 70's, maybe even early 80's model.

Your certainly correct about that. Once in awhile their larger engines come up on sale also.

Another issue is I would need electric start as the tractor would have to drive off the flywheel side which would eliminate the pull start. Several years ago I picked up a Predator 10 hp to sub on my wood spliter. Worked good till it came to real tough chunk of wood and it did not have the hang power the old cast iorn 10 hp B&S had. Fixed up the Briggs and put it back on.

Is that hard to lift.t.

Yes, I really need some shorter lower arms which were used for the tiller and an electric actuator or hydro cyl would be nice.
I did buy some eye bolts and springs for 3pt assist, I hear they help a lot, guess I will see and post my modifications.

Interesting thread.. I just purchased the 8 HP Preadator Biggest disappointment is that electric start isn't an option.

I'm putting it in a golf cart so we will use the starter generator that is common on golf carts. The next bigger motor (13 hp) is a better buy as it offers electric start and more power. This is My first Harbour Freight motor,

The local HF store doesn't stock any parts of any sort for anything so we will hope for the best.

Interesting thread.. I just purchased the 8 HP Preadator Biggest disappointment is that electric start isn't an option.

I'm putting it in a golf cart so we will use the starter generator that is common on golf carts. The next bigger motor (13 hp) is a better buy as it offers electric start and more power. This is My first Harbour Freight motor,

The local HF store doesn't stock any parts of any sort for anything so we will hope for the best.

Is that an electric to gas or just replacing the old gas motor? I've been watching a lot of conversion videos lately.

You can find all kinds of replacement or hop up parts all other the internet for the Predators at least the 6.5 and 420's, just have to do a quick search.

I've seen the DuroMax 7h.p. with electric start for 229. +/-.
Which are very similar to the Predators.

Is that an electric to gas or just replacing the old gas motor? I've been watching a lot of conversion videos lately.

You can find all kinds of replacement or hop up parts all other the internet for the Predators at least the 6.5 and 420's, just have to do a quick search.

Replacing a gas motor with a Predator, The original motor is about the same cc's as the 8 hp HF motor. I goto swap meets with the cart so speed is not an issue. One of the swap meets is in Rutledge MO. Way to big to walk even if I was young. I suspect that the 6.5 hp would suit my needs however if we decide to sell the cart the bigger motor should sell easier.
I realize that parts are available however it would be nice to be able to get parts at the local HF outlet. They are good about replacing product if something goes wrong within a reasonable amount of time.

Half the time dealers for name brand equipment here do not have th parts and need to order them.
Local Simplicity dealer is such a animal have to drive 35 miles one way to get a part today.
Screw that noise just get on the computer and order whet I need and wait a cople days and save gas money.
So why would ordering a part for a HF engine be any diffrerent?

I have a Earth Quake auger tied up right now because i can't find a screw and a tiny spring for a Tilson HU carb that is on it. they don't sell the whole carb any longer that I have found.
Also seems people who have junked out small engines like string trimmers leafe blowers and such either didn't keep the small carb or parts from them our just don't want to let them go.

:D Al

I've not regretted the swap I had to do on my MF12G. It's been a great engine. Think it's about 3 years old doing mowing and snow plowing chores. Pretty much any Honda part will fit these engines if Predator parts can't be had. I haven't had to replace anything so far.

DAC

12-26-15 003.jpg12-26-15 004.jpg

I've not regretted the swap I had to do on my MF12G. It's been a great engine. Think it's about 3 years old doing mowing and snow plowing chores. Pretty much any Honda part will fit these engines if Predator parts can't be had. I haven't had to replace anything so far.

DAC

View attachment 11916View attachment 11917
Looks like it fit in there real nice. Is that the 13hp ?
And you changed the air filter ? And you did something different with the muffler...????

Half the time dealers for name brand equipment here do not have th parts and need to order them.
Local Simplicity dealer is such a animal have to drive 35 miles one way to get a part today.
Screw that noise just get on the computer and order whet I need and wait a cople days and save gas money.
So why would ordering a part for a HF engine be any diffrerent?

I have a Earth Quake auger tied up right now because i can't find a screw and a tiny spring for a Tilson HU carb that is on it. they don't sell the whole carb any longer that I have found.
Also seems people who have junked out small engines like string trimmers leafe blowers and such either didn't keep the small carb or parts from them our just don't want to let them go.

:D Al
Tillotson HU sounds familiar.... I think they used that carb on the old Jacobsen sno burst paddle style snow blowers. I remember buying a "non runner" for some silly little part for a carb like that, I wound up fixing the non runner and giving that back to the customer instead of their original machine...… everything else besides a nasty carb, was better on the "parts" machine than it was on theirs.

Looks like it fit in there real nice. Is that the 13hp ?
And you changed the air filter ? And you did something different with the muffler...????

Thanks for the comment. Yes 13 HP. It is tight and definitely wasn't a bolt-in engine swap, but it was worth all the work since I couldn't find an overbore piston for an HH120.

The Predator air cleaner was only a little piece of sponge, but the cover was too big to fit under the hood of the Massey 12G. The element is the same one as the HH120 just without the can. Now both of my tractors use the same air filter element. The base is the plastic one that came with the engine, just I cut all the top stuff off and built a stud. Cut the lid from an old Briggs can. The muffler pipe is iron and I cut that and welded it back together to go out sideways.

I did a build thread on GTT and had a lot of good help and advice, especially from DH1 who had done similar swaps on hydros. Mine is a gear with vari-speed so that was new to work out belts and such.

DAC

Thanks for the comment. Yes 13 HP. It is tight and definitely wasn't a bolt-in engine swap, but it was worth all the work since I couldn't find an overbore piston for an HH120.

The Predator air cleaner was only a little piece of sponge, but the cover was too big to fit under the hood of the Massey 12G. The element is the same one as the HH120 just without the can. Now both of my tractors use the same air filter element. The base is the plastic one that came with the engine, just I cut all the top stuff off and built a stud. Cut the lid from an old Briggs can. The muffler pipe is iron and I cut that and welded it back together to go out sideways.

I did a build thread on GTT and had a lot of good help and advice, especially from DH1 who had done similar swaps on hydros. Mine is a gear with vari-speed so that was new to work out belts and such.

DAC
How would you compare the difference in power between the Tecumseh and the Predator. Since they're 1 hp different.?

I bought this 6 1/2 "Grayhound" engine around two weeks ago at auction for $55 . Greyhound is what HF use to sell before the new Predators engines. This motor was a NOS that was still in its sealed unopened box. Has a manufacturing date of 2009. Little worried about sitting for 10 years. Put gas and oil in and ONE pull it started. Honestly I've never had a motor start so easily.

Put it on a go kart that had a Tecumseh power sport engine. Biggest piece of junk I ever pulled my back out over..!

IMG_20190330_065803.jpgIMG_20190330_065819.jpg

IMG_20190330_065831.jpg

Back