Craftsman 917.273100 2000 Estate find

I found an Owners Manual for this Larry. Says your deck to PTO belt is a 136573 BELT (1/2" x 83"). The 54" deck uses a 5/8" belt to run it all. Other than that, it would fit under there. I've been hanging onto it in case I find a mower like that with a bad deck!

OK, we busted 4 mandrel bolts and a finger yesterday, Here is how I fix these.

This method works well on mandrel through hole broken bolts.

Start off center punching the broken bolt as close to center as possible.

Make the part as level as possible, I used a stack of washers to achieve this.

Use plenty of oil, sharp bits, and clean often. Drill all the way through, and check it didn’t drift.

Step up the drill size till the hole will accept the tap.

Use the same drill / washer setup to “Manually” start the tap in a couple turns.

Finish up by hand tapping, One down three more to go.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 15
thanks Kenny, I just finished drilling and tapping them. they are good to go, but I saved the link. I am discussing an option with my neighbor of cutting the mounts off the bad deck and welding them on the 50" that is on BOH. I have his original 44" stored. Might see if that deck can be made to fit both. I think that would be an easier route than trying to adapt your 54". Another option would to be cut the damaged area off, and cut a matching peice off the good deck and weld up. I can use everything off the cut up deck as spares. I'll see what he says.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 15
I found another deck that the metal can be cut off and grafted on to the damaged deck. Hope my neighbor can pull this off. On another note, it looks like the transaxle has an external filter, and no evidence of leaks. hope this means changing the fluid should be easy.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 11
Larry, some heat applied to the mandrel ears with a propane torch will most of the time make the bolts come loose as the aluminum has a higher expansion rate than the steel bolt. I always apply some O/A heat to them and they always come loose. Antiseize will make the next time a cinch.
Mike

Neighbor said he didn't have the right kind of steel to repair the deck. I am in the process of stripping a Sears SS 50" deck and see if he can transfer the steel from it to the Craftsman deck. I don't want to trash a good working 50" deck on BOH. Critter approves of the Craftsman Pro.
Anyone need parts of a SS 50" deck?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 13
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 10
Moving on. Hood is a PITA to remove, 88's just slip over pins, this one is bolted. Draining the questionable gas. Stopping for this evening.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 11
I talked with a person at the company (Mastercraft) that fabricated the muffler and welded the auger on my Roper. Showed him the pictures of the damaged deck. He has to get with his boss, but thinks they can fix me up.

My process is to do one or two things to the Tractor each work night. Here is the progress so far. Foot Rests, Fender pan, Gas Tank, and steering wheel removed. It is a much nicer process to not deal with rusted bolts. The more I look at this the less I am thinking of a full restore, but just go with the mechanical repairs. I'll leave the engine and transaxle attached and do a detailed frame pressure wash. Change all fluids filters, and fuel lines, and go over all the steering bushings.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 19
Battery and Dash removed. Need to dig deep to check the steering bushings. Engine and Steering tower will need to be removed. Many detailes pictures taken for re-assembly, here is a few.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 8
Tonight's progress. PTO and Engine is removed. The engine mounting bolts were knuckle busters. Looks like the drag link and tie rod ends will need replaced as they are pretty sloppy. Plan to take the "rolling chassis" out again for another pressure washing. Pool needs some water too.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 11
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 12
Started this morning with an oil change on the Ranger. Then moved everyone out of the way so to get the rolling chassis out for a pressure wash. After seeing the before and after pictures, I went back and got the rest of the crud off the axles. About this time the humidity got thicker so I moved every one back inside.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 10
Win some loose some. Looking at the front axle difference this has a solid axle vs the stamped ones on the Craftsman II's. The wires to the seat safety switch go nowhere, and the switch is MIA. Looking at the underneath picture I see the hydro fan is toast (added to my parts list) and the Mesquite has already struck.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 8
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 13
Ready for a nap. While fixing supper I was working on the steering tower removal, concentrating on the wires. The HOT wire looks like an accident waiting to happen, rubbing on the Brake lock lever. Mystery Blue wire should go to an optional hour meter. Need to figure out the mystery white wire. Standard mystery connector with red wires on one side are for an optional electric deck lift. Found where they spliced the green wires that would have gone to the seat switch. I think the black wire goes with the blue for the optional hour meter. Supper happened, baby back ribs with sweet baby ray, and home-made macaroni salad. Not sure how much I’ll get done this evening.

Attachments

• 0 wire.jpg
    0 wire.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg