DIY ethanol free gasoline

TAHOE

Tractorologist
Has anyone remove ethanol from gas? I know you can put in additive, but then that just makes a nice layer of ethanol/mix on the bottom.
I've been watching videos of guy adding water to gas, shaking a few times, then they flip container and drain off water which supposedly
removes the ethanol. I've been having ethanol issues with my Sears carb, but really not sure about actually dumping water into my gas.
Opinions?

It must be the area as lot of guys up in the NE complain about Ethanol in the gas. I have used Ethanol gas for years in everything and no issues. Can let it sit for several months with Sta-bil in it and still good to go. I think there is other issues with the gas we are not aware of that is causing the problems.

I believe the theory is that ethanol will dissolve in gas but dissolves better in water. If you put water in, the ethanol dissolves in the water then you remove the water ethanol mix.

If you had a glass container with a port on the bottle so you could visually see the layer of water/gas then you could semi accurately drain off the what you need to then put dry gas or the like in there to clean up water you missed.

I believe the theory is that ethanol will dissolve in gas but dissolves better in water. If you put water in, the ethanol dissolves in the water then you remove the water ethanol mix.

If you had a glass container with a port on the bottle so you could visually see the layer of water/gas then you could semi accurately drain off the what you need to then put dry gas or the like in there to clean up water you missed.

There were a few guys on the "tube" who put food color in their water when they added it and also made marks on the container of exactly how much water went in. Then after they shook it up some they showed how much more, sometime its was like 8-12 ounces more in a gallon which 12 ounces is about 10% in a gallon so that would be accurate if gas has 10% ethanol.

You put dry gas in and you're putting ethanol right back in the gas

You put dry gas in and you're putting ethanol right back in the gas

5oz of dry gas treats a tankful of fuel. a gallon or two would take a very small amount.

But I do not believe they are the same thing dry gas is azeotropic iso-propyl alcohol. Ethanol is a different type of alcohol. Ethyl-alcohol. I'm not chemist though.

Ethanol is made from corn much like the Moon Shiners Stills were operated. The tank cars that transport the ethanol from the refinery has a set amount of straight gas in each car to make it unfit for human consumption and to avoid liquor control regulations. The Moon Shiners dumped their mash after making their "liquor" where the ethanol refineries process the mash further and the dried product, corn gluton is sold back to be mixed in with cattle feed.

I'm sure glad we have two octanes of E-free gasoline easily available here. It has saved me some headaches. Hope you figure out how to get it done Marty.

DAC

I still question if our tax dollars are still subsidizing ethanol production. And if so why? After this many years you'd think the ethanol producers could stand on their own.
Mike

To the best of my knowledge the ethanol plants are investor owned, most of the $$ comes from the farmers. There is a big demand for ethanol, not only in the US but world wide. The corn is bought from the farmer usually at a little above market price by a couple cents. Dominoe effect from there on. There may be some tax incentives for new plants but for tax $$ keeping them running, I doubt it.

There may be some tax incentives for new plants but for tax $$ keeping them running, I doubt it.
Unless things have recently changed every gallon of ethanol is subsidized by you and me. That's the only reason they are able to sell it cheaper.
The following info was found doing a quick search.
Note:
It takes about 29 percent more energy to refine a gallon of ethanol than gasoline.

CATO AT LIBERTY

FEBRUARY 9, 2017 1:46PM
Time to Repeal Ethanol Subsidies
By CHRIS EDWARDS
The federal government provides an array of subsidies to increase the consumption of biofuels such as corn ethanol. The subsidies include tax breaks, grants, loans, and loan guarantees. The government also imposes a mandate to blend biofuels into gasoline and diesel fuels.

The govt. provides subsidies to increase CONSUMPTION of bio fuels, etc.. Nothing mentioned about PRODUCTION of bio fuels. I am not an expert in this field so not going say positively one way or the other.

It may cost more to refine ethanol but what about the cost of the raw material, crude oil v. field corn ? 1` bushel of corn at $3.50 a bushel can produce 2.8 gallons of ethanol, plus about 18 lbs of dried distillers grain. A 42 gal barrel at $90/brl produces about 40 gal af gas and 11 gal of diesel. Not much difference when the numbers are crunched.

last I looked oil is nowhere near $90/barrel, more like $50...…. we're right around $2/ gallon at the pump for reg.
What I don't understand, is why we were 10 cents/ gallon variance from reg to mid grade to premium for years and now its 30 cents difference, sometimes 60 cents between mid grade and premium.... Whether needed for most cars or not is besides the point, but they really must not want to sell much of the better grades....

I am not an expert in this field so not going say positively one way or the other.
Me either!
I'm glad that the farmers are getting a hand with grain prices. I would rather see our taxes used here at home rather than given to some dictator somewhere.
But I don't like being fed a line of BS about how good ethanol is for our engines. I've seen more damage to carburetors and fuel systems from ethanol than anything else I can think of.

Me either!
But I don't like being fed a line of BS about how good ethanol is for our engines. I've seen more damage to carburetors and fuel systems from ethanol than anything else I can think of.

Fuel systems have to up be graded some time. All of my carbs have had a new kit put in them so I don't worry about ethanol gas. Same with fuel pumps. Some problems show up with the valves in the older engines that were built to run on leaded gas and lead additive is not used. Ethanol will definitely work on the older gaskets, seals, etc.. I guess if one don't like ethanol they can do the hunting to find the gas that don't have it. There is a day coming you won't have a choice. Kind of like "You don't have to like it just learn to live with it." No way on Gods green earth am I going to pay upwards of $12 a gal for non ethanol gas.

Back