DIY ethanol free gasoline

I'm currently driving a 99 F-250 SD with the 7.3 out of my 01 that got totalled. The 99 had 536,??? miles on it when the transmission broke something in it when I put it in reverse one day so I pulled the 7.3 engine and transmission complete out of the 01 with 312,??? miles and dropped it in last spring. I still have the 99 engine in the shed to use if I ever might need it. Dad's truck is a 02 7.3 with just over 200,000 miles on it.

@FixItCharlie

The 7.3 is a great engine. Drove a 2002 F550 box truck that was brand new. We would load that truck up heavy. It never drove any different loaded or unloaded power wise. It just dug deep and kept pulling.

I drove it for a year until I quit then it was used up until 2013 when they retired it. Injectors were the only problem they really had with it.

When it was the primary it got a 15k oil change every 45ish days. It was constantly on the road.

I had a F250 Ford with an International diesel in it. I think it was the last year Ford did that. Standard transmission. Hard to start and had to carry glow plugs and tools to change in the glove box. Most of the time it would not go in reverse with the engine running. Use it a season to pull a hay trailer and unloaded it. Went back to a Chevy.

Cheiffan, Ford used the International built diesel engines until 2011 when Ford used their own diesel engine. The 6.9, 7.3, 6.0 & 6.4 where all International built engines. The 6.7 diesel engine introduced in 2011 was a true designed and built Ford power plant. A company out of Australia helped Ford design the engine.
1983 was the first year you could buy a Ford pickup or van with a 6.9 diesel in it. In 1988 it became the 7.3 and in 1993 Ford and International introduced the turbo charged 7.3.
I don't remember ever seeing a diesel in the trucks until 1987. I've owned them since my first one in 1988.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Ford Diesel I had was an early 90's. Needed something quick to pull a30' 5th wheel with a load of small square hay bales on it. Had about 1500 to deliver at various places so the neighbor gave me a good deal on the Ford so took it. Pulled good but sure wasn't economy minded.

Back