DIY ethanol free gasoline

Ethanol produces more power then gasoline that is why most major racing engines run on 100% ethanol. The problem will dissolve many type of gasket material & also it absorbs water easier. Replacing the gasket material to something that ethanol does not effect cures this problem. As long as the water is control it actually increases octane. When they first started making lead free gas I started using a water injection on my truck that I had increased the compression ratio & advanced the timing for more power. Doing some research I find that many 87 octane gas would not run in most vehicles because a lot of gasoline producer cheapen the production of gas because they know that adding ethanol will allow it to run in most cars.
Charlie

The oil companies control the gas we use, one way or another. Then the stations control what the price at the pump will be. Lot of times we will have $.10 difference for the same gas at the same branded station 20 miles apart. .

I run reg gas in most stuff that will be run frequently. Semi frequently, I use treatments. Other stuff, pee free.
As for the $12 a gal, I paid 3.25 a gal just two nites back.
And NO I do NOT have to learn to live with it.

Maybe no choice in the qtys I burn in the daily driver, but if I feel the need to run eth free fuel in something, damn it, I will go find it. Right up to the day they no longer make it... and even then, I’ll keep looking. Maybe even try Marty’s approach. Hell, I’ve got enough copper line and a freezer big enough to distill, if that’s possible.

Same as my neighbor with the older diesels. He has enough Dodge truck bodies and engine parts to drive urea-less until he turns in his license.

Last edited:
As for the $12 a gal, I paid 3.25 a gal just two nites back.
And NO I do NOT have to learn to live with it.

I just looked at a can of ethanol free in the chain saw section in a Farm & Home store, $11.95 a gallon. I bought ethanol gas at $1.95 day before yesterday. Ethanol takes the hit for other problem that people don't know they have can't find, so blame it on ethanol. It can't fight back.

As far as NOT learning to live with it, we will see about that.

In our area non ethanol is making a comeback, not declining. 85 octane Efree runs around 30 cents a gallon more, and 91 will be about 75 cents a gallon more than E10. I will buy it until it's no longer available too for my carbureted vehicles and equipment.

When it comes to race cars, at our local dirt track we run 3 alcohol classes and they are Methanol not Ethanol. It's a very touchy fuel that needs twice the size of jets in a carb over gas and the fuel injected cars will drink a 6 to 10 gallons in a 20 lap race of about 10 miles. It sucks up humidity in storage like a sponge too. To start them cold, spraying gas in the carb first or squirting gas down the injectors is normally needed. Even in open air the exhaust fumes from methanol can make your eyes sting and water like you rubbed raw onions in them!

DAC

I'm buying AV100 for all my stuff, it really runs good in 2 & 4 cycle engines old and new. I've been paying $4.00 a gallon at the airfield for it. It stays good for at least 5 years per FAA regulations and the 2 strokes seem to use less than regular fuel. I've not had any engine issues at all and been running it for 5 or 6 years now

Last edited:
I'm buying AV100 for all my stuff, it really rund good in 2 & 4 cycle engines old and new. I've been paying $4.00 a gallon at the airfield for it. It stays good for at least 5 years per FAA regulations and the 2 strokes seem to use less than regular fuel. I've not had any engine issues at all and been running it for 5 or 6 years now

Back in the 1970's and 1980's we would use Av gas in the racecars. Then it was a very "dry" fuel and we would add a quart of 40 or 50wt racing oil to a 55 gallon drum. It was around 4 or 5 bucks a gallon back then when pump gas was a buck a gallon or so!

Sounds like you are getting a great deal on that av gas Brian!

DAC

I'm buying AV100 for all my stuff, it really rund good in 2 & 4 cycle engines old and new. I've been paying $4.00 a gallon at the airfield for it. It stays good for at least 5 years per FAA regulations and the 2 strokes seem to use less than regular fuel. I've not had any engine issues at all and been running it for 5 or 6 years now
That $4.00 a gallon may be fine if you only have a couple small gas engines like a line trimmer or trim mower and only use a few gallons a year. Not many people want to spend their money that way but it is an option but not for me. If ethanol is so "bad" why haven't I had any problems with it ? ?

That $4.00 a gallon may be fine if you only have a couple small gas engines like a line trimmer or trim mower and only use a few gallons a year. Not many people want to spend their money that way but it is an option but not for me. If ethanol is so "bad" why haven't I had any problems with it ? ?

If your using all your small engines every week or 2 you won't have many issues if any at all. The problem that most of us see with Ethanol is when you don't drain the carburator the Ethanol gas will cause corrosion and a slime to grow in the carburator. I don't know why or what a it is that causes it but I do know that if I don't run the carb dry or use an additive like Sea Foam or Sta-Bil the gasoline goes bad in any of my stuff that I only use a few times a year.

If your using an additive, have you looked at how much it is costing you per ounce to add to every gallon of gas you use? It's pretty expensive when you actually add it all up.

Maybe your just getting better gas than most of can get.

I just looked at a can of ethanol free in the chain saw section in a Farm & Home store, $11.95 a gallon. I bought ethanol gas at $1.95 day before yesterday.QUOTE]

I'm sure there are locations in your area that sells Ethanol free gasoline. You live in one of the biggest dirt racing states in the country that run both Ethanol and "Pump Gasoline" classes. I wouldn't be running E-free gasoline if I had to pay $12.00 a gallon for it either.

If your using all your small engines every week or 2 you won't have many issues if any at all. The problem that most of us see with Ethanol is when you don't drain the carburator the Ethanol gas will cause corrosion and a slime to grow in the carburator. I don't know why or what a it is that causes it but I do know that if I don't run the carb dry or use an additive like Sea Foam or Sta-Bil the gasoline goes bad in any of my stuff that I only use a few times a year.

If your using an additive, have you looked at how much it is costing you per ounce to add to every gallon of gas you use? It's pretty expensive when you actually add it all up.

Maybe your just getting better gas than most of can get.
That is what I was seeing. The Ethanol does fine in my PU that I drive a lot. Just doesn't do well in the small engines that may not run for a while!

I run non ethanol gas in all my small engines including my wheeler and outboard motor. I've run ethanol gas in both my vehicles for yrs with no problems. The car is 30 yrs old and still running good and strong. I won't get into the debate over ethanol reducing gas mileage as I've never conducted my own test of it. I've read dozens of times ethanol has fewer BTU's than gas and therefore reduces MPG.
Mike

I use Sta-bil in all my gas from about October through March. Rest of the year everyhting get run enough I don't use it. Get the gas in 5 gal containers and add it before I fill them. For no more than it takes it is not that expensive. Buy the large bottles and a couple will run year or more. I have not done any comparison of the fuel mileage either and probably won't as to much variance in use, like pulling the trailer, Interstate, etc. Most of the time I drive with the 'Instant Mileage" up and try to keep it above 16 all the time. Drive a horse you have to feed a horse. No 6 bangers around here.

But I don't like being fed a line of BS about how good ethanol is for our engines. I've seen more damage to carburetors and fuel systems from ethanol than anything else I can think of.
Also, there is the fact that ethanol doesn't get as good of mileage. You have to spend more.
No way on Gods green earth am I going to pay upwards of $12 a gal for non ethanol gas.
At this time, it's about 55 cents more around here.

In the fall I buy ethanol free gas for the last tank full. Also run a teaspoon full of Marvel Mystery oil in a gallon of gas in all my older engines including an old 1970 car. I haven't had a problem since we started doing the mystery oil regiment.
I also use Marvel Oil in my Diesels, 2 lawn mowers and 2 trucks although some manufactures of the newer diesels recommend not using any additives. All of my Diesels are pre def.

Station about 15 miles from me sells pure gas. Its 50 or so cents more a gallon. I buy some for my premixed stuff. Seems the tiny carbs hate ethanol
I have "tiny carbs" in 3 chains saws, 2 line trimmers and a trim mower and they eat it like candy.

Back